Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Racer12

Racer12

P.S. the racing pics are in the first link at about the 60th pic. Sorry Sam Adams is to blame for not putting that in the first post. :):confused::D

Bob

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thats a new one on me, kinda cool though, sort of between a U.S. T.Q. and full midget, thanks.

3. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Today 2-15-09 I beleve is the day of the fund raiser for The Rich Vogler Schlorship in Indianapolis Ind.

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Racer12. That's pretty cool. I love the storage of the trailers.. "just lean er' up against the fence!"

:eek:

JD

5. Racer12

Racer12

I know it looks so simple down there. Just hook up the trailer and throw the tools in the trunk and it's time to go racing! You couldn't even run go carts or mini sprints on the budget it seems they have.

Bob

6. jimg12

jimg12

Anybody going to Zephyrhills?
    Jim Graybeal

7. jwracer14

jwracer14
    from Illinois

Actually Gary Bettenhausen won the Hut 100 in 1976 driving Howard Linne's Edmunds with a 2x4 sesco.

8. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

that's why it's called NAPCAR racin'

9. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

The posts about Hoettel's 2x4 reminded me of Jerry Wall's 'Yellow Jacket' rear engined midget. Wall built his own v/4 Chevy for the car, which he also built. I was a gofer for the Shehan/Stover car at the Crown 100 in Philly's J.F.K. Stadium when I took the following pics. The #5 car is Wall's, the #96 is eventual winner Gary B. The #25 Toth Offy was drivin by Smokey Drulette, a female racer I'd never heard of before this race, and not since. Wish I had better pics from that nite.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Rotta14

Rotta14

The HOT ROD magazine article was February 1970. A 3x page article
    " SESCO-the semi-chevy". The magazine sold then for 50c US.

Bob O.

11. Graham08

Graham08

Sorry about that. I was just relaying information I got from somebody I thought was a reliable source.

Any pictures of either car you can post? I remember watching your dad and brother racing against the roadsters when I was a kid.

12. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

We where at Ron's home in Milwaukee when he gave us a look at his half air conditioner, he was great at cutting things in half and making it better!

13. TraderJack

TraderJack

14. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

15. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

That race has been a Running joke in our shop for years! ANYTIME anyone does something "questionable" they follow it up with a quick: "well, my right rear ran over his left front.. so, OBVIOUSLY I was in front!" :D

That's some good shit.

I loved it then, and a I love it now. Yeah, I can see ya being pissed about it, if your guy was on the "shit end" but I'm still, and always will be a Stewart fan.

"I mean, Obviously I was in front... what's wrong with them guys"

:D:D

16. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I know this is no where near the 1969 cutoff date in this thread, but I own (and raced until 2001) the 1986 challenger midget chassis (Mike Streicher's car) that sammy swindell ran in the first Chili bowl. with the car now 23 years old and the 25th anniversary of the chili bowl 2 years away anyone think I should consider restoring the car?? It's been a great car that brought me a couple championships when it was rapidly approaching 15 years old.

This is the "blurb" from the chili bowl website about that race:

Sammy Swindell, two-time World of Outlaws champion, moved into the second position from his tenth starting spot by lap twelve but his drive was over when he hooked a tire marker relegating him to the back after his spin. He charged back to sixth in the Streicher Quick Printer Challenger VW #8.

17. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

That steering wheel on the blue Riverside Tires , a.k.a. Peters Offy is far out! I owned, and raced , that car and have its total history. It never had a wheel close to that!

18. Corngrower, Last Feb. 4th, post # 422, you inquired about a car or cars used in the movie "Please-Lady" & showed a wrapped & crated body of a race car. This was continued thru posts 603, 1341, 1382 & 1384.

If you have in your possession or can get to see one, look at the Indy Race Car Archives by Gordon White, page 30. The picture looks the same as the one of the car in a driveway I think post 1384. See what you think. Your info seems to match Gordon's pretty close. I don't have a scanner or I would post it. If need be, I can get someone to post it for me.

Lastly, have you been to site "Firstturnpro.com". They currently have 5 yrs of color shots of Indy cars; '41, '51, '52, '53, '54 & '55. In '51, page 2, look for car w/black nose. It also looks very similar. No idea what the car is or who the driver is. Have a good day, ml9.

19. Looking for info. Firstturnpro.com has 6 years of race & car pictures w/water marks thos, from 1941 & 1951 to 1955. In the year of 1951 a white car #62 is shown with the name "Motor Trends". In Fox's Indy history, he shows driver Bill Cantrell & owner John F. Koehnle & a Wayne Chev. Car dnq. Does anyone know anything about this car?? I'm thinking the name ties to the auto mag. of the same name. Just wondering, ml9.

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I don't know anything, but you might want to PM Hamber Dan Warner (his hamb name also)as his dad, Harry, had taken over producing the Wayne 12 port then and he was also campaigning a Wayne powered Indy car, of his own, around that time.

21. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Ted Horn at Dayton, 1948. Ray Peterson Photo from the collection of Skip Peterson...

[​IMG]

22. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Tony Stewart will always be a racers racer.He is great for the sport even open wheel.

23. sideways27

sideways27

Racer8, I agree with you.

I know, I should not write this as it is only 69 and before and I apologize to all, but racers are racers and this is our sport. I have to say something about Tony and belive it or not he was not one of my heros up until the past two years.
    In my Opinion, (I have to get this off my chest)
    Tony Stewart is the MAN, and the REAL DEAL, he puts his own money there to prove it. Tony did not forgot about his ROOTS and where he came from, as he has given back to the sport of racing like no other person has ever done. He is creating a great racing enviroment (Tony's race track) and I think he is trying to show other race tracks and promoters what the drivers and fans really want. He is also spending his own time and money in open wheel race cars, (Modifieds, Sprints and Midgets) while giving some young drivers a chance to advance to higher levels of racing. I know other drivers in racing have done this in the past but Tony is not focused in one specific area, he is involved in all parts of racing and his actions speak for themselves. On top of all this, now he is running his own team and doing quite well for the first race. This guy is unbelievable and I just hope everyone feels the way I do and just what kind of racer he really is. Love him or hate him Tony deserves respect in the sport of racing.

Dam, now I feel better.

24. Bob Coutts

Bob Coutts

I agree with you about the tail tanks. If it is a 20 lap race or a 50 lap race you should have fuel for the distance. The open trailers were attention getters but we were forced to the enclosed trailer because of vandalism and theft. Promoters now days are a joke.

25. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

I am a big Stewart fan, but as far as Tony giving back more than anybody ever, thats not true. If there was a way to know each mans totals, in all ways, ill bet AJ Foyt would be far ahead! Not saying that Tony wont catch up, but as of now AJ is well ahead.
    Thank God for both these guys.

26. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Amen & Amen sideways27 on TONY STWART

27. racer5c

racer5c

I would have to disagree with you on that, The things Stewart has done are unbelievable, from buying a house for an old named Crocky Wright who is in his late 80's, to having Midget, and Sprint Car teams, I personally know guys he has sent a check to to help them, Stewart has a bigger heart than most people will ever know.

28. Bob Higman will go on for 30 minutes about how good a guy Tony Stewart is.

Emmitt hahn and Lanny Edwards will go for an hour each.