Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage W o w @ k c mo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Road Kill PU, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Is there going to be a meet and greet at the Kansas City World of Wheels at the end of February? I'll be there and was just wondering.
    Later,
    Dick:)

2. MILNR

MILNR

I'll have the coupe there. I've heard they are turning cars away...they are max'd out. That's encouraging to see that the interest and cars registered hasn't dropped with the economy.

Look me up at the show...

3. BinderRod

BinderRod

What are the dates of the show?

4. ThunderRoad Garage

ThunderRoad Garage
    from missouri

february 27 to march 1st.

5. BinderRod

BinderRod

Thanks, Looks like I know where I will be on the 29th

6. hvychvy

hvychvy

Damn Dick,who would want to hang out with you?:DI'd be there if I was a little closer,see ya in may :)Dustin

7. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

Just FYI, we (los PUNK RODS) had a pre-party show last year at the Record Bar, but this year we elected to not do it because of the costs. It was a money loser for us. It was a great time to meet a bunch of you and to let you know, this year's spaces are all sold out! We are looking forward to some great representation this year from the Midwest in the "Extreme" section sponsored by Ol' Skool Rodz (Show promoters name not ours!!!) Here is a post that Punk Rod Todd put out a couple weeks ago on some of the details for you:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>The end of this month feb27-mar 1 World of Wheels "ol'skool rodz" section-

Handmade pick trophys built by Los Punk Rods, also they have added class awards for this special section as well(best roadster,coupe,ect... built by Punkrod Todd)

exhibitors get a bichin' cast club style plaque, and a copy of I.S.C.A.s resurrected"Hot Rod Show World" slick show program/magazine
    live music: fri; the Rumblejetts
    sat; Jessee Dayton
    sun; King King
    featured"spirit of the 60's show cars"
    cool vendors: High Octaine, from TX.... Vintage Torque.. Koolhouse publishing... jimmy flintstone...los PUNK RODS/Greaserama
    SPECIAL WORLD OF WHEELS RATE AT RADDISON HOTEL ACROSS THE STREET ONLY UNTIL FEB 11 check out worldofwheels.com Lots of new rods and Kustoms! lots more bikes! 3 bands! the cure for cabin fever! see ya there!!!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

8. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

If I still lived in KC, I'd be there. I've been to every W.O.W. in KC since I was about 6 months old until I moved to Texas three years ago. Maybe I'll make it up next year if I can afford it. Take lots of photos and post 'em.

9. I know- I have to tie a bone around my neck to get my dog to come to me. Oh well!
    Later,

10. My sediments exactly - post pics! Left Cowtown last year for a better gig in Omaha, had my T-bird in it '03-'07 with the Vintage Thunderbirds of Kansas City. This year will display WOW in Omaha a few weeks later.

11. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

hmm...i smell roadtrip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Does that mean that you will be there? Look me up if you are there. My old truck will be in the Extreme section where ever that is.
    Later,

13. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

well shit...that saturday night, i will be in our restaurant, pulling out all of the old carpet so my carpet guy earl, can start layin the new carpet on sunday!:mad: me and the boys have been plannin a trip to kc before my farm season starts, and this would have been perfect!:mad:
    be sure and tell me how nice it looks when ya come up for the rust revival!!!ugg!

14. DAMN IT !:eek:
    See you in May. Hopefully nobody will ruin the new carpet before we get to in May.:eek:
    Later,

15. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

yeah, we will be shut down from that sunday thur weds...so thursday, im sure there will be a huge rain and everyone will track mud in!!!!LOL

16. going to try to come up on friday if i can hope to see you there see ya travis

17. I'll be there. Hope to see you. See if you can drag Mick and Dick along.
    Later,

18. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

be sure to stop by and see us at the World of Wheels - not sure where I will be but I will be the guy selling all the Rat FInk shirts and the hot rod DVDs - I will play the Vintage Torque DVD over and over again on 1 of the TVs so you can see the quality of the video is MUCH better in person than on the silly Youtube......

stop by and say hey - I have not been to the indoor show there in KC in 2 years.......lets hope my car doesnt get broken into this time!

seeya there

19. well not going to make it friday and have something planned for saturday the plant shut down thursday and making us work friday had something to do with brakes not working and the throttles on the school buses sticking lolol anyway ill catch you sometime dick thanks travis

20. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

DISCLAIMER: The old saying "opinions are like a certain part of the body - Everyones got one" should be considered when reading this.
    I am not lumping entire categories of people in with what I observed - but I am telling the facts of this case. Bottom line - if you got a problem - I will be more than happy to explain it to ya in person at one of the MANY shows I go to across the country.

Kansas City World of Wheels show was the last weekend in February and it was a BIG gathering of traditional hot rods along with all the normal indoor car show fare. Los Punk Rods were in charge of getting all the different cars and car clubs set up in the "extreme" section of the show.
    They did an amazing job and we hope that this will grow even more next year. For those of you not in the know....Los Punk Rods also put on one of the coolest car shows in the midwest - Greaserama that is held at the Boulevard Drive In Theater in Kansas City every Labor Day weekend. Last year
    Two Lane Blacktop was shown and all had a good time. The video segment from this show will be on the upcoming Vintage Torque DVD so be on the lookout for that.

Major indoor shows take a minimum of three days to fully set up. All major sponsors and big displays have to be there on Tuesday or Wednesday, and Thursday sees all the small vendors and cars/motorcycles fill in the rest of the building.
    So if it takes at least two days to fill in the show - why would people expect to be out of the show 15 minutes after the show ends? I go all over the country doing hot rod shows and some are better than others. Each show is laid out in different ways. This Kansas City show was held at Bartle Hall in downtown KC.

The floor plan this year was planned in such a way that there were only 2 exits - one on the South and another on the West side.
    So when it came time for everyone to finally leave there were only 2 single row exits that the cars could exit from. One can imagine the tension that was in the room - everyone was ready to go and the show was open until 8pm instead of the 7pm that was listed on the exhibitor tickets. The anticipation for the opening of the doors was felt by everyone in the hall.

The extreme section of the show which features the cars that were driven in and out (NO TRAILERS) were the cars that were closest to the South exit. They emptied out in a matter of 10 minutes. After that, came show cars that were smart enough to have trailers parked outside the hall. After about 5 minutes the South exit saw an abrupt halt in exiting cars. It seems a '68 Javelin
    had a minor breakdown while in the exit line - blocking all the cars behind him.
    Now I dont know about you....but if someone is in my way when I am trying to get out of some place, I am going to do whatever I can to speed up the process of getting OUT. So if I see some car in front of me break down - I am gonna get out of my car to push the broken guy outta the way. I may or may not help him from that point depending on the expertise level that is needed to get the car up and runnning again. BUT - if I want out of this
    situation I have to get the car in front of me out of the way right?

Well the cars that were behind the Javelin were the Corvettes, classic Muscle, Mustangs etc. Javelin Guy gets out of his car and is asking around for help. No one helps! He keeps asking and finally finds someone that works for the show - they pointed him in the direction of the traditional rod section of the show. There were only a handful of these guys still there since most had driven out.
    When Javelin Guy told some of the guys what had happened, all of them dropped what they were doing and walked down to the other section of the hall and pushed the car half way across the hall so that the rest of the cars that were still there waiting could go. J.R. Dinges and company proceeded to work on the car to get it running. J.R. of The Boneheads C.C. was helping with the alternator while the guys from Hot Shoe Enterprises took the battery out of their own winch to see if that could help the Javelin.
    Ultimately the help that these traditional hot rodders gave to Javelin Guy got him up and running again.

This is why I enjoy this community of the car culture. The traditional hot rodders are willing to help ANY car owners that are in need of attention. Perhaps this is because this group know about the origins of hot rodding. They know about the times when hot rodding was seen as a menace to society and that only by cleaning up their own behavior would they be able to grow this hobby to what it is today. One of the ways they cleaned up their image was to help cars that were in need.
    This same guiding principle is still adhered to by this community.
    I know that some people attending as fans or guys showing their high dollar cars with $10,000 paint jobs don't appreciate seeing cars that are in bare metal or primer. I could overhear the "rat rod" and "when are you gonna finish it" comments all weekend long and for those that are uneducated what can really be said to combat this mentality? Who knows.....but let's hope that all the people out there know that the guys that can't necessarily afford a high dollar paint job might just have more car knowledge than that accountant down at the other end of the hall that wrote a check to get his Chevelle on the road.

The moral of this little story is that the traditional hot rodders are, for the most part, a little easier going and from what I just experienced this weekend, more willing to HELP in a difficult situation. I guess the guys in the show cars that were just sitting waiting for Javelin Guy to get out of the way were afraid of getting their hands dirty or worse, too concerned with "me me me". Whatever the case, I am happy to be associated with the real hot rodding movement cause to me their cars are not just the coolest........the drivers are the coolest as well.

Seeya in Detroit for the Autorama - we will have a booth over by the Toy Section on the main floor as well as a booth downstairs that will be showing the preview of our DVDs - so stop by and say hey!