Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn find: Jimmy Suburban

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Talk about a cruise party wagon! A good friend of mine found this listed in a small paper as a 1966 Suburban. Once the dust was washed away, it was red with only one repaint and still shined even though it's flaky around the edges. Sat on a dirt floor so long that the rims were too bad to use and a lot of the brake hardware was shot.

A set of old 15" rims that would hold the original dog dish caps and used tires that would still hold air and it was rolling. Fresh springs, lines and shoes and it stopped again. Tune up, plugs and battery and it finally hit the road for a normal drive. Even the interior cleaned up nice and there was very little that wasn't original. Runs great with no smoke and no plans for any real change soon. Maybe a few subtle changes to make it look like a nostalgic dragstrip push truck. Don't know why the ad was screwed up, but he scored it for $5K. Cool, huh?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. brewsir

brewsir

Damn...good score!

3. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

really nice find. love those old 'burbans

4. dirybyrd

dirybyrd

chop top, 20" wheels and flames, slamed to the ground...........Giggity Giggity Giggity

5. alaskanroadzombies

alaskanroadzombies

give you 6500 for it sight unseen

6. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

real good find!

7. Too cool; I'd love to get my hands on an Advance Design 'Burb to park next to my daily driver 1990 model. They seem to have all rotted away up here long ago, though......

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

That must be a rare bodystyle, sure don't see many. How many did they make originally?

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You are in the wrong place....

10. Spedley

Spedley

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Looks great! Please don't EVER let this happen!!!!!!!

11. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I sold a super nice 57 Oldsmobile recently because it was tooooo darned nice an original car to monkey with. This one is the same way. But it's soooo cool in it's original form, there's no need to hot rod it. Got to admit I like the thought of doing the drag racer push car look. I've got clips of the exact same vehicle doing just that.......

12. zbuickman

zbuickman

does he want a nut??? Id cut one off for that.... I want one BAD.............:)

13. wvenfield

wvenfield

That just makes you smile.

14. onedge

onedge

wow it appears to very orig! fulton visor/ under the hood seems un-molested...clam shell doors! wow wow... dont stray to far ... keep it as is.... minimal improvements! cool cool!

15. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

very nice truck, gret that he had found this, esp in one piece

16. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

17. Man that's sweet...love to see that one sitting in my garage...perfect family hauler...nice score

18. bryan6902

bryan6902

Since it's not a hydro have some fun! Multiple carbs, split the exhaust, drop it, wide whites and drive the pants off it!

19. dirybyrd

dirybyrd

OK try this

13" spoke's, chain steering wheel, fuzzy dash mat and fringe from headliner....................LOL:D

20. looks like a 50' to me. the clamshell rear door is hard to find. have you ran the vin# yet? where is Old Sub? steve! did it have the rear seats? post thr vin and more pic's.

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

How about a 292" 6, a 700r4, lower it, caps ands rings, drive the piss out of it? Oh yea, gotta have some sweet sounding pipes. Done!!

Frank

22. dirybyrd

dirybyrd

now we're talkin......WWW???????????

23. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

24. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Good call 55 dude. It's a 50 and has the front passenger seat that lifts up and forward on the original erector set arrangement. The center seat is narrow on the passenger side to let people pass to the 3rd seat at the tailgate. Even the rear light drops down to display the light and tag if traveling with the tail wide open.

25. JamesG

JamesG

Damn that's clean and cheap too!

Now, do this to it.

This one is a GMC too with a Chevy grill. Ex-Army ambulance built by Grumpy on here and I bought it.
    [​IMG]

26. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

What's the lump on the roof James?

27. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont do a thing just drive it till the wheels fall off then fix it and drive some more:D

28. JamesG

JamesG

That was the fresh air vent from when it was an ambulance. It once had a fan that drew air in for when they had a patient.

[​IMG]

29. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

that's pretty cool, and you don't really see alot of them around, enjoy it!

30. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Cool looking ride for sure. Neat little feature with the air box. But cool too that the red barn find is just the way it was a half century ago when it was hauling workers to the job. Or at least that the story on the truck. 80% of the seat material is still original and nice. Very few other nicks or tear on anything inside. Just a near time capsule hauler.