Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 chevy truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Motorbreath, May 15, 2007.

1. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Im hoping the doors i got on a recent trip to the scrap yard will have some good parts for me. I've aranged a deal to sell some handles and the top part of a rather messed up door already, so that will help with the cost, won't cover it, but it will help. I'm just hoping to get the hardware out of the doors, the window mechanisms. Unfortunately someone apparently shot the passenger side door with a cannon, i can put my thumb in the bullet holes...... Havent gotten the doors apart to see if I can use the parts yet.

The bottoms of the "new" doors are rotten bad! Thankfully the doors that were on my truck arent too horrid. I plan on using the top of the driver side, or i should say a few inches of the very top, when the top gets choped on mine to fill the gap in the doors with an already formed peice.

2. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

I started and Almost finished reversing my saginaw steering box today. Still need to clean all the grease up, find a 3\4" freeze plug and then re-assemble it all.

3. 383 240z

383 240z

Motorbreath, first off thanks for the hook up on the parts, I never did get that 39 hood the guy sold it before I had a chance to look at it. I did pick up a 40 hood for short money. and I scored some old ET slots off craigslist last week. I hope to get started on the frame here next week as the boss's fram should be done on Monday. I started making the front cross member yesterday on my lunch break. Keith

4. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Hopefully the parts get there ok Keith. I think I doubled the weight of it with as much styrofoam but hopefully it wont get dented up.

5. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Im employed again, yay.... Doing installs at a mostly truck accessory place. Was hired in as an installer for 30 days, then after I get used to the place and get to know the people I will be promoted to manager over the install side of the biz... Go me, Got a good hookup on parts again too. So hopefully in a couple of months I'll be finishing up the truck.

6. 383 240z

383 240z

Glad to hear it. Keith

7. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

well, the truck accessory place was a total waste of time. No hours, kept sending people home early and never had a full days schedule. I'm starting a new job on the 14th. Working in a plant that makes mining equipment.

The truck cab is finally mounted, got to drill the holes out in the mounts to make some minor adjustments.

Transmission is finalized, t400, got the converter (3000 stall) the other day, got to pull the trans and put the converter in. Looks like the driveshaft will be something like 32"

8. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

Im not afraid to voice my opinions, that looks like shit, seriously, go to the OSR forumn with that thing

9. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

VNCduke, thanks for your opinion! You are right, it is definetly looking pretty rough. Maybe by the time its done in 4 or 5 years it will look better, I hope someone has the kindness to tell you how bad your projects look in their early stages too. Later man.

10. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

Unless you plan on changing the engine, bed, wheelbase, etc, it will always look bad. your welcome by the way

11. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

12. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

i love that quick change rear. check out the thread i started on our truck build. we did it in roughly 90 days. its a 36 chevy truck. good luck with the job situation. i been there myself.

13. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

monzadood, I bought that QC to put under a nova project I was doing, but then blew the 4spd all to hell in the nova and decided to buy\build the truck instead. So many people around here are confused by it, no clue what it is. Its almost too bulky for the back of the truck where the bed is so short but i'll make it work. I still appreciate that documentation I got from you too!

14. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

The cab is mounted, not completely done, but attached so I could move it to our temporary place. I still have to line it up and finish the floor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

I've decided the keg is leaving, going to go with a custom aluminum tank. Probably going to stand the radiator upright after I lower the bed about 6".

16. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

an edit for a better idea.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  17. 383 240z

383 240z

Looking good, I wosh I could get a few of these damn customer cars out of the shop and get to spend some time wrenching on my truck! Keith

18. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

19. Chris_Rat

Chris_Rat

Anymore progress?

Chris

20. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Nothing new yet, been at a new job for 2 weeks and got to get some bills paid off before i can get anymore parts.

21. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Ordered some caliper brackets from chassis engineering to match the front spindles, might be putting brakes on it next weekend.

22. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Havent done squat to the truck, but I did buy a better welder. Picked up a lincoln 135 gas mig and a bunch of accessories for $300 from a guy I work with.

23. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

Way to go man your doing what most want to and thats to try and build their own hot rod. You got me beat thats for sure. I started with a finished product and Im just adding and subtracting from it. I admire your patience, your ambition and your attitude. SOme guys completely have no class by degrading your work. Usually a dead give away for the guys with a small member. Its not everyones style and yes its a little rough around the edges but shit I bet you have learned more with this build than I have with mine. Congrats to you....I love how you dont get all pissed with some of these assholes and simply saying thank you to them....ahhaha love it.

And to the people who have the small little pee wees.....go wash your mouth out with a revolver princess.

24. budd

budd

hey nice to see your still working on your truck, i think its looking pretty dam good.

25. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

thanks whitey and budd, its not coming along too fast, but me and my wife are trying to buy a house, or some land, or a garage with an apartment, or something so we can have a place for all our stuff and a place for me to work on whatever.

26. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

moving up (?) in the company, woo hooooo! i think... Now i'm fabricating small parts for mining machines. I get to go off by myself and run that poor little miller 251 to death! lol Hoping to be in a new place by mid summer or so, should have a good couple thousand $$$ downpayment saved up soon and we can hardly wait to spend it. I don't care if I have to use a shovel and a pick to flatten a spot and pour quickcrete out of 5 gallon bucket I will have somewhere to finish this truck!!! I got a $50 gift card to speedway for Christmas, I'm going to use it to get some clevis ends to redo the hairpins on the front.

27. 46highboypu

46highboypu

Hey man, I know it's hard times. I've been there and it's no fun, just hang in there. The rod will still be waiting when you're ready/able to work on it again. The family comes first...always. Good luck!!!

28. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Im hanging...lol sometimes its felt like i was litterally hanging, but I'm starting to do decent for myself. Got alot of ideas floating in my head, stuff to do, future projects, lots of motivation. I think about driving the 40 just about every day.

29. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Hoping to close on the new place in a couple weeks. There is a nice clean 14.5' x 21.5' attached garage with a 12' ceiling. Hopefully I can get some progress on the truck soon.

30. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

I now have a garage. I soon will have the truck in the garage and can start fixing a few things and get it finished up.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009