Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody still cruise in Colorado

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Itchijohnson, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Itchijohnson

Itchijohnson
    BANNED
    from Colorado

When I was growing up near Lakewood, (old lakewood speedway)we would cruise West Colfax every Saturday night. Those days are gone, and maybe I'm just getting old, but, shit it was a good time. Anyway, I still live in colorado, have a few cars, 1931 five window( in the works)and a 65 chev Malibu, with a 406sbc.

Okay enough of my horse shit. My question is, are there any places to cruise in Colorado? Or has the spirit of this pastime only exist in SOCAL and Tejas. I'm all for a good car show, but I would much rather be cruising up and down the strip. Anyway just a thought

Later:cool:

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I don't think there are any cruise "streets" left...the cops and councilmen took care of that...however, the Sonic drive-in on Saturday nites (year-round) hosts a cruise-in at 72nd & Federal...and during the spring and summer, Golden hosts a REAL cruise on the first Saturday of each month beginning in May...usually get 500-700 cars...And there are two other large street "cruises" as well...one in June called "Cruisin Havana" street...and one in September called Cruisin' Colfax...both are one time deals on Saturdays.

As for crusing Colfax or 15th and 16th on the weekends...yep, those days are long gone...

Where are you...in Denver or...???

R-

3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

There are a number of cruise nights in Durango, Cortez and Farmington NM starting in late May through October.

4. Itchijohnson

Itchijohnson
    BANNED
    from Colorado

Thanks for the info, 40Studedude, I moved from the Denver area up to Northern Colorado a few years back. I think I'll be maken the trip down to Golden this summer. Thanks again

5. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

Ahhh, cruzin 16th or goin' to the Scotchman-what memories!

6. colorado51

colorado51

Oh yea, we would cruise Colfax every weekend.....good times!

Anyway, check out Golden, May 2nd, July 4th, Aug 1st, Sept 5th. A lot of cars show up!

7. tomslik

tomslik

didn't there used to be a cruise night thing in Evans?...

8. In the late '70s, there used to be Friday night cruising on Main Street in Delta, and great Saturday night cruising on North Avenue in Grand Junction.

Nowadays, who knows?

9. ratster

ratster

i cruzed colfax back in the 80s in my 56 chevy

10. colorado51

colorado51

Yea, that place was crazy on Friday & Saturday nights!

I would bring my 66 Impala SS or my V8 Vega down there. Used to hang out at the Super Shops parking lot.

11. ratster

ratster

used to get paid on fri and then hit Super Shops on sat. i can't beleave they ever closed.

12. HotWare

HotWare

We used to cruise Main St in Longmont, from 3rd ave to 17th ave. 2 lanes going each direction with Stop lights at most blocks...lots of light to light racing. Also a 1/4 mile marked off on back roads at both the north and south ends of town. This was in the 60's, 70's , & early 80's.

I don't know if they are back at it now....lots of great memories though.

13. Itchijohnson

Itchijohnson
    BANNED
    from Colorado

TomSlik, I have not heard of a cruise nite in Evans, but I will look into it. Colorado51, thanks for the Golden cruise dates. You mentioned Super Shops, I remember sitting in that lot, meeting other rodder's setting up light to light races and putten back a few cold beers on a warm summer night. Good shit.:D

SOHC427 likes this.
  14. HELL YEA dude,
    I grew up in Longmont, and cruzed main all through high school in the mid '80s.
    I pimped a bug back then, but it was all steel and ran mid 14's at bandimere.

Evans? as in by Greeley?
    Or the street?

15. tomslik

tomslik

yep, like in south greeley

16. Ghost28

Ghost28

Last summer we went to a show on larimer street. It lasted into the evening, and after the car show. We decided to cruise down town for old time sakes. Got a little ballsy and took the plugs out of the lakes. Man the sound coming out of that hemi between them buildings was out of this world. We were having so much fun on the way home. we cruised colfax east towards aurora. and with the plugs out we were setting off car alarms every few blocks. it was a one time deal, no back and forth and we got real lucky there were no tickets issued. But maybe next summer we will try our luck again ...GHOST

Attached Files:

17. Itichijohnson,

Don't you mean the "Lakeside Speedway"??....Yes, it IS in Lakewood, but it's beside the lake and was part of the Lakeside Amusment Park. By the way, it's still standing. They haven't raced there in quite a few years however.

Used to go to watch the midgets and stock cars at Lakeside almost every Saturday night in the late 50's. Remember the Eddie Jackson midget sponsored by Bob Jones Skyland Motors and the 'Bob Jones Special trophy trucks?

In later years, after they quit racing at Lakeside, we went to Englewood Speedway.

I went to East High '55 - '57. Hung out at the Eastway Drive-In some. Also the Scotchman or Jim's Bruger Haven on our way home from the races. Drove a black '40 Coupe with a hot 296 flathead in '55-'56 and then a Hemi in it '57 - '59.

Got beat by some rich kid in a freaking STOCK 409 Chevy (mainly because I couldn't keep a stock Ford trans or rear axle together behind the Hemi) and got so pissed off that I sold the '40 and got out of hot rodding for the next 20-years or so.

JG

Attached Files:

18. 265glide

265glide

We came to Colorado in 1969, Loved to cruise 15/16 st. downtown and up Federal to the Scotchman.Great times.Still have the same ride, a 55 more door. Later cruised Colfax and the Sonic in Lafayette.
    Haven't done the Golden cruise yet, maybe this year.
    Pix of the"55
    later 265glide.

Attached Files:

19. Itchijohnson

Itchijohnson
    BANNED
    from Colorado

JgMago, It may have been Englewood speedway, The track I'm talking about was on S. Federal near Quincy. My pops would take my brother and I there when I was young. I always thought it was called Lakewood. Either way it was pretty cool.

20. Yep. Englewood Speedway was South Federal and Quincy. (Now a 7-11 store and shopping center). Lakeside Speedway was at W. 44th and Sheridan in the corner of the Lakeside Amusement Park. (It's still standing - although deserted for many years)
    JG

21. metalman

metalman

I use to go to the Denver area quit often in the 70's/ early 80's. Cruzing Colfax was a blast, same with Longmont, especially the Friday night before the ColoRodans rod run. Sure was a long ride up there to cruise from Albuquerque with 4:56 gears!

My brother moved up just north of Denver last summer, tells me I GOT to come up and do the Golden cruise night this year.

22. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

The Golden cruise is one ya just gotta do. Tons of great cars and some of the best motorheads around. It is scheduled from May into Oct, but last year it went into Nov and Dec because of the great weather. I've talked to many people that have made that one and they have said it is one of the largest they have ever seen.

23. Flatbush

Flatbush

Maybe its time to start a new tradition. Any ideas?

24. Damn, haven't been to Lakeside in years! The track closed in 1982 or '83, when Gary Burton's race car went up into the stands, and the speedway closed right after that. The liability was just too much anymore.

25. Itchijohnson

Itchijohnson
    BANNED
    from Colorado

A tradition, sounds good. You know last year I was at the Good guys car show in Loveland, and there is a small town near by named Windsor with a good straight 4 lane main street. This would be a great little town for cruising on the Fri or Sat evening of the Good gGuys show. Heck it's even got a Sonic drive in.

26. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Does anyone know if the cruise nights in Loveland are happening again this year?

27. dragonsnake

dragonsnake

dr dano , my boss went to it last fri night. it was by checker's on east 34,but i think the location varies . give honda doctor a call, he could tell you all about it, i think he puts it together. (970) 679-4630

28. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

You might be able to make that happen in Windsor.The Loveland cruise still goes on also.There's a cruise night at the A&W in Eaton tommorrow night also.We hit west 10th here in Greeley every Friday and Saturday until the imports caused to much hassle.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  29. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

The golden run is a must, also went to carnage on larimer last year, not really a cruise but a fun show.

30. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.