Register now to get rid of these ads!

sand blast cabinets and parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don B., Feb 11, 2009.

1. Don B.

Don B.
    from IL

wheres a good place to get guns nozzles etc for a blast cabinet??? My last one had a trigger on the handle; this one has a foot pedal. IDK what brand this thing is but definitely HD-industrial; you oughtta see the dust collection setup it has! and what special nozzles, pressures, etc are needed to use baking soda as a blast media vs. say, Black Beauty, or glass beads???

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

3. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

ACE you can find them in street rodder mag they have a nice gun set up that I put in my unit

4. krooser

krooser

I've bought sandblast supplies from both TP and Ace... good quality stuff.

www.consolidatedstripping.com has a good assortment of blast media.

5. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

trinco is who we use

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

GAMM is where mine came from. It's a 24x36 unit, but is industrial.
    Mine has a big dust collector, and a foot pedal.

http://gammind.com/

-Brad

7. Don B.

Don B.
    from IL

GAMM is a new one on me. Thanks. Boy this thing got buried 8 pgs deep QUICK!I was hoping for a suggestion of a local type place that may have media; most mail order places want as much for shipping as for the media itself!

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Sandblast parts can come from anywhere, they're somewhat universal when compared to a lot of shop tools. Best thing you can understand is the carbide orifices do wear out, and when they do blast efficiency goes way down.

Media selection is a science in itself. Avoid silica products due to breathing concerns. If you have something special might even call local blast shops to see if they'll resell specialty media by the bag. Many do.

good luck

9. For ordinary steel & iron use, I just use Black Magnum media from the local Menard's. Pretty aggressive & lasts OK. Since you're from Illinois also, that may be a local option for you. You don't want to use it on anything like an aluminum intake.

Glass bead, walnut shell, etc. I just get from TP, but there may be better places...I'm just too lazy to look.

My parts come from TP also.

10. Trin-Mac 586-774-1900 Home of the Mac-Blast >>>>.

11. Northern Tool, TIP industrial, Grainger

12. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

The glass beads from Harbor Freight do they hold up ?

I also use TIPtools

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I used HF glass beads and they worked just fine until a cat got in my shop overnight and thought the bucket was a litter box.

14. BenW455

BenW455

Tractor Supply has blast media. My cabinet came from TP Tools and I would not give it up for anything.

15. krooser

krooser

If HF has Clarke brand beads I'm not impressed. They work... but not for long IMHO. Maybe I got the wrong size for rusty shit.

Rick

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"Maybe I got the wrong size for rusty shit."

I'm thinking glass beads are for light work. I use them on aluminum or for removing light paint and flash rust on steel.... get the black stuff for heavy rust.

17. ---- Same here >>>>.

18. Don B.

Don B.
    from IL

Peoria huh??? I've found myself in a lil town near you twice recently (Washington; Hughes engines) right down 55 to 24. is going down 55 to 74 (farther via Mapquest but shorter time wise) towards "Morton" a better deal?
    And yeah, Black magnum is the same as that Black Beauty that I get from the local concrete ready mix place. Comes in 2 different grits. I know about not wanting to use it on things such as an alum intake; that's exactly why I am looking into alternative media choices. The most common places I hear, are HF, Grainger and Tractor Supply; I'm an hour away from any of these places.

19. Don B.

Don B.
    from IL

I just had some glass windows (sight glasses) cut for it today; $2 each at the local glass shop (they used "salvage" glass, I don't care as it is gonna get beat up anyway); like 3/16 or 1/4" thick (less likely to break than the 1/8" they used to give me for my old cabinet) Seems that 1/2 of my spares would get busted in storage; but the way it mounted in that cab, it was like the "gasketed" windshield in my truck, and couldn't be any thicker in that unit though (that cabinet is history though)

20. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

21. Don B.

Don B.
    from IL

Yeah there are like 3 of them that I know of (and 1 in Indiana) that are all about an hour away.

22. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other, I suspect, if you're going to Washington....it's a bit off of 74. ;)

23. Don B.

Don B.
    from IL

UPDATE; I was within a few miles of a Grainger today (My Ma's been in the hospital a couple weeks now) and this one wasn't far from there; so I stopped and got a bucket of glass beads; I looked at the only gun they had; from the parts for the cabinets they sell, section; they had the gun "assembly" but it was just the body; the nozzles and air jets are seperate pieces; some "assembly", huh? and they didnt have the nozzles or the air jet in stock!!!
    They didn't wanna sell me the glass beads at first since I don't have an account with them; they asked me where I work; no where (damn disability) I'm on S.S. and they said something about chemicals, etc anything that had an MSDS sheet had to "only" be sold to places that were "on account", I told them where my last job was and they do have an acct there, so they put that company's name on the "sold to" even though I pd for myself; I hope they don't get pissd that I "used" their name; they were always "funny" like that even though I didn't put it on their "tab". Still need a gun though.

24. Don B.

Don B.
    from IL

Ya know, I was watching "Overhaulin" on the cable channel this morning; and they showed a DEAD RINGER for my cabinet; compared to some I've seen on these websites, I got enough of a look on it to see the side door latch and the dust collector; none of the ones I see on the Web for sale are set up quite like it; but I didnt see a name on it either. If I could find out who made this thing I could find maybe look for that company on the Web, it's pretty obvious this gun came with the cab, as the type of crimped clamp on the material hose isn't something you see "in the field". If I could figure that out I could probably get parts for this one cheaper tahn a whole new assembly. but I also want something that I can easily get "consumable" parts for in the future.

25. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

The best in the biz is Zero Blast-N-Peen. I couldn't find a website for them but I think they're in the midwest somewhere. Anyone else have any info?

26. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

The Zero cabinet is from Clemco. Our cabinet is the BNP220 also from Clemco. It is big enough for complete doors, chairs, some fenders...It has a media reclaimer that pulls all dust and grit from the box and filters it. The good grit gets re-used and the fines are then pushed into a stand alone dust collector.

Their BNP guns and foot pedals are great with a wide selction of clay and tungsten nozzles....

I'll post some pictures in a bit...

27. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

here you go...[​IMG]

You can see the size relation with the car wheel and the 10' blasting booth behind it. The round drum is the dust collector with a cyclone top. Our 600lb blast pot is being fitted to the bottom so it can be used as the reclaimer for the booth too.

The grit we use is aluminum oxide at about 80grit. It leaves almost a sheen to the metal and doesn't gouge at all (like a heavier grit like black beauty).