Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for Rockstars running a Mustang tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Feb 16, 2009.

1. For you guys running a Mustang fuel tank, did you have to do any kind of re-enforcement of the trunk floor or did you just cut the hole and bolt it in? Any other lessons learned would be appreciated. Thanks, Todd

2. wayfarer

wayfarer

Not in my '53 chevy, but I have a mustang tank in my '49 wayfarer. Just cut the hole and put it in. It's been there for 6 years now with no problems and I don't see much of a difference between the trunk floor in it and the one in either the back of my '53 wagon or the trunk of my mom's '50 hardtop.

3. KustomF100

KustomF100
    from Joliet, IL

A real nice way to mount those tanks is to build a frame out of 1" square tubing that fits under the flange of the tank. Then simply bolt it through the floor with 5/16" bolts.

4. thats what I did on my 49 Plymouth. Worked like a champ. Bud

5. John Denich

John Denich

I have had mine in my 51 for 10 years just cut the hole and bolted it in, no issues. works great.

John

6. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

not to get too far off topic, didn't ford have an in tank carb pump for one of those things. been trying to figure it out. ok back on topic. :)

7. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

I used a Mustang tank for my 52 F1 and got rid of the Gasbomb behind the seat. I built a frame using 1" tubing as mentioned earlier. I got a good price on the tank from a company called RockAuto. It was made in Canada, still looks good 3 years later.

8. OLLIN

OLLIN

plus you have to fill the spare tire area anyways, so might as well make a frame like mentioned.

9. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

10. Thanks, you guys rock. Another reason your rockstars!!!! Todd