Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '26 T roadster build gets it's ass in gear!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by marx, Sep 8, 2008.

1. marx

marx

It's been a couple weeks; having guests in town, and then a particularly large and somewhat incapacitating tattoo session; I'm back on track; heeled up and feeling strong!
    Had my wheels sandblasted, Then spent the better part of Sunday painting them to match the Oldsmobile green...this was at Titus' encouragement, after a lengthy discussion about options a couple weeks ago. I gotta admit: I was a little more than skeptical about it looking ok! (what with being damn near John Deere green and all!) Got the rubber mounted today, bolted 'em up, and I'm glad to say: I really dig the look of it.
    Cheers Jeff! I'll never doubt ya again...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  2. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Wheels look great... Along with everything else..!

3. John Deere green never looked that good. Great progress.

4. skyspop

skyspop

MMMMMMMgreen like the $$$$$$,How did you get a few days off anyway?Just got back from the 815,I'll have to get in touch with you,I hear your heading that way in a couple weeks?I may need you to deliver some things if you have room..Lookin good,let me know if you need anything I have...

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, obviously no one else sees the major floor in this build so I will enlighten you to it.

Its not mine.

Doc.

6. marx

marx

Long overdue update time! Matt and Steffan stopped by a couple weeks back and helped make sense of the rear. Steffan drew up some nifty axle hangers for the rear bones; Matt got 'em cut; and they worked out real slick. Got my Durant mono-spring all set up and bolted in place, then yesterday I made up some plates, made a 2x4 rear crossmember; and hung everything where it needs to be. Then I set it down. It's officially a roller! Just gotta finish up boxing the last six inches or so of the rails, and things should be pretty tied up out back.

Attached Files:

7. marx

marx

Had a couple Hambers ask me what I was gonna do for my body mounts. Finally made some decisions, and got 'em done today. In the front, I ended up just using the stock front mounts. I extended them about two inches, moved the holes, and they line up pretty good with the front of the x-member. For the mid mounts; I cut up the rear cross-bar that I'd cut out from under the trunk, flipped them upside down, and welded them diagonally into the corners in the front of the turtle deck, behind the seat. They line up with the rear of the x-member. For the rear mounts I made up a cross-bar of some rectangular tube I had laying around (i think its like 1x3 maybe) and reached them up and over the rails. I think it'll all work out pretty good. Seems solid as hell to me.
    That's all for this week!
    maybe i can sneak out there on Thanksgiving and get my dash figured out.....

Attached Files:

8. PG

PG

This T looks sweet man! Normally not much into Ts but yours looks real nice. Like the powerplant too. Lookin foward to see this on the street this summer.

9. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Marx.... I like the way you did that rear spring mount. How about those headers ? Ready for me ?

10. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

progress looks bad ass!!!

by the way, is that an avatar of dio?

11. marx

marx

Uhm...they got a bit neglected. :rolleyes: I'm gonna try to get 'em tacked up tomorrow morning though...

12. marx

marx

Ha Ha! You bet it is!! I figured this Ronnie pic fit the image if an "Alliance Member" far better than my own. Hey, maybe I should be calling this roadster the "Holy Diver"? Ha!
    Either way: Dio rulez.

13. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

hah! badass!!

14. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

looking forward to seeing more photos, I love the look of that frame.

15. marx

marx

Snowy day in Minnesota; so I figured I'd fire up the wood stove, and tackle something I've been putting off.
    Can't remember what this dash is, Chevy maybe? (thanks Andy!) Anyway, I dig the big twin gauges, and the glove box door is the perfect size. I cut out five inches, mated it up to the perimeter of the original dash (so I can still bolt it in as Henry intended) and tweeked a bit here and there. Works out much better than I'd hoped it would. Find a couple big gauges to throw in it, and I think it'll look like it was meant to be there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  16. thats a slick dash man

17. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

Chevy AD truck gauges might look nice, if the holes are the right size, and they are easy to find. Nice project.

18. marx

marx

Jack-thanks for the tip! I think you might be right!

19. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

i think the mid 30's ford gauges are larger too plus you get to keep the ford script, just saw one on CL for $25.

20. marx

marx

The road to St. Paul's "World of Wheels" is growing rapidly shorter! The clock is ticking, so I've been too busy stitching and grinding to update the thread for a while; so here it goes. After a couple of Sunday grinds with Matt, Stefan, and Ryan Malone; mixed in with some early mornings and late nights, I've managed to get it rolling and presentable for the show!
    Stripped it back down, flipped the frame and welded everything up; finishing the boxing in the rear, notching and boxing the front of the rails to get that axle tucked up nice and low. Hung a nifty set of hangers for the 'bones, courtesy of Stefan and Matt (available soon to civilians, I hear). Got the body mounted up good and solid; shortened the seat pan, and slid it back and down. Matt delivered a real slick set of headers; unfortunately I'd neglected to let him know my plans for the f100 steering, so it's back to the drawing board on those. Shame, too; cuz they look goddamn nice! Was also hoping to get the steering done in time for the show; but parts hording has just taken too damn long. Here's some random shots of progress as of tonight.
    Hope to see all of you at the show! Come out and support this thing if you can make it; show your support of local, working class hot rodding! Tuck sticks his neck out to make this thing happen, so I hope we can wow them with our numbers!
    See ya there!

Attached Files:

21. marx

marx

more...

Attached Files:

22. marx

marx

two more...

Attached Files:

23. titus

titus

looks bad ass, cant waint to see it in the show, your kickin ass on that thing!

JEFF

24. skyspop

skyspop

wheres the three deuces?Have you fired up the motor yet?Hope to see you sunday,It looks like the only day I can make it,I have to go up to duluth till saturday.Lookin schweet marks,green,"Like the eyes of a cat,in a darkened room....Holy Diver!!,,I got some chrome rocket covers if you want them,the way my projects are going,I'll probablly never use them...later,patrick..

25. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Your dash is 33-34 olds. I used to have a 34.
    Mat

26. marx

marx

Thanks for the info, Mat!

27. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

absolutely bitchin, MARX

28. marx

marx

There ya go, patrick. Happy now?!

Attached Files:

29. abomber30

abomber30
    from syc, ILL

like I missed this whole thing I have heard you had a roadster hahaha saw some small pics on my phone thought they were of a model car/ I guess it's real. awesome job brotha. did you make the show?

30. i saw the pics from wow and it looks killer out in the open