Register now to get rid of these ads!

1962 Ford Fairlane 500...school me, looking at one to buy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xxwelderxx, Feb 16, 2009.

1. So I found a 62 Ford Fairlane 500 4dr. 81,XXX miles, original paint, original interior. etc etc.

Anyway, Im going to look at it and wanted to know if there is anything I should pay close attention to. Also whats a reasonable amount to offer for the car?

2. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

3. Runs, drives....no rust

4. check the wheel wells real well....the rear always trapped water and rusted from the inside out. see if you can get behind the trunk and check down the wheel wells. even though there appears to be no rust they ALL rusted there even California Cars...

FE motors are strong as hell so you shouldn't have many issues with that. just check and make sure the dump tube is not clogged in the back of the motor.

The intake is a heavy bitch...pull that thing off (with the help of some friends) and replace it.

is it a hard top? if so it is worth more but because it is a 4 door it is going to be a bit cheaper than a 2 door (obviously).

5. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

What type of motor does it have (170 6-cyl, 221 8-cyl, 260 8-cyl)? I have two 1962 Ford Fairlanes, one project car and one parts car. Definately take a GOOD look underneath at the front frame rails, rear frame rails, torque boxes, floorboards, etc. When I purchased my 1962 Fairlane project it looked great underneath until I was changing the passenger turn signal bulb and poked at my front frame rail. A mound of rust was not what I wanted to see. Check the weatherstripping, odds are it is the original weatherstripping and could be cracked or broken off (there's a 12" piece missing in my pass. rear door jam). Bad weatherstripping = wet floors.

Good Luck!
    Tom - Glass_Packs

6. Hey guys thanks for the info.

7. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

That's a ladies car! :D :D

8. low-lincoln

low-lincoln

My first classic was a 62 Failrlane sports coupe. It was a great little car. It had a 260 v8 with a 3-speed colum shift. A Four door won't be as valuable, so be careful what you pay and how much you put into it.

9. Good thing Im looking at it for my wife. :p

10. barney rubble

barney rubble

I had a nice 2 dr years ago. Copper/brown color loved that car.:):):)

11. They are neat cars. Check for the rust as said before. the only "bad" thing about them is sourcing parts. They are not mass-reproduced like Falcons, even though some items are made.

Used parts are a bit tricky depending on what you need.

You should be able to get a pretty decent car for a little bit of $$.

12. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

the bad spot for rust is under the battery,on the diagonal to the ft crossmember and the rt side ft frame rail. good luck.

13. They are looking to get $3000 for the car.

14. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Ya man, the 63's are where its at! ;)

15. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

For $3K, it better be close to perfect. And, have a V8, too.

Also, check to make sure the headliner is good. To replace requires removing at least the front windshield, and I think the back window, too.

16. Hah my wife doesn't even want it now. I guess I was barking up the wrong tree being this is the same girl who wants a 46 ford gasser. grrr...what was I thinking

17. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

My wife loves her 1962 ford fairlane 500.we bought from the original owner for $2500.completely original with a 221 v8.drove it home and only had to do a full tune up.turned the odometer to 60000 just a couple of weeks ago.now its time to lower it give it some wide whites and new exhaust.far as a ladies car goes these are pretty nice.$3000 sound alittle high.good luck

18. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Buddy of mine has had this '62 Fairlane for a couple of years now. The only thing he has done is slam it on airbags and replace the wheels. It's a factory 221/auto car.

Seriously... that is the factory paint and interior, trim, chrome, etc. It's in remarkable shape.

Attached Files: