Register now to get rid of these ads!

What the hell did you guys do to me ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry67, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Kerry67

Kerry67

What the hell happened ? When I started coming to this site I was all about GTO's, Camaro's and muscle cars. Now, a few years later I go to car show and could care less about them. Granted I still like them but there are so f**king many of them it gets to be the same old stuff, car after car. Now I love the old rods, flaked shit, primered shit, and stuff I never would have looked at twice in the old days. I don't even subscribe to Hot Rod or Car Craft anymore........It's all good though. The people into the old rods don't care how your car looks so much unlike the muscle car crowd that if it is not perfect, it is a piece of shit. Who cars if there is primer, filler, some rust, etc...........Just enjoy what you got.

2. 067chevy

067chevy

Just like me. It used to be 67 Chevelle's was all I thought about and then.

3. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

um,,,:confused: there are just as many of not more Traditional rods,Sleds,ratz..if someone has changed how you think well sorry to hear that. Hi hello,,all these new found rods you speak of are even more copies of the other. Maybe it is a feeling of being with the cool crowd ? acceptance ?? love cars,,all of them for what they are,,there advances and what you can create out of them. Not to be an ass but from what Im reading ( or the way you said it ) just sounds like you bailed on what you liked just to be with the cool kids nothing wrong with those other cars,,they are the evolution of the older ones JM2C

Attached Files:

4. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

It gets worse. Its only the begining.:)

5. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I stumbled in herefrom building and driving road racing cars in SCCA and Midwestern council, that was a big change.

6. You simply found gearhead etopia! I would like to think that all cars are created equal and all have thier upsides and downsides but through it all we are one.........

7. kman1932

kman1932

I know where you're coming from. It happened to me 16 years; before the HAMB started. I got tired of the same old thing. All of judgemental jackasses out there criticizing all of the overrestored muscle cars . I longed for plain simple hot rods that I grew up with, something I could get in and drive and enjoy.

8. Kerry67

Kerry67

Actually, I got tired of the muscle car crowd that shunned anything that was not perfect. Who give a fuck if it does not have the correct amount of overspray on the rear wheel wells, or the fact that a bolt or something is not original ??? Did not bail on them, just got tired of seeing a million Chevelles and Camaros.

Not trying to be cool, just stating that I opened my eyes to something I did not before and found out I really enjoy it.

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Your taste matured :D Embrace it. It gets worse before it gets better. And as you slowly give in to the dark embrace, you'll find a newfound, different kind of respect for those muscle cars.

Or you may just never give a damn again. Either way, good for you:)

10. H3O

H3O

shoot all i see is first gen camaros down here and all the muscle cars with the same engine as the guy next to him. i like how different hot rods are from each other. most of the time they don't have the standard 350/350 combo thank goodness!! it's boring and tiring. i know what you mean. hot rods forever!!!

11. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Once you've seen one camaro you've seen em' all. not so with hotrods.

12. roddinron

roddinron

I grew up in the muscle car era when they were brand new and everyone was panting over them, but though I liked them, they never had the same affect on me as hot rods. I guess I just don't really think anything built on an assembly line is cool. As far as many of the muscle car restorers, they just seem to be vette guy wannabe's to me, "do the numbers match?", a little too uptight for me. But to each his own.

13. Kerry67

Kerry67

Exactally.

14. sum'n wrong witchu, boy. Might wanna rush out and buy a copy of "Mustang Restorer" magazine to regain your "sanity"...
    Orrrrr....just ride along with us and enjoy the ride. We're a LOT less strict and anal.

15. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Me too.... I still have my '70 Challenger but I since I've gotten into hot rods I don't get the same enjoyment out of working on it as I do the 50's and earlier stuff.

Definately an addiction!!

16. Da Injun

Da Injun

Hell yeah...like what you like. Don't let others change that....musclecars yesterday, traditional rods today.....what tomorrow? Whatever is "in"?

17. JohnShaft

JohnShaft
    from Tejas

"What the hell did you guys do to me ???"

Oh...um...sorry man. I must have been sleep walking and thought you were my wife. Yeah, that must have been it.

18. I've been into Mustangs & Fords since I started driving.(the late 60's).
    I've had lots of them. Not sure when the rod bug bit me. American Graffitti maybe.
    My first real hot rod was a 1940 Ford coupe with a hipo 289 and T10 4 speed- Basically a 1940 GT 350.
    I agree. The muscle cars are pretty boring. I even see the see the stock Mustangs that way now. Some of those conourse guys are such dXXk heads too. I did have a '66 Shelby GT 350H that was really pretty cool. Semi rare. I miss it but my 40 Merc is a lot of fun. Even tho it has the 350/350 syndrom. A nice 347blue oval with a 5 speed would be nice.

19. Amen bro:)

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Build a car for yourself, don't worry about what we do, and you'll be a lot happier. "In the day" people did it for themselves. For anybody to suggest that (now) the rules should be different is....???? :D

?????

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  21. oz40

oz40

Welcome to the real world, and hang on for the ride of your life,
    Because its all great and great people that go with our life style.
    oz40 (Tom)

22. We have the Car Craft Chevy Nationals here in Minnesota every July. I was in it one year with my 66 Mustang. I had fun but that was enough. Back to the 50's Is car Nirvana.

23. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I like them all, Trucks, Muscle Cars, hot rods, customs. I can't say one is better than the other seeing is how they are all in different classes.

24. Here in central MO, all I see at the local shows are muscle cars this and muscle cars that. Only now(!!), they let in the newer cars like 80's Mustangs & Dodges, the freakin rice burners from the late 80s/early 90s, and the like. It SUCKS!
    I've always been around old cars and I actually grew up loving old 70's Vettes and then worked my backward to Mustangs. My fave Stang is a 66 hardtop. However, after getting a little older and being taught the "way of the hotrod", I have found the error of my ways. I love my 28 coupe and would have it no other way. :cool:
    One of the funniest moments from a local show last summer: a punk kid with his two-toned (white faded paint/grey primer) CRX piece-o-crap (yes they allow those at the car show as well) was parked not more than 3 spaces away from my coupe. It was the first time I had taken it to a show. I was soooo excited! He didn't have much under his hood because all it sounded like was chainsaw in a tube (stupid pipes didn't make it sound any better). Anyway, someone came up and asked me to start up my coupe. There were several of his friends around his car. When I started up my lil' ole' 283 SBC w/ 4 barrels and open headers, the kid looked at me like I was crazy. He looked as though I had stolen his precious little popularity crown. All eyes turned to my coupe and when folks saw that a girl was behind the wheel.....well let's just say that the kid wasn't too happy. He scowled at me the whole show. It was great!
    Now, I don't too much about cars, engines, etc but I do know a real ride when I see one. And I had the real ride that day!
    Don't get me wrong though, I will always love muscle cars but there's something about an old hotrod that makes me......mmmm....oops excuse me for a moment!:eek::D

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That pretty well sums it up. I passed through the muscle car stage while they were still new cars. To me a line of restored muscle cars looks too much like the 60's an 70's used car lots we used to check out on a regular basis and I still see them as "late model cars".

It is entertaining to go to one of the "Mustang" shows and watch the faithful follow the Mustang guru around as he points out the various chalk marks in the "correct" places on the cars though.

Somewhere right now there is probably some guy with the 69 Cutlass I special ordered with 310hp 350, Muncie close box, 3.4 posi and am/fm multiplex radio hunting for the "correct hose clamps" to replace the ones I threw away the day my first born was born after I blew a radiator hose on the way home the night before. He will never figure out that the two holes in the firewall were for an under dash air conditioner to cool it off in Aug 69 In Texas.

I think the main thing is that sameness equals boring. Remembering going to the street rod nationals in Tulsa in 1973 I soon got bored with black resto-rod 32 Ford fivewindows with the same wheel/tire combo on 50 percent of them. After the first three or four you hoped like hell that the guy with the next one in line had at least done something different.

26. 61TBird

61TBird

Who needs an argument over "correct" paint dabs,chalk marks,runs/orange peel in the paint and date codes???
    Too many of "those guys" ruined it for me.

27. I never cared about the numbers matching thing. When I was 20, I had a real '69 GT Mustang, not a Mach 1, not a base Mustang with stickers,, but a real GT. Did that keep me from pulling the 351W 4v and stabbing in a 460? Nope. I did what I'm doing right now: I am building for myself, not everyone else. I did fall into the building to impress everyone else with my last '57, with the high dollar stroker motor, aluminum heads etc. No more. I build for myself again, if you, my dad, the HAMB, etc don't like it, oh well. The sun will still rise in the east and set in the west, and I will still enjoy building and driving my mild gasser '57. If its not as fast as another car, I can move on to the next race.
    Satan, I dont see how opening ones eyes to another facet of our hobby is being a sheep and trying to hang with the "cool kids". I did my thing in muscle cars, old trucks, late model Mustangs, and came full circle back to my 50's cars roots. Not because I wanted to hang with someone who thinks they are cool, but because I enjoy the fellowship of like minded people. I dont hang with the ricer crowd, because I laugh at them. I dont hang with the "kulture" crowd and their goofy hair and outfits, because, same reason, I cant look at them without laughing. I enjoy the crowd that builds something because they want it, regardless of what someone else thinks is cool. I like the traditional rod scene, I like the fast street car scene, I like the musclecar scene. I dont like the cliques within each group that truly believe they are THE authority as to what is cool, who is cool, and who is jumping on what bandwagon.
    My point is, who cares what other department he came from, so long as he is a productive member now that he's here.

28. Black '32 roadsters with flatheads, red wheels, '46 caps and wide white Firestones will never get old hat like '65 Mustang convertibles and '57 Chevys...:rolleyes:

I like the creativity of each hot rod and custom being different and a diferent interpretation of what the builderthinks it should be.

I hope there is never such a thing as the perfect hot rod.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  29. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

Im only 19 but since the beginning a 69' Z28 was god to me...after a year or so here and reading magazines,hitting up as many shows as time will allow I could care less about any of that.I mean they are still gorgeous to me but compared to an ol' T thats been chopped just right in Satin black and im drooling like im 2!! i have been "Altered" hahaa

30. One thing about the whole car hobby thing or motorcycles or any of that kind of thing like that is the people. Are they just normal real motorheads or ego driven asxholes. That's what sours it for me. When I was in the local Mustang club and didn't have a
    cool Mustang certain members won't give you the time of day but when I finished restoring my Hertz Shelby I was like a rock star or something. I was one of the "elite". What a crock. When I some of the "stang guys found out I was going to sel the car they about crapped. Why would you do that??? So I can buty a street rod and have some real fun.
    I guess I like about anything. It's the people that make it.