Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John Milner, Feb 14, 2009.

1. John Milner

John Milner
    from Oklahoma

Here is our 57 Ford we hope to get back on the race track at some point this season. My cousin raced it in southern Oklahoma throughout the 60's 70's and 80's. It was 427 Ford powered. I am putting a 11:1 solid roller 468 Chevy along with its 4:11 spool '57 Ponitac rear end. It dosen't look like installing the Chevy engine is going to be too bad, nothing a torch, welder, and a big hammer can't fix.

Attached Files:

2. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

That car is just begging for another FE motor....Sacreligious to put a Chevy in it....

3. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

:mad:I'm sorry to see that happen

4. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

I agree shoprat, its a shame to throw a bowtie in that car.
    If thats all you have laying around, let it sit another year and sell the chevy and do the car right with another FE, or at the very least keep it Ford powered.

5. RmK57

RmK57

I agree, no Chevy engine. I'd go with a stroked 460.

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess I don't understand the "Ford-in-a-Ford" and "Chevy-in-a-Chevy" mentality. Isn't hot rodding all about using what's best for you, trying new things and making it work ??? It was back in the early 60's when I first started hot rodding. :confused:

In any event, nice looking car - best of luck with it.

7. Gasser57

Gasser57

Looks cool to me. It's neat to see a car with some history. I ran a stroked small block chevy in my 57 Ford for over a decade. When money allowed, I pulled it and put a stroked Ford SCJ in it, just to go faster. Its your car, build it the way you want too. You will enrage the Ford loving masses, but that's some of the fun.

8. John Milner

John Milner
    from Oklahoma

I really don't have any big Ford engines lieing around. I'm tripping over all of these big block chevys, pontiacs and 500 cadillacs in my garage. I already have this Chevy engine together, so that will go in it right now. A 428 or 460 might be interesting. If I enrage any Ford loving masses I am sorry, but I will be glad to line them up when its together!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  9. vertible59

vertible59

please, please sell that '57 FORD customline to someone and buy a '57 CHEVY FOR THAT FATBLOCK.

10. John Milner

John Milner
    from Oklahoma

Sorry, but I like '57 Fords better than '57 Chevys.

11. 067chevy

067chevy

I got an fe motor I would trade you.

12. bbtom30

bbtom30
    from so. cal

I'm a major chevy fan,but that car definitely deserves to have a ford motor back in it.If you can't afford a good FE motor,460s are cheap,plentiful and almost bulletproof.BBT.

13. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

You're gonna have fun cuttin it up to get the rear sump in it.
    BTW my Ol Ranchero was running 11:60's twenty yrs ago with a FE

14. attastude

attastude

the main thing is get it running and have some fun....in this economy you run what you can afford. when things get better, you can do changes....

15. John Milner

John Milner
    from Oklahoma

Actually, its looking pretty good with the 454. We mocked up a bare block, heads and tranny case to do all of the necessary modifications. I have a car oil pan on it, so it looks like it is going to clear the steering. I also will be able to fit a points style distributor in it. Its looking like the firewall is going to be safe. I'm going to run some '55 Chevy fenderwell headers on it, they should fit nicely its looking so far. This Ford ran some 7.40's-7.50's in the 1/8th with the Ford engine. It was a very consistent car in those days. We will see what it runs with the Chevy soon I hope.

Attached Files:

16. Always practice the ABC's of hot rodding: Anything But Chevy!

Just kidding, sort of.

It's your car, build it the way you want...

17. I love a `57 Ford. Sad to see it get just another "orange" engine, I'd rather see the Caddy in it than the bowtie, though FE or 460 would be the better choice. But it is your car, destroy it at will.

18. There is the possibility that the '57 Ford will reject the Chevy motor you know. :D

19. That's funny right there.:)

20. That was once true but with the increasing number of inter-racial and inter-species marriages in recent years, it may take... :(

Attached Files:

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It looks like I will have to find a 57 chevy to put the extra 460/C-6 I have in to get back at the ones that want to bastardize those Fords.

22. ghetto shelf

ghetto shelf

Another Chevy in a Ford=:(.At least it's a big block.

23. I would much rather see a Pontiac or Cad motor go in that first, but it will certainly make some interesting conversation at the strip at least :D Cool car though. I'll line up anytime, and trust me it's all Ford!
    -Dean

Attached Files:

24. Harms Way

Harms Way

Here's some inspiration,..... but this one did have a FE in it. :D

[​IMG]

25. John Milner

John Milner
    from Oklahoma

Good lookin 57 Ford

26. weathrmn

weathrmn

Don't break the car's spirit, Put a FORD back in it, you'll be surprised.

27. Larry T

Larry T

Where did you race "back then"? Where ya gonna run it now?
    Larry T

28. SHRUM

SHRUM

Love those 57's

29. John Milner

John Milner
    from Oklahoma

I didnt race it, my cousin raced it for many years in southern oklahoma. I will race it at lawton this year.