Register now to get rid of these ads!

steering arm help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billybadass, Feb 11, 2009.

1. billybadass

billybadass
    from ohio

ok i bought a set of the drop steering arms well i have not mounted em yet but to me it looks like they are still not down far enough to clear my wishbones any help would be great.

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

first off,i'm scared to communicate with anyone called billybadass

second it would help to have pics and what the hell you're building.

3. billybadass

billybadass
    from ohio

yeah i was drunk when i set up my account hahahaha. i am building a33 ford pick up but it is on a model a frame with a suicide front end. would post pics still not to sure how to.

4. I had the same situation, and found that the flat arms from Speedway, mounted upside down, allowed the tierod to sit about 1/2" above the wishbones. This is in a Model A frame using a CE 4" drop axle with 34 bones.

5. billybadass

billybadass
    from ohio

are you talking about the flat stamped ones? i might have to look into this. i will have to see just how much room i have there. i wonder if i will have to order a new tierod too or what? if that would work.

6. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

With a 4" drop axle, no steering arm will clear "wishbones". The steering arms were built for a 4 link or hairpin front suspension, which will enable you to place the tie rod threw your hairpin.... Heat the arms cherry red and bend. If you have not cut off the original steering arms, bend the originals.... Keep in mind your ackerman angle.....

7. billybadass

billybadass
    from ohio

ok but the drop steering arms were supposed to be made to clear the wish bones though. call me dumb but what is ackerman angle?

8. billybadass

billybadass
    from ohio

9. The flat arms are not stamped, they're flame cut. They worked for me. The dropped arms are meant for hairpins, but a tierod can be mounted on top or below, and this can sometimes work, depending on your set up.
    Here in New Zealand it's illegal to heat and bend ANY steering components.
    Ackermann angle is the way your wheels work when turning corners. It's an imaginary line drawn through your kingpins, tierod ends and the centre of your rear end. Both lines should converge at the rear end. T buckets and rat rods often run the tierod in front of the axle with no consideration for the Ackermann angle. It'll work, but is not ideal, and will cause tire scrub and potential steering problems at speed.

10. billybadass

billybadass
    from ohio

11. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I have not seen a pair of aftermarket dropped steering arms which will work without heating and bending using split wish bones.... As stated above regarding "ackerman angle" this is an imaginary line drawn threw your king pin, tie rod which will meet at the rear end. These two lines, one for each side, will meet at the same point near rear end pinion and form a "V"... If you do not take into account this angle, your front tires will track on a different radius and create excess tire wear.... Heat the arms up cherry red, you do not need much pressure/force to bend the arms when heated. Allow the arms to cool slowly, DO NOT use water to cool arms.... To be cautious when you are finished, magnaflux the arms to show any cracks, etc...

12. billybadass

billybadass
    from ohio

kool everyone thanks for the info.