Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 chevy motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fandangler, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Will a 55 Chevy 235 car motor fit directly into 54 car or are the motor mounts different and what else is different?

thanks guys

2. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

Should be pretty much the same up to 62 I believe. My 58 235 has the same side mount locations as my 54 (Although the 58 was a front mount truck)

3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

No, Yes, the water pump is longer as well.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There are adapters available to mount the earlier water pumps to the 55-62 motors.

5. dbradley

dbradley

Flywheel, starter changed when it went to 12V system but the pair will interchange. So you can use the "old" flywheel/starter on the '55 engine (if you're staying with 6V system)

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The motor mount bosses on '55-'57 engines are way forward of where they are on '53-'54 blocks. You'd be better off to find a '58-'62 engine; while the motor mount holes on those blocks have a different bolt pattern than your '54, they're in the same area. I put a '58 in my '53 by making some adapter plates from steel plate and welding them to the original mount brackets.

7. Do you have any pics you could post Heathen? Also wondering if the old bellhousing, flywheel, 3 speed tranny, etc that I have now will fit on say like a 58 or 59 motor? Thanks for the help guys!

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the adapters. Yes, your current flywheel/clutch/bell housing will work. Just don't try to mix and match 6V and 12V parts. The '55 and newer 12V flywheels have a different tooth count. The '54 flywheel is nice, since it's the last year of 6V but takes a 10 inch clutch as opposed to the 9 1/8 inch clutch that the earlier flywheels are drilled for.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

One more thing to think about with water pumps on this deal. The early pump can be adapted to the late block, but ends up turning to fast and cavatating. Better way to go is with a modified late pump from Patrick's in Casa Grande Az. Shortens it up and works correctly, and not that expensive. Patrick catalogue is a great source of info for the swap you are contemplating, and he's one hell of anice guy.

(520-836-1117) or www.patricksantiquecars.com

10. Snarl

Snarl

When you go with the older style pump, you are also supposed to use the Damper from the same source as the pump. Then it turns the speed it's supposed to.

11. Snarl

Snarl

You can also buy mounts ready to go from Tom Langdon.

Your '54 bell,flywheel,starter,etc.. will work on any 235 or 261.