Register now to get rid of these ads!

Volare clip* will an alignment correct this?!?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SMOKINFLATHEAD, Feb 15, 2009.

1. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I just installed my FATMAN drop spindles. Cranked on the nut that adjusts the torsion bars, and............... Well, eileen! Will an alignment fix this?[​IMG]

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

it may just need to settle a bit.... that's the way my old nissan was when i'd lower it....

3. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I don't want to insult you, but you do know the adjuster on the left does the right and vice-versa?

4. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Jeem, not an insult at all. That's why I asked. This set-up is new to me. I know of the Volkswagen torsions. You just remove a few and it effects both sides. I have not noticed another nut on the driver's side. I will look!! Thanks for the info. I did only adjust the one on the passenger's side, and that's the side that has gone limp. Doesn't make much sense.

5. I hope it works out for you. I know a guy whos had a volare clip for five years and cant give it away.

6. Is the clip welded in square with the frame?

I still have a few Volare crossmembers left but I've sold quite a few (all of the really nice ones). A couple of the buyers tried to unstall them themselves in a driveway and wound up welding one side higher than the other. No amount of adjusting will get it right. They had to be cut out and re-installed.

When I put one in, I use the MoPar factory manual and align the front suspension with the crash repair data. (height at the corners / corect angle, etc) That way the suspension is correctly aligned with the road surface and the truck sits right.

The only thing an alignment will correct is camber and caster IF there's sufficient room for adjustment. That's why I use the MoPar book to get straight to begin with.

As for torsion bar adjustment. adjust each side so that the bottom of the lower control arm is parallel with the pavement and you'll be close then get out the manual and do your measurements. (lower bushing vs. ball joint, compare the difference on each side to get the vehicle level)

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Try an online search for: F/J/M/ Body Torsion Bars or Jason's Aspen/Volare Club-Torsion Bars or Suspension: Torsion Bars
    Did you take any pics that can be posted on install of dropped spindles? Any advise on what you learned doing this project? Thanks

8. I would start from scratch. Put the frame on jackstands,so it's level. Set the torsions so the lower control arms are parallel to the ground. Take measurements to make sure they are in the same location. Make sure the spindles are the same and install them the same way. I've heard of guys getting sent one dropped spindle and one stock spindle. It happens. If you back-track,you should be able to find the problem.

9. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

Hi don't know if this is your problem but I once put spindles upside down! ...Miller

10. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Did it sit level before you installed your dropped spindles and started jacking with only 1 adjusting bolt? I suspect when you locate the adjusting bolt on the other side you will be able to level it out, unless you screwed up the spindle exchange. Gene

11. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

well, guys I found the other adjusting nut and She is How She sould be!!!!

Thanks for the info JEEM, and thank you to all that gave there .02.

[​IMG]

12. hemifarris

hemifarris

You'll like the ride and handleing of that front end. I installed one in my '56 years ago.......1978..........Mike
    Click to enlarge. Click again for larger.

Attached Files:

13. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

wow, nice 56'!

14. HA HA HA! Did you think one nut did the whole front end,LOL!!!! Just messing with you. Glad you figured it out.

15. You know you can lower it with the volare set up right?

16. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Yes, sir! The picture in my avatar is the truck. I put the drop spindles on for ride QUALITY. I'm building the truck for my wife.;)

17. JohnShaft

JohnShaft
    from Tejas

If it makes it's way anywhere near Texas, he can get rid of it in my garage. :)

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Your truck looks good from the front, can you get a side shot? How about about a pic of Merc too?

19. I was just kidding you! It looks a little high in the front on shot! Sorry sarcasim is a little hard to type. Any good side shots? I love my volare clip.

20. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Sounds like you either like the Volare or you hate them. Just did my first one (after doing many Mustangs & Chevelles) on a '50 Dodge P/U hope it turns out for my customer!

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

brigrat-did you take any pics of install that you can post? Any info on lessons learned while doing install?

22. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

[​IMG]

With a little photo shop help.

[​IMG]And just because you spotted it in the background.............[​IMG]

23. Man that clip did the trick. I had one laying in my garage for my 51 f-1, heard bad things and decided to go a different route. Now I am second guessing myself. How is the ride? Do you nose dive at all when you brake?

24. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

No, diving or pulling. I'm sure the direction you went with will be a good fit. The clip was in the truck when I bought the project. I'm thinking if I had the choice I would have went another direction. Most believe this is old technology. With the new spindles it gives me a hell of a lot more adjustment with good ride quality. I have leveled the truck front to back. I will post a few pix when It stops raining.

25. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The Volare clips are really underrated.They work and ride much better than the M2's in my opinion. Heres one on a mid 50's Chevy

Attached Files:

26. I have a Volare under my old truck with Fatman spindles and the ride and handling are terrific. The only issue that I ran into was that I had to offset the engine about 2" to clear the steering box. Other than that, Perfect.
    Later,
    Dick

27. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I don't know of too many guys installing these clips any longer, they are getting a bit harder to come by in the junk yards and with all the Heidts and TCI MII IFSs on the market now. Here's a pic of the Volare setup in my current 56 F100 project, it too has the Fatman dropped spindles...

Attached Files:

28. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Running one in my Terraplane for 14 years, love it no regrets, would do it again.

29. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I've done 3 of these clips. Personally put 66,000 on one of them, 40,000 on one of the others. Ride quality is great. Done correctly, tire wear is good. If you intend on taking some hard curves, they are too soft, and lean pretty bad. They have a strange configuration (shape) and the bars sit a long ways in front of the spindles, limiting what they are put under. They also tend to be pretty wide.

I still have 1 pretty clean unit sitting here I will probably never use. Gene

30. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Steering box is a problem and like said the cross mounted torsion bars can be in the way of a core support/radiator mount, like on a '50 Dodge P/U. Anything can be delt with though.