Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead tranny adapter ID PLEASE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eyeball, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Well this is disappointing…I have had this adapter for a few years now. I have a 322 nailhead (at the machine shop) that I am going to put in my 51 merc. Last night I thought I should check how the adapter fit on the tranny and guess what, no fit! It was supposed to adapt the 322 to 49-51 Merc / Ford tranny but it is not if this is the right tranny. I have not pulled the tranny out of my merc and the tranny in the pic is a spare I picked up but it looks correct to me.

Here is a pic of the spare tranny.
    [​IMG]

Anyone ID this adapter?
    [​IMG]

2. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

I think its oldsmobile. Only because the starter is on the driver side and the pattern looks similar to a caddy.

3. No , it does fit the nailhead. I checked that before I sent it off to the machine shop I just never bothered to check the tranny untill last night.

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

buick to cad lasalle transmission

5. That is not a trans adapter! It is a factory stock buick nailvalve bellhousing. I took some pictures of mine as you can see the buick trans is similar to a ford but it has a cover on the trans bottom and the impuit cover floats in the bell and the bolt pattern in different. :cool: Oldwolf

Attached Files:

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

you have the same adapter and a Cadillac transmission

7. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Paul is 100% correct. The bellhousing is an aftermarket adapter (looks to be an old 'Trans-Dapt' brand)
    It is for a 53-56 Buick 264 or 322" Nailhead engine to a 37-48 Cadillac, LaSalle or 1949 Oldsmobile transmission.

Oldwolf has the same adapter and what appears to be a '49 Oldstransmission. (1949 would have a short/open drive tailshaft that is seen in the first pic he posted). Cad/LaSalle (and 49 Olds) had the bottom cover. Buicks ran covers on top, either 5 or 6 bolts. The Buick trannies had two different sized bolt patterns, the smaller 5 bolt trannies had a slightly smaller pattern than that of the 6 bolt trans.

Eyeball, if you want one for a 322 engine to 49-up Ford trans, I would be happy to trade with you. I have an early Cragar adapter p/n301 for such a conversion. PM me if interested.

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

it is hard to see the tailshaft in Old wolf's pictures, looked long to me..

any who,
    here is my Buick to Ford bell that will also fit Eyeball's engine to transmission.

Attached Files:

9. I stand corrected:eek:. We have two of those transmissions both have a long tail housing open drive. The guy i got them from told me they were buick. I also have a offenhauser adapter buick to the ford flat head trans and a mini bell that came from a two ton 46 ford truck i bought when i was 16. Any way i was told that the mini bell can be used to install other types of trans? Will post some more pictures tomorrow:cool: OldWolf

10. Here are some pictures of a nail valve engine with weiand goodys that i reciently bought. Also the offy adapter and mini bell. i dont have any definate plans for these gem,s yet. I just bought them because they were for sale and i thought it was a great buy:D. OldWolf

Attached Files:

11. realsteel

realsteel

would you be interested in selling that cragar adapter? i already have a 322 and a post 49 ford overdrive transmission.

12. motorpsycho

motorpsycho
    from Finland

Hi!

Does this bell fit to Ford Borg Warner/World Class T-5? Is they have same bolt pattern in old ford gearboxes vs. T-5`s
    I have ´63 nailhead + brand new Eelco´s bellhouse and Ford T-5.Not so big surprise that they dont fit together :( Should i have to do adapter plate between gearbox and bellhousing or buy another trans or new bellhousing? Thanks for the help.