Register now to get rid of these ads!

700r4 questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lonestarluck, Feb 14, 2009.

1. lonestarluck

lonestarluck

im new to the board did an intro a while back but this is my first post

i just pulled the motor and trans from a 1990 cadillac it's a 350 with a 700r4 can this trans be used without the computer i'm tossing the fuel injection in favor of a carb

2. lonestarluck

lonestarluck

very helpful thanks

3. dirybyrd

dirybyrd

Your trans should have the manual detent cable and not the electronic....Should work out great for you.......

4. Ghost28

Ghost28

It should still need a 12 volt power hook up just for the converter lockup and maybe a disconnect switch on the brake pedal arm...ghost

5. lonestarluck

lonestarluck

It has the 4 pin plug on the drivers side and a TV cable

6. Ghost28

Ghost28

Just one of the pins should be the 12 volt supply. And a good rebuild shop should be able to help with the plug, or the info as to which one is for the hot wire for the converter lock up in high gear...ghost

7. lonestarluck

lonestarluck

cool thanks all for the info

8. Ghost28

Ghost28

No problem... A 90s 700r4 is a good transmission it should have the newer and larger pump in it. Not like the early ones with the smaller pumps. So if it needs a rebuild for any reason. It's a keeper...nice find...ghost

9. One hot wire when ign is on. One wire to the cold side of the brake light switch. One will be a ground I think. I'll have to go ask the trans guy.

10. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Slight Highjack,, sorry!

Which wire on the 4 pin connector (200r4) needs to see 12 volts?

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Have you done a thread search here? Lots of info already posted. Also, online with aftermarket trans rebuild shops.

12. I switched from 400thms to 700r4s in both of my GTOs ( 1 is my primary transportation ) and really like them. Mine only uses 1 wire from the plug that goes to the lock up seloniod. When you have the pan off, you can easily follow the wire from the seloniod to the plug. The seloniod in the very front is the one for the conv lock up.
    Good luck with yours.

My '61 Catalina will also have a 700r4, I see little reason to use any other auto trans.

Steve

<DIR>Hosting 11th annual Pontiac Heaven, show, swap, drags, party and all around good time. Saturday April 4, 2009 at Speedworld near Phoenix, Az
    more info- www.pontiacheaven.org
    Also hosting- 7th annual Nostalgic Show and Go! and swap. Drags, cool car show, parade, special exhibitions, gassers, rails, stockers, customs and much more. coming Sunday April 5, 2009 to Speedworld. Phoenix, Az -This is Arizonas longest continuest running nostalgic event, our 7th year! www.nostalgicshowandgo.org
    </DIR>

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Go to www.transmissioncenter.com and check out part #'s 12 and 12LU one is electrical and one requires no electrical conection at all:)

14. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I took a look at the above guys kit at $99 and Bowtie has a couple of kits at $35.
    Can anybody explain why the big difference and which kit would be best for hot rod applications?
    Thanks.

15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

My T700 tranny has a large number "14" on the passengers side of the outer housing.
    What does this tell me???

Is it good or bad news???

16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Looks like within the last few days they have totally changed the website as well as the name of the company and doubled the price of the kits:eek: Screw Them! Things don't always change for the best!

17. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

see the kit Rebel Wire has. they are in the HAMB o'dex

18. buelly

buelly
    from tennessee

19. The only thing I had to buy was the harness side of the plug to fit the trans. Ya don't need to buy any kit. But ya do have to get the TV cable geomerty correct.