Register now to get rid of these ads!

600 hp. Flathead ! Impossible?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timebandit, Mar 17, 2004.

1. klazurfer

klazurfer

Germ ?? He have been in hidings for years ...
    Timebandit :.. He worked at Coles`place .. ( Salinas boys )
    Last time I spoke with timebandit, he was back home in Norway ...

" ...Naw. I think you got it wrong. Theese guys has been hard workin hot rodders for decades. They build this beast just for the fact to see if they can get it run. They intend to stuff it in a drop tank and race it a B-ville ... "

If Timebandit reads this , He might fill you inn on how that venture turned out ..

Klaz:)

2. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

Landy built that original motor for Ron for over $50,000 and they're friends. How much you willing to put into yours today?

old sidewinder

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Same idea. No reverse

Attached Files:

4. This sort of shit always happens around Full Moon time.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

LMAO, you just made me spit coffee. You are joking right? Ever put one on a dyno? I didn't think so. Not even close dude. If Mert Lawwill's bike was only making 48 hp in '69, I'd say that was the top of the pile.

6. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I can get 85 HP from a 5 HP Briggs & Stratton...

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'd read that somewhere i belive harley said it, then again it could be a factory lie too, got me thinking should dyno my 56 or 57 cube wl with a kr upper when I get that motor done

8. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

You may wish to recheck your math. Wayno

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The other thing about Mert's is that I believe it was larger than 45 as well. I think by '69 the race motors grew to 52. I would not put it past the factory to lie. Hell they still do. Ever dyno a big twin? Almost laughable half the time.

10. Ice man

Ice man

Im 70 and remember reading in Hot rod mag yrs ago a couple of guys did that and ran on the salt. There first run the trany stuck in low gear and they just ran it down the track. If my memory serves me right, she ran 101mph. They fixed the trany and ran 110 in high, but the engine sure looked strange to me as a kid. When you think of the flat head that Henry built, and what has been done with it, nothing is unexceptable. Ice man

11. zbuickman

zbuickman

yeah me too:D
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GL1tA8FXmkg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  12. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

13. All the ports were extensively reworked on that motor -- I heard that Landy had over 100 hours of welding alone on that block. Then there is the super big issue of trying to keep the center web from cracking out of it. His achievement is truly awesome, but you can bet he had somewhere between $100 - 200K in just one engine.

14. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

sounds like a waste of time and money but as i once heard "a fool born every minute"

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't see how it's a waste of time and money. I assume Ron Main could afford what it cost and having the first and as yet only flathead to go 300 can never be taken away. He will alsays be first. What are you doing with your money that is so much better?

16. I must also be a fool, if i had money to burn, thats exactly how i would do it...................and a gerbil ranch :)

17. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The KH was 54"....900cc (actually closer to 883cc, but called 900cc) - introduced in '54-ish(?) - production ended in '56-ish(?) and the ironhead continued in the "900cc" config until '71-ish(?)...

Then you miss the point completely.

As my dad always said - anything is possible given enough time and money.

Worth noting is the fact the Harley WL/WR/K/KH/KR/KHR/ETC had much different valve inclination than the Ford flathead. Not to dismiss what they had accomplished by the very early '70s (fastest side-valve engine), but not all is readily transferrable to the Ford flatty.

18. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

Hmmmm..... if hp is a waste of money you should take up bird watching...

19. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

yes exactly, if you think as neasly 100G's is big money on a race engine consider a Gullwing Mercedes engine restored to stock will $250,000 in partas and machining.
    Here in 2008, the horsepower factory in melbourne got 1835 HP from a street driven Holden,and if you ever had anything to do with a sorry shit pile like a Holden you would understand the $600,000 it cost to achieve it!! six hundred thousand dollars...thats spending BIG.

20. cactus zach

cactus zach

very possible 1000 plus ponys

Attached Files:

21. vertible59

vertible59

how about the 350 up his butt...and lets race the gerbels. much more inventive...don't you think?

22. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

but they produced the KR racer until '68 so a lot of semi modern technology was applied, really i've looked at the setup seriously and the size of the valves as compared to the cubic inches is rediculious, but on an L- head it also lowers compression significantly also the ports are completly unrestricted, it goes straight from valve to exhaust pipe you can actually see through the valve pocket to the exhaust pipe

It really isn't 100% applicable to a ford because you cant fit as much ratio of valve to displacement in one of those blocks, physicly wont fit

23. It's comments like this and a few others that have me wondering why even bother asking a serious question on this site? Is there any need for dumb ass comments? Must have plenty of spare time.

24. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but even though this post is really Old, it is always interesting to talk flatheads and HP.
    There is quite a lot of knowledge on this site, a lot of talented people, like Bruce L, Flat Ernie, Blown49, JWL, Wayno, Ole Ron, Flat32..................and others. How about a carbureted flathead that would put out 300/350hp on gas?

I know times are hard right now, and I am a relative newcomer, but has the H.A.M.B. ever
    thought about building a Bonneville/El Mirage car as a collective group????
    I've got an extra "pristine" 8BA block, Doug King mains and bottom end girdle, NOS Halibrand Champ rearend..................just a thought.

Attached Files:

25. Hey BURNEDUP...............many "good" racing people don't do it the easy way like some we won't mention. Their test is to be different.........and they usually succeed. Using an sbc,,,is a the easy way out and "just like most" of the easy out people. I love these kind of challenges myself..................thanks

26. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Everybody, take a look at the dates on this thread. Some neat discussion still happening, but I don't think someone who posted in '04 is going to see your reply.

27. This thread is the perfect example of Hot Rodding, you either get it or you don't. The Flathead is pushing almost 100 years old and people are still arguing, errr... discussing how to get more power out of the engine. It doesn't matter if you have $1000 or $100,000 to build one, the goal is to make it the baddest that you can. Anyone can get 1:1 hp/cu from a sbc, but to do it with a flathead, that takes some ingenuity, initiative, and innovation... well that and some $$$

28. belair

belair

What's wrong with theological history? I always wondered why you know so much, now I know. You're "The Librarian"!

29. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You just figured that out? Haha!!

I wish I had one tenth of Bruce's knowledge, familiarity with, and access to early Ford pubs...