Register now to get rid of these ads!

Volare clip* will an alignment correct this?!?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SMOKINFLATHEAD, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Sounds like most other threads I've read, they either love them or hate them. Its okay, I found a good home for my old one and it will be loved. Now just need something for my project.

2. TexasDart

TexasDart

if they are too soft...then just upgrade the torsion bars to bigger diameter bars. If you lower them too much you will need to do this to get the spring rate you need.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

SMOKINFLATHEAD-your truck sits great, nice job. Luv the "chameleon" paint job. Does it change colors with water (Ha)? The Merc is really kool too. Thanks for pics. CharlieLed-great pic of a clean install, Thanks. Volare under wife's '50 Chev PU and it has been great. Have one under '47 Merc Coupe I recently got and it is too wide to lower much. Brakes not as responsive as I would like. Steering too quick. Stuff I still need to work on. Along the way someone lowered frontend and did not do a fresh alignment and screwed up good tires.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  4. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

There are no bigger diameter bars (least up to 10 years ago) for the cross torsion bars. That is one of the problems. The heavy duty versions only had larger diameter sway bars. Even with the bigger sway bars, they were still mushy on hard corners. Gene

5. What did those spindles run you? I have not done the spindles yet and have thought that it might cause great improvements.
    Thanks

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Jalopy Joker,
    I have been clipping cars/trucks out for 30+ years, done over 45 cars/trucks with Chevelles, Camaro's, Nova's and the popular Mustang II type. Lots of FatMan and Heits front clips also.
    The only reason I used the Volare on the '50 Dodge was because the customer brought it to me with the truck and I thought what the heck I will do one. Like anything else once it's done it seems and looks easy BUT getting there was no picnic.
    I did take pick's along the way BUT that was last summer and long gone off the camera & computer. He does live close by and it will be coming back for wiring so I can get more pic's if need be. He chose not to run a front bumper but instead rolled the front pan so no front truck frame horns needed, you may want a bumper. No matter you still need a place for the core support mount and the bars can be in the way. The truck ended up with a SBC and 350 tranny, steering was in the way, had to move motor over to passenger side an inch or so.
    I think it will sit and ride great BUT I would not recommend or do it again on that type truck. The Volare got it's 15 minutes of fame when they were installed on the '40z & '50z Ford P/U. They fit nice and are very easy to do on the Ford not on the Dodge. Look for a '64-'67 GM Olds, Chevelle, etc. front clip it will give you the best ride/handling of all. Next best would be a Mustang II if you dail the ride in. Sorry for the big print don't know what happened!

7. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

$534.00 with shipping. They go for $525 from fatman. I bought mine through Gambino Customs. As I get a discount for being an alliance member. Down side is it would have been cheaper if I didn't live in CA. (sales tax)