Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WINTER PROJECT: The LEGION SPECIAL from the Beginning to UPDATE #7! Matt Gets INJURED

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Feb 7, 2009.

1. I think the proportions look great. I don't think this car is meant to be a low slung european race car. The stance alone should tell you that. The car is tall by design and I think it is pulled off wonderfully. Nice work guys.

2. I think that Bluto has a point, but aesthetically it could go either way.

The Hilborne lakester, while not tall was distinctally narrow, the Audis were a bit closer to the ground hence the shape, (not unlike the Miller streamliner, albeit the nose was flatter in that case). I think that there is a lot of response to what the sketch looks like and the way it looks in real life. Honestly, Kirk and Matt are there and can look at it, see how it 'feels'.

But as Kirk noted, there is no reason to go off on Bluto. He has some serious time in this and has had serious machines. His opinion is more than well appreciated. That said too, it is his OPINION, and when it comes from a well respected source, you can choose to take it or leave it. Let Kirk and Matt decide what to do with the opinion. It isn't any of our business.

Lastly, just wanted to tell you this is a great thread and I think it looks like it is shaping up great. I agree that the top of the nose could come down a bit, but if you all did nothing it will look really cool. Good luck with it, I look forward to more posts.

Some more inspiration....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dig this little Amilcar, your nose resembles this a bit...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dave,

what is this, do all the kool kids in the 707 have roadsters in their avatars? :D

Kirk,

the belly pan is a good call.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  4. KIRK!

KIRK!

Except then the hood would not follow the angle of the cowl.

5. Again these are all examples of cars that are low to the ground. Kirk's is not and I personally think that it would look weird to have a car that sits maybe 8"-12" off the ground have a hood that slants down to a shorter grill.

Bluto's problem is his approach had he posted his last comments first it would not come across as a put down like his first three posts which made no useful commentary and just seemed smart assed.

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

This Amilcar is bitchin! It's grille is proportionally the same as what we are doing. It is about 50% taller than the front tire.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  7. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I've been holding out on commenting Kirk...but this looks BADASS!
    I dig where this is going.....alot....
    That is all.....

8. Gigantor

Gigantor

Where can I get me a Fonz/Ponz that will do all kinds of crazy ass metalwork like that in 3 weeks? You must be good at giving him whatever it is you're giving him to get that kind of work out of 'em. Damn.

9. Kirk!,

What about connecting the upper and lower grille holes- may get rid of the "Jimmy Durante" look.

10. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

great words dave..

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

The only thing we have decided upon for the opening is to decide when the nose and hood are done. Then we'll literally draw on a bunch of ides and decide on one.

But here are a couple more quick ideas...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. I like the nose.... & it sure beats the hell out of this:

[​IMG]

Kudos to KIRK! for going the extra mile.

JH

13. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

Not that you asked, but I like this the best out of any of the nose ideas. The metalworking skills it takes to do this kind of work just amazes me. Wish I was 1/1000th as talented as Matt and others that have posted on here.

[​IMG]

14. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the split grill helps break up the mass better. gives it a radiator inlet and an "other" inlet.

15. Kirk,
    What's the plan regarding color? I can appreciate the others opinions, and with the addition of the belly pan it will 'balance' out ok, just thinking a uniform solid colour will help people visualise the complete package....

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

P.S. not that it matters, but I preffer the grill style shown above....

16. CRAP

CRAP

I think it looks dreamy!

17. KIRK!

KIRK!

Nothing is final regarding color, but right now I'm liking solid silver with brown lettering and numbers.

18. NOTCH

NOTCH

SHAMWOW!!! Car is looking Great Kirk.

19. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Wow ! Got my vote for best winter project !

20. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I am kind of a fool, but looks pretty good to me Kirk and Matt. Sounds like you guys have obviously thought about it quite a bit, done some good research for references and have your reasons for the approach you are going after. I say, listen to any constructive thoughts and ideas (as you already seem to be anyway), but go with your gut feeling as to whether it needs to be tweaked or not and what grill shape you want to do. Bluto seems to be just offering up thoughts in a constructive way and I am sure you are cool with that.

You guys know what you are doing and the car also doesn't need to be a total slave to past cars either. Every car is different and it is fine for car to break a mould or two if needed. I am sure it isn't meant to be a period perfect recreation but more of a good respectable interpretation.

Either way, again, looks like you guys are doing some nice work on it. Keep it up and good luck.

21. The Amilcar is soooo cool. The only thing is the car you are working on is probably a half size bigger! It really is pretty tiny, with a little banger engine in it.

22. To your first point, why? The Golden Sub(the original), has that sort of look. Nothing 'wrong with it, just a matter of taste. Also, the MG and Amilcar are anything but low to the ground, all of these cars had space because the roads they raced on were crappy, I think that the Blitzn Benz has about 8 or 9 inches of clearance, not to mention all the other 20+ Liter cars, hell even the old Bentley's have about a foot.

Second, I think that Bluto's point is his own opinion. If that isn't yours its OK, just that it isn't yours. Bluto sure as hell isn't taking anything away from the fact that it is a cool build.

23. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

Can you take a picture of it while laying on the ground - using a fish eye lense?

If I have learned anything from OSR, that is it, cars should only be viewed through that perspective.

24. Kirk and Matt,

If I had to vote on an opening, go for the top, but less open on the vertical portion. This would evoke the look of that other tall roadster you posted before and have the cool lower 'mouth'.

MRAK

25. KIRK!

KIRK!

Ask and you shall receive. It's nowhere near cool enough for OSR, but maybe if we cut the grill opening in the shape of an iron cross or a spider web...

[​IMG]

26. In regard to proportion, you could always go this way (thanks for the pic fur biscuit):

[​IMG]

27. KIRK!

KIRK!

YES! That's the photo we have on the hop wall.

28. The original Golden Sub hood is pretty horizontal not heading down hill like Kirk would have to do. The cowl itself is what slopes down to the hood. Totally different look.

My point about Bluto is not that he has an opinion (and probably a very informed one) or that I don't agree with it it is how he states it. I have no problem with guys making suggestions on how someone can improve a build I think it is great but I tend to find his approach is not very constructive until someone make a comment. Why not explain his thoughts right from the start (which I think he eventually conveyed very well) rather than make rhinoplasty comments which are not very helpful.

Attached Files:

29. Maybe you could make the opening a skull? The eyes could be the head lights.

30. How about framing the general shape- round at the top and flat(ish) at the bottom of the opening?

Attached Files: