Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever flipped your leaf springs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xjassenx, Feb 11, 2009.

1. xjassenx

xjassenx

Have any of you ever done this to lower your car? I was told it was a good way but it would seem to me that it would really mess up the ride?

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Depends, on 49-54 chevies it will rub on the rivet that holds the hanger in place on the front.

3. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

I did it on the front of a '56 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup,...lowered it about 4" and it rode great...

4. Weasel

Weasel

Do it properly and get the eyes reversed and/or the springs re-arched by a spring shop.

5. brewsir

brewsir

I have flipped just the main leaf and reassembled the pack...but it started out as a pretty flat spring under load to start with.
    You can do a search on here for rearching your spring or reversing it yourself...don't really need a spring shop.

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I reversed my main leaf with a press. Took about 30 minutes. On page 3 or 4 of my model a build..

7. Several times, mainly on trucks. Ride was fine.

8. chad lampert

chad lampert
    from Michigan

I did it on my 70 gmc truck, I lowered it a buch and it rides fine

9. xjassenx

xjassenx

what about my shock? the shock mount is on the leaf spring would that affect anything?

10. 59mercsled

59mercsled

just take out one of the springs and cut down all the others it irdes rough as hell but it makes it lower and dont cost shit. We used to do it to our mini trucks when we couldnt affored bags. and if you want adjustable suspention just leave in the one big spring and go to an auto zone and buy air shocks.

11. Spedley

Spedley

No.

12. You're reducing ride height by decreasing suspension travel-- your shock follows the travel of the spring, so....chances are, the shock is going to be pretty much compressed most of the time, and bottom out somewhat often, depending on how much you drop it.

-- basically, you will need shorty shocks. They're easier to get than you think.

13. juanski

juanski

relocate your shock mounts to get the best lift and travel on your air shocks if you plan on runing the auto zone air shocks, or else your shocks will bottom out too soon.

14. This does not sound real safe to me!!!
    Do your self a favour and get your springs reset. I had this done with my falcon and it cost about $150 and i got a 4 in drop

15. Mattilac

Mattilac

Did it on my '64 ford truck. Lowered it about 4" rides fine. The springs look kinda scary now but so far so good and it rides fine!