Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Wheel Post

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hammer Hank, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

He can't hear you... he's been banned. The wagon was parked right by his primered roadster... he had this on display. It was given to all HAMBers who had cars in attendance. It used to read H.A.M.B. Powered. I imagine someone worked hard on it...
    [​IMG]

2. That's a shame about the hamb glass plate.....so how did he post? Or was this thread started prior to him being banned?

Sorry to dig up the past......

Phil

3. CCAttached Thumbnails[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I drove past 2640 Market St Oakland last night, the old location of Drag Mag. A half block off the old San Pablo Ho' Stroll' it is a modest one story brick industrial garage space of maybe 2000 square feet with casement windows all painted over in mute mustard tone. Nothing fancy, completely anonymous and of course long defunct.
    I'm thinking this: Some of the wheels made by companies like this must be pretty rare now. How many wheels were turned out in shops like this by small startup companies run by guys who were for the most part under capitalised to begin with?
    Some companies faded and others must have been bought out in the inevitable consolidation that happens after the initial rush of an emerging industry.
    Another company lists San Pablo Ave for their location. And I was told that one of the slick manufacturers started in this neighborhood.
    Some of these wheels are probably really undervalued even if you could find them.
    Did these small outfits ever return a profit for their founders?

I appreciate that they made the effort to produce new and different and maybe better stuff. Not every good idea succeeds.

4. I found a pic of a display from the Detroit Autorama from the 60's on Ebay...
    If you look you can see about 10 different wheels.

Attached Files:

5. I see a Keystone Classic on the left, I always pictured these wheels in the late 70's, how far off am I ? When did they come around?

6. Sox and Martin used them on their 'Cudas in 1970. This certainly popularized this style but I beleive they debuted in 68.

7. rasputin

rasputin
    from Chicago

That style of Keystone was around since at least the mid-sixties...maybe '64? Originally called Kustomag. You can recognize the early ones because they are pre-unilug and the spoke was welded directly to the rim. The centers on the 70s and later ones are cast as an entire circle so there is greater contact between the rim and center (not sure if that makes sense?).

Strangely enough, even though they virtually look the same, the differences are strong enough to me where I love the early ones but hate the later ones.

8. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I want a pair of these... They're aluminum 15 x 4 1/5 5 1/2" bc, made by Crestline. Same as magnesium torq-thrusts but you don't have to polish 'em as much.. :cool:

[​IMG]

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

18"x4" Kelsey-Hayes wheel.
    Soon to be mounted on my PU.

Josh

10. Magnus B

Magnus B

The wheels on my coupe. Does anyone know what they are? I'm thinking mid 30 Mopar, but I can't figure out if any of them had 16x4 wheels with 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

11. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I'm almost pretty sure, :confused: those are from military jeeps....

12. Chubi

Chubi
    from Australia

Hi everybody, I live in Australia where the Keystone mag was only a dream for most car nuts back in the day, I am restoring a Holden Monaro GTS (a two door V8 coupe made here in the late 60s thru to late 70s) and I want to buy a set of Keystones for it. The trouble is, the new ones are all 15 inch dia, and what I want to know is, where the Kustomags avail back then 14 or 15 inch? I want my car to look totally period with even the Polyglas tyres.

13. Chubi

Chubi
    from Australia

14. Chubi, are you sure you aren't thinking of tasmans one of australias first mag wheel manufacturers. they look very similar to keystones to the untrained eye. Also i may know of some keystone 14's in perth PM me if you are interested and i will chase it up. Moon.dog

15. As it turns out, I am going to be running Buick drums on the front, so I need 2 of the 5 on 5's, and that would leave me with 2 extra 5 on 4.5"

We can trade even up if you find 2 good ones.

16. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

ET III, uni-lug, 15 x 7.5, got a pair for free.
    ET 5 spoke, uni-lug 14 x 7.5 DEEP, only have one, was $10
    KH 18 x @ 3.7, 5 x 5.5, set of 5....really cheap.

Attached Files:

17. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Back in the day there were lots of exotic wheels made, but at the end of the day it's hard to beat the original aluminum Torq-Thrust.

These pictures I took this afternoon show a 15 by 8 1/2 aluminum Torq-Thrust that I went over with emery cloth, with one of the 8.20 Firestone cheater slicks that was installed last weekend.

This setup is a pretty tight fit in a '32 coupe fender. I'm beginning to understand why so many people threw their fenders away.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

Attached Files:

18. mike hamel

mike hamel

Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by MagnusWarhawks
    The wheels on my coupe. Does anyone know what they are? I'm thinking mid 30 Mopar, but I can't figure out if any of them had 16x4 wheels with 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. Any suggestions?
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    I'm almost pretty sure, :confused: those are from military jeeps....

Hey, those are most definitly NOT military jeep wheels. Those wheels are 16x4.5" Ford Kelsey Hayes Artillery wheels. I promise that. I own 100's of artillery wheels and could tell you about anyone you are looking for. I also have over 30 sets of 18" and 20" milk truck wheels.

19. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

20" wood spoke, backed up with boiler plate cut on water-jet.
    Front 500x20 Excelsior(Coker) Rear are 650X20 ‘stones(coker) just a bit taller than 33 inches.

Attached Files:

20. Magnus B

Magnus B

Hi

Cool to finally get an ID on these. But if they're for Ford shouldn't a Ford hubcap fit? Or is it a unique K-H hub cap for them? The Ford cap doesn't fit, the mounting ring is tack welded to the wheel and has tabs on the outside for a cap.

Thanks,
    Magnus

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  21. Appliance Apache made in early to mid 1960's

Attached Files:

• scan.jpg
      scan.jpg
      File size:
      102.6 KB
      Views:
  22. James427

James427
    BANNED

OK, I've read all of these posts and have not seen ant of these wheels posted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  23. outcasthb

outcasthb

The first ones are the new Crager Street Pro Series 390 with an aluminum center that is painted. These were introduced at the Mooneyes show and also seen on my car at the Grand National Roadster Show in the Crager booth.

Attached Files:

24. My old Halibrand kidney bean wheels.........
    [​IMG]

25. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

These are supposed to be ET Rebels, late 60's vintage as far as i know. 15 x 7" and unilug. Came off a 66 Comet ex-show car i bought.

[​IMG]

26. aceuh

aceuh

These may be of no help or entertainment to anyone.....but what the hell. I scanned em outta some old mags a while back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. BBBad2dabone

BBBad2dabone

Those are some i've been looking for a while. I've know them call "N" code made by American Racing in the 60s from aluminum in 13, 14 & 15 inch witdths for sports cars. anybody have anymore info on these?

28. zbuickman

zbuickman

My personal faves are the hurst wheels.... Shit ones in the 5x4-3/4 start at $300 and go up in the 5x4-1/2 they start at $100 ang go up from there. and they go up to stupid prices for sweet ones. I think they may be repoping these wheels for something like $600 Ea. as well:)
    [​IMG]

29. Can anyone tell me something about these Americans? They are 15 x 8 and magnesium.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009