Register now to get rid of these ads!

24 yr old youngin' from Indiana, '48 Chevy

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by ChromePlaterJosh, Feb 15, 2009.

1. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hello all. My name is Josh.I was born and raised in Muskegon, MI. My Dad, older bro, and I run a custom chrome shop here in Hagerstown. Ever since I was about 10 I have been involved in the custom chrome world, at first we started up by concentrating on the growing classic Schwinn StingRay restoration market in the early 90's. Nowadays, its mostly old car chrome, and thats fine by me. Although I did build my own custom 68 StingRay back before I got my 79 Z28. I learned how to identify old cars by their chrome work I watched run through our shop.

Last fall I picked up my 48 Chevy Fleetmaster 2 dr sedan. Its all original except for a repaint in the early 80's. The poor thing has been in a dirty barn since the early 90's and it's all seized up. The paint has held up well enough for me, the rats got the best of the interior. First things, first I need to get it running and driving again after such a long sleep.

If the I6 is too bad, I've got the recently rebuilt 350 out of the 79 Z28 ready for it. The Camaro has been fun, but it's rotten from the inside. The biggest thing I liked about the car was that the paint looked fine, but brightwork needs lots of help, and thats my specialty.

I'll shut up now and read others' posts,
    -Josh

2. dodgeboy

dodgeboy

Nice car dude. You mention stingrays and I have 5 fastbacks,1 68 speed,a 70 orange krate,and numerous parts to build another dozen or so. I also have a few cars.Welcome and ENJOY!!.........

3. Customikes

Customikes
    from SoCal

Welcome from SoCal.

Nice start and resource material. Plz keep us updated with your progress and pix

Mike

www.Customikes.com

4. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Thanks guys. Here is a pic of the 68 StingRay I built. It was my first restoration project, started with just the bare rusty frame in a field. Everything but the fork tube badge is plated, either copper only or chrome. I also have an original 67 StingRay Fastback 5 sp. with the Rams Horn handlebars. I spent most of the 90's going to Schwinn shows/swap meets. I still have a soft spot for the old Schwinns, and my copper one is currently hanging from the ceiling of the shop office. :)

With Spring of '09 coming I plan on getting to the 48. Gotta sell off the 79Z pieces to fund the 48. I did a quick search to find other memebrs with 48 Chevys and found Squarepants thread on his chopped 48. That is some good motivation for me.
    [​IMG]

5. Welcome from OKC. Like your new ride, should be a fun project. As for the bike, as nice as it is, if I tried to ride it at my age, I'd have to have it surgically removed when done.:)

6. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Welcome Josh, from Richmond. I had no idea there was chrome shop in Hagerstown......do y'all need any help:D? Seriously I may need to get in touch with y'all on some prices for a few projects.

7. chris55

chris55

Welcome from Ohio. The 48 looks like a great project, keep us posted.

8. sskustoms

sskustoms

Welcome to the HAMB!!

9. welcome from oregon

10. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Nice bike, great family. Great to meet you today.

11. ChromePlaterJosh: Welcome from Indy...

Kool bike,,,
    have fun with the 48...

12. ratpak

ratpak
    from Onsted, Mi

Welcome aboard, glad to see some others around my age. Nice car by the way!!!

13. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

great car, welcome!

14. Hey - welcome from iowa - cool sting ray !!

15. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Welcome from an ex-Hoosier...

16. Welcome aboard!

17. GirardsSpeedShop47

GirardsSpeedShop47

Hope to see ya around on the bike or in the ride.

18. rayford

rayford
    from calhoun ga

welcome from ga

19. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

welcome and nice car I have a 47 also