Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Yet another whats it worth thread - 54 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dante81_98, Feb 10, 2009.

1. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

So I am looking at this car. He is listing it at $14,500. He says there are some scratches in the paint. The interior is in good shape. Has a 235 6 cylinder with a 350 trans and a camaro rear end. I have not gone to look at it yet as it is a ways away from me, but according to the guy it is in great shape. You will have to look past the wheels. Those would be the first things to be replaced. So, is it worth it? I have never really been in the market for a classic so don't really know what they are worth.

Thanks,
    Chad

Attached Files:

2. 14,500 seems a little high not terribly unreasonable though.

3. for that kind of money, I would want to see it up in the air. That way you can see if the changes made were done properly, check frame and floors for damage or rust.

It looks pretty clean. Seems a little high on the price though, to me.

I guess it all depends on the history, true mileage, mechanical records, etc.
    Odd color too. Kinda has that "baby shit" look to it.

4. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

too much. maybe if it was all original. but with a swapped driveline, no.

5. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

I don't think it's worth it. jmo

6. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Yeah, I fully intend on getting it into the air and checking for rust and workmanship. Once again, from my understanding is that it doesn't have any rust. Been an AZ car for a while.

I am not to concerned with the drivetrain swap and I agree on the color. Not my favorite, but can be changed later. I was just impressed with how complete it was. Thats what caught my attention.

So lets assume for this exercise that the work is good and the rust is non-existent, what do you think?

Keep the opinions coming.

Later,
    Chad

7. Even with all that's been said, its still better than a $15,000 new POS and will still be worth alot more down the road than that same new car.
    When the new car will be at its endlife, the Chevy will still be cruising along.

8. cretin

cretin

A bit spendy, I think.
    If the dude owns the car don't you think he could have opened the door or at least rolled down the window to get a decent pic of the interior?

9. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

I thought the same thing. These were just the pics he had. He said he was going to get some better pics so we shall see.

Later,
    Chad

10. JohnShaft

JohnShaft
    from Tejas

Not knocking your choice by any means but if I was already thinking that I had to paint a car and put new wheels and tires on it, I sure wouldn't be paying $14,500. That a lot of outlay for a non-rare car that's not what you want.

11. sick50ford

sick50ford
    from nor cal

+1 thats exactly what i was thinking spending new car money on rust, new cars suck

12. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

You are correct. And that did cross my mind too. I would answer with the fact that I know a lot of lowrider guys so I can unload those rims real quick and make up enough money to get new rims and tires. The color isn't so bad that I wouldn't drive it either. No matter what I get I will end up paiting it at some point.

I wasn't actually in the market. I stumbled across the for sale post and he said he was open to trades and happens to be interested in my truck. So it is kinda one of those situations where the opportunity presented itself and I just need to find out if the car is worth what he is asking so I can determine where to go from there on the trade.

Thanks,
    Chad

13. mackster

mackster

Well, any 50s chevy part you will need can be easily had for a reasonable price so dont be fool by the idea that is complete. it maybe all after market parts. . .if you change the color, the interior and the wheels, what are you really buying for 15,000? I would consider a car were you can use most of it. . .or more reasonably priced. . .. My $.02

14. S.F.

S.F.

I agree....BUT i probably wouldnt buy it if you want to change the wheels. Your looking at another 500-1000 in just wheels and tires if you get new stuff.

15. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

looks like a really nice specimen indeed. any speed equipment under the hood ? split man, dual intake ? I would say yes its worth the gingle because i know and love the 49-54 chevies myself. for 14,500 i would look the inner rockers, everything under over real good. sounds like they took care of the gearbound problem rear swap allready.

I am looking at a 53 chevy no where near as clean as this one right now for 9,500. after chrome and paint i will be in your ballpark.

16. If you don't like it the way it is, it's high. If you like it, then it's about right, give or take. If anything the upgraded drivetrain is miles better than it being stock, as long as it's done well. Isn't that a factory color or close to one?

17. R Pope

R Pope

It is a factory color, my HT is the same. The price would be OK if it was a HT, seems high for a post. Are you sure it's a 235? T350's don't fit them. I would guess it has a 250 swapped in.

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'd be thinking more like $10k and that's if it checks out.

19. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

The car looks nice,but not for 14k.There is a guy in Cali.,has a 52 HT,done car,with a dressed up 6,black for 15k.He belongs to the National 49-54 Chevy club.

20. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

The car could have a turbo 350.He might have used an adapter.Possibly from Langdons' Stovebolt engine company.

21. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

I got mine for a lot less and it was in great shape. Its a bel air that just needed paint and a few other minor things. It has a corvette 327 and a mustang II front suspension. It also has ac. That would be great if it is worth what he is asking which means I got a steal.

22. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

9,500.. I'd leave the wheels and paint and drive it the way it is, looks cool, if you want something with whitewalls and a more common color there are PLENTY of chevys for sale out there, done, not done whatever.. If your going to spend above 10k get yourself a hardtop with a small block and an overdrive to cruise. mustang II wouldn't hurt either, you dont need AC just maybe a heater would be nice...
    Anthony

23. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

$9500.00...final offer. You'll both be happy.

24. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

after reading the other hambers post .........my memory brought me to one here in hamb classifieds.

A really nice 1953 allready got the full tratment, frenched, nosed, decked, speed equipment, split man.

the car is white with some tastefull pinstriping for 10,000.

25. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

26. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

Id buy it just for "THE CLUB" LOL.....Hey Sometimes if you really want something the price is the price..... if you want it wheel and deal and drive away. now some wide whites on the chrome wires, If its Juiced let her drop and roll away..arm out the window and a big smile....and Ill catch ya at the Pavilions

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  27. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

[​IMG]

this is the one here in hamb classifieds. wanted to trade my harley for it. guy wants CASH !

it allready has the treatment , speed equipment etc, so i guess the guys here ,appraisals were right on the money !

28. wvenfield

wvenfield

Wow, I missed that white one in the classifieds. Most certainly a far better deal. IMO 14K for as noted a not hard to find car is steep.

Not having rust is a premium for any car but western 54's aren't that hard to find. Many need paint but that's already been covered here.

29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Where are all the guys who consider 14K for a 2dr post sedan a good deal when I want to sell something?:D

30. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

Seems like alot of bread unless you are flat in love with that particular car. You can take the wheels off but getting rid of that paint is a little harder. If you shopped around you could probably buy a car with the paint and wheels you want. Or buy one that is at the paint stage and paint it the color you want.

heck you could buy a new Kia for the same money.:eek:

or a new Harley.:)