Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cheater Slicks do they work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinbender, Feb 11, 2009.

1. I'm putting together my 33 ford P/U, finally! It will be a street car that sees a good amount of time on the strip. Is anyone running cheater slicks on the track, and are they hooking up?

2. Search Hurst here. I ran em, they need to be REAL hot to stick, they wear like iron.

3. S.F.

S.F.

Dont know but they look cool

4. ct

ct
    from minnesota

I've only run mine on the street. So far so good. They balanced up well and yes, look cool. The company was great to deal with. T man who posted above would know better than I how well they work.

5. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Are ya gonna make 250hp? Yeah, they might hook.
    Gonna make 500 hp? No, they won't hook.

6. chevyshack

chevyshack

Get some drag radials. They have geat traction and have tread patterns to make them street legal. The fastets street car in the US used them.

7. I had my set on the 54 and the Touring. Not a ton of mileage but 3 or 4 seasons of use. I like em. But, as DW says they do not hook under real HP. Which can be a good thing if you do not want to break shit!

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

They hook better than street tires for sure. Everybody's got a different balance of use and you really need to look at your annual tire budget and annual mileage and make the right decision for you. Some of em don't last real long on the street, especially if you're also burning the heck out of em at the track frequently.

good luck

9. belair

belair

And just how would you know? :)

10. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

They will absolutely NOT work...they're considered CHEATING - just like steroids. Live a CLEAN life, stay away from CHEATERS. Sister Superior will give you a good grade if you do so.

dj

11. Right now about 325 hp, but if I keep the truck I'll step up next year. it should end up around 2400 lbs. I'll race it hard and often, so it looks like I'm gonna need two sets of tires

12. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

My 10'' Radirs went 12.20's w/ no problems while wrinkling the side wall in my Model A Pickup..never broke traction off the line not once...I ran 8 lbs. of pressure....and would have gone faster, but I swapped for the lighter M/T's..saving the Radirs for when it hits the street again.......Littleman

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

But they just look plain wrong on some cars, like those without fenders... :eek::D

14. Wrinkled a pie-crust slick??
    .........I think those are "real" tires, and not re-caps.

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Gee, I was gonna get some for the Fordillac, just for looks! Now I learn they won't hook up! Est. 400+ hp....they have to better than the 7.50x16's!

16. blt4speedsince79

blt4speedsince79

ive ran 12.4's on them and the motor makes a little better than 500 hp but i had to get them extremely hot to hook. the only issue i had with them that they were extremely heavy. the differance between cheeter slicks and m/t et drags was 11.8 with m/t and 12.4 with cheeters

17. chickenwire

chickenwire
    from New Jersey

Yes Radirs are "real" tires... I've ran them since I had the sedan on the road-8 years I guess, all for street use tho, great tires.

18. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Yeah, he has. In his truck. I've seen pics on here somwhere of it.

The best I have managed on them was 11.50
    I then found 11.04 on real slicks.

19. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BFGoodrich Drag radials are the BEST compromise of traction and real street driving. (exellent in teh rain) BUT, they stick out like a billet pulley on a period car. If you can stick em under a set of fenders, do it.

My little car runs 11.40s on BFGs.
    [​IMG]

-Abone.

20. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

21. guess i wont state whats already been stated...

But im gonna anyways..For the look and street traction wise there is no better than Hursts...very affordable too..
    On the track, yes you gotta get em damn hot and they will be sticky..A few of my friends have run em with 350+hp cars and have had good results...

T.Hilton

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  23. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Use some tread softener on the tires. Soke some rags with tread softener, wrap the rags around the tires, then wrap the tires with plastic so the chemical will not just evaporate.

Then heat up the tires good at the track.

They will not stick like todays drag tire compounds.....

24. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

If you have seen D.W. in his ride, with his wife wearing her kool hot rod ear protectors, then you will understand why his tires do not hook. For a street driven hot rod, he has it set on KILL......

25. k-member

k-member

26. Kurt

Kurt

For the steet yes. On the track NO. I had a post about 1 1/2yrs ago on this. Vey good info.

27. blown green t

blown green t

I have the 8 1/2" Hurst slicks, and have 2,500 miles so far. On the street they don't hook up very well, but if you do a good burn out they stick good. I'm running about 400hp and ran a 7.6 @ 93 mph in the 1/8th mile. But my T is a little lighter than most cars. I have one that never did balance right though. I just didn't want to hassle with shipping it back for an exchange.

28. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

MH Race Masters.

29. What kind of 60ft times are you guys getting at the track?

I've gone 1.35 on 28x10.5 MT ET Drags and 325-50-15 MT drag radials.

30. Glen

Glen

1.35? wow....can we see a picture of the car please. Thats with a brake right?