Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sedan with a Keg

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mink, Feb 9, 2009.

1. mink

mink
    from CT

Anyone use a full size keg in the back of their 30's sedan?? From what I have seen it only trucks using them in the back of the bed. Well how about slim 1/4 kegs?? Any pictures

2. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Styling-wise, the only way to pull off a keg inside your car is to put a VCR next to it showing a constant loop of "take this job & shove it". At that point the who-shot-JR vibe will start getting so heavy the keg becomes part of the motif.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I had a 30's sedan I'd put a seat back there.

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And a no smoking sign? Really, bud, a bad idea having the gas in the pax compartment. Gary

5. mink

mink
    from CT

Im not talking about in the car. I think a slim quart keg might fit under the body in the rear

[​IMG]

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

You need a full size keg? How far you going? I usually only need a 6 pack or a case at worst for any of my trips?

7. BISHOP

BISHOP

The ride hight is perfect for a full size keg, or a 55 gallon drum.

8. mink

mink
    from CT

Still unsafe? Bishop how about a smaller steel oil drum

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

well if you are going to put a keg back there don't forget the giant ice bucket.

10. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

How bout anything you put back there is just gonna end up looking like a saggy diaper with a big steamy load because of the fit between the body & frame. And the fact it's all presented at eye level.

Seriously man, cut the frame and trim the body til it fits right, then you'll have enough covering the edges to use a tank behind the axle

11. mink

mink
    from CT

even a slim 1/4 keg??

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Visualization isn't your thing, is it?

Good luck with the project, I know from past posts you've worked real hard to get there without much real-world help. You're on the wrong track with this idea, just the honest opinion of me and apparently everyone else.

13. mink

mink
    from CT

14. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a nice quarter drum, with the steel rolling straps on heat shrunk to the sides. provides additional support when the air bags blow out.

15. Sit down for this one. It's going to floor you.

Why not just run a stock fuel tank?

Holy shit. Sometimes I amaze myself. I'm worn out now. Gotta go lay down....

JH

16. mink

mink
    from CT

Tehe he he now you guys are just a bunch of joksters...

17. There are too many hillbilly hotrods already on the road. You must be looking at Rebel Rodz magazines. Take your time. Save money. Learn proper building and design skills then start your project. Buy the RIGHT parts after you get the money to do the job right. Then you won't have people shaking their head every time they look at your pride and joy and saying "What in the hell was this guy thinking?" Hope this isn't too rough for you but you asked for opinions and your getting them.

18. Seriously man, it looks like you have a pretty nice car going there. Don't booger it up with a bunch of "shock rod" accessories.

I'd find a stock tank & run it if possible.

Keep us posted.

JH

19. mink

mink
    from CT

If i was loaded as you i would , but im on a budget and thought maybe i could do something differently yet safe . But instead i let you guy shit on me some more.

20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

and you just don't get it :)

21. I'm flat broke man.

That has nothing to do with the fact that an ad in the classifieds here & $100 would probably turn up a tank that was salvageable though.

Hell, I'll place the ad for you. Just give me the word.

JH

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I had a beautiful stainless steel tank made for my car, to fit between the frame rails. It wasn't expensive, doesn't look like an afterthought, and nobody makes fun of my mullet now...

23. mink

mink
    from CT

Cutting the crap. How does the stock tank fit in there. This would be a first build obvoiusly. Do i have to run a a stock tank, what else works

24. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Being broke is no excuse for bad taste.

25. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

For what most kegs are worth deposit-wise, you can buy a tank liner kit and make your own out of reasonably rigid sheetmetal. The liner will help make up for pinholed welds.

Now the sky's the limit for tank size & placement.

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

How about a shitload of Gerry cans....

[​IMG]

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Seriously, a beer keg is the last thing in the world to use for a gas tank, unless you're building something that looks like Peterbuilt tractor. You can get a Model T style tank, oval, round, nice beads rolled in, ready to go, for a couple hundred bucks. Speedway sells spun aluminum tanks in a variety of sizes if you have to have a round alum. tank. You can scour ebay for a used tank, or the classifieds here, and come up with one. You have plenty of room under that :)eek:) for a tank behind the axle, or a Duece tank out back. Lots classier ways than a keg inside, which would be pretty cheesy. Sorry, it's just odd. You asked for opinions...

28. What is that car? '32 Chevy?

I don't know exactly how it fits but I do know that a stock tank fits. Unless you've done something crazy with the suspension, a stock tank is probably your best bet........or as flynbrian48 recommended, make one that fits the space you have.

If you're set on something other than stock, perhaps something here would fit: http://www.thehotrodcompany.com/shopnow/show_dept.asp?dept_id=78

JH

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  29. mink

mink
    from CT

Ya its a 32. Wander the original tank was held in by strapes?? If i found one with a rusted inside surface should i let it pass???

30. There have been posts here on cleaning an old tank out (using various mixtures of toxic crap) & sealing it for future use.

I typically use muratic acid & follow with a good tank sealer. If the tank isn't rusted though (& some will argue that even if it is) it can ususally be saved.

JH