Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gasser it!!!To do or not to do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lockwoodkustoms, Feb 10, 2009.

1. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Well, I guess I have to start looking for a good glass nose for this thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As for the straight axle set up. I have a bunch of Ford straight axles so let me bring up another question. Which is better as Hair Pins Buggy spring style or Leaf sprung I have a 36 Dodge with a Tube Axle under it that is pretty cool looking and I am told I can put Ford Spindles on it.

2. I say.........................GASSER!!!!!!:cool:

3. chris55

chris55

yes...75-85 240 wagon

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  4. I'm with most of the rest, stick the nose in the air!!

5. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Here is the link that Chevygassermadness was talking about. It should help you get some ideas. Enjoy the pics...

6. beernut

beernut
    from solvang

i think any 240 volvo front wheel opening will work,(there all the same as far as i know)and they look very good

7. brentthebarber

brentthebarber
    from San Diego

HELL YEAH.... Gasser it out!

8. ...go to the Two-Lane Blacktop website for inspiration!

9. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

Gassers go fast but look like ass!

10. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

Remember, not all Gassers had straight axles and flip noses!

Unless you are going to actually race the thing, go with a Faux Gasser look and keep it driveable.

Or Plan B: Paint it flat black, jack it up, fake garage signs on the doors, skulls on the grill, red wheels, fake Hillborn Scoops, fake Spindle Mount wheels and white walls!

Either way, have fun, it's your car!

11. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Nose up, straight axle, radius the rear quarters, and glass tilt would be my choice.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

12. I read on the Twolane Blacktop site where one of the guys used some kind of Volvo front fender opening on the rear quarters, and it looked perfect. Perfectly round and had a nice radiused flare..check into it, do a search here for radiused fenders, should turn up the correct items to use to do it. I wouldnt do it the old way, where they welded electrical conduit to the radiused opening, and caked in the plastic filler. I cant see doing the work to it to make it so cool, then half assing something that is relatively easy to do, if you gots weldin' skills. Something to think about.

13. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I never saw one like this before :rolleyes: .......................
    The plan for this one is very simple Build it, Drive it and run it at the track being this car was raced years ago but was never cut up drastically. The inner wheelwells have been opened up about 4 inches and the frame has a cross bar welded in the rear so that the shock mounts are relocated. The car originally had a glass nose and deck lid when I first got it but they were beat up and real light and flimsy. So I started to gather the steel part for it and decided to figure which way to build it. at the moment though it is up the road being stored for the winter in a barn but we want to bring it back down and see what to do with it this summer.

14. This one doesn't!
    [​IMG]

15. Appleseed

Appleseed

Look up Shaky Pudding. His 55 is the cat's ass. Lots 'o' tech articles on gassing a Chevy. Makes James Taylor look like a pussy.

16. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Shaky Pudding is the car ass just make a street version.

17. chad

chad

I say make it a Rat Rod LMAO......

But seriously, Shaky Pudding's car is just about as bad ass as they come....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  18. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Well I am almost sure the "Rat Rod" thing just isn't gonna cut it for this one if you know what I mean. Some things should just not even be said............lol........ but seriously I am aware of Shakey Puddings car as well as many other Gassers. I have had this car for nearly 4 years and tucked it away because of this reason. %% are in my opinion the meanest looking of all the tri fives. I fellow HAMBer Raffman had one of the baddest ones I ever seen and when he would drive this thing around our area I would always dream of having one . Then a few months later I was able to find the one I have. But I did not want to build it the same way because you will have those who say look at him copying sos and so. But I realize now that his is gone and there are none around our area I can build this one similar as far as being a Gasser but yet totally different. But his car was and still is a hard car to measure up against. and being he is a very good friend I know he will also help me figure out what not to do as to what I should be doing. I value his opinions because is is hands down opne of the best I have ever seen as far as a good eye for detail let alone being able to paint the guys is a fucking God when it comes to thiat. Anyway I really appreciate tthe help from the guys who had PM'd me with way to perform the Wheel well's on this one and when I begin the opperation on this I will be sure to post as many pics as possible.

19. chad

chad

I hope you know the RAT ROD thing was just a joke LOL...

I Also agree with you the 55 are the best looking Tri 5's ...cant wait to see the progress!!!
    Nothing like a 55 with radiused rear quarters and a straight axle out front!!

20. dodgeboy

dodgeboy

Your car would look BADASS as a gasser! Although I would also reconsider cutting up those rear quarters,........but then again?....The choice definately has to be yours.

21. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Yeah I knewe that Just messing with you. I am not that easy to get mad..........lol..........hell that is what it is about sometimes a little bit of ball bustin makes this place interesting. Anyway I am wondering who here on the HAMB has the yellow 55 and does it have a straight axle because it looks sweet but I can't seem to remember who has it or what thread I seen it in.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  22. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I found these pics of it the day I took it up to be stored. I have to bring it back home this summer.

Attached Files:

• 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      98.2 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      104.7 KB
      Views: