Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is there any interest in rodding a 31 Pontiac coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, Feb 3, 2009.

1. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Hell, I'd trade for just about anything in YOUR shop Bruce. Trouble is, I'd have to throw in my house, cars, savings, kids, etc to make up the difference. :D

2. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

why would anyone building a car for themselves give a rats behind if it is popular w/ mainstream rodders. mainstream just means you build what everyone else builds. if a hot rodder wouldnt buy that car to build because its not popular is not only not much of hot rodder but is also an idiot!:rolleyes:

3. GlenC

GlenC

455 Pontiac, auto, leave the body completely stock and paint it black, steelies with moons and dress rims and a sub machine gun in a violin case on the package tray, what more could you ask for? (Apart from maybe a pinstripe suit and a fedora to wear while cruising in it)

Cheers, Glen.

4. hell yeah , if only one could find a Hemi for it:D up for sale yet??

5. Greezer

Greezer
    from Arnold MO

Any car is worthy of being Hot Rodded....that Poncho looks like a prime candidate...Go for it.

6. I am in a similar boat, I want to rod my 30' pontiac coupe , but it was in such good shape I have a hard time making that first cut.
    I want to upgrade the engine (455 pontiac ) and suspension , but retain the "pontiac feel" , if that makes sense to anyone?

[​IMG]

No chop planned, just clean up, reassemble and drive

[​IMG]

7. thunderplex

thunderplex

Stick in a 389 V8 or a Pontiac 4 cyl (1/2 of a 389) with a 4 bbl intake. Run Pontiac 8 lug wheels, ...now were talking!!!

8. Dic, I'm with you on the solidness and originality of the my 1930 Pontiac coupe as well, but man, these concepts from our other thread still has me drooling. I think the fendered car is sharp and the fenderless is really sharp! Though the 1930 was a three window and the 1931 is a five window, I think both years would look equally awesome with either of these treatments. Now, I must add, please don't cut up a nice original body:D I know-I want it boths ways. Rick

9. Sorry forgot to add the pics:rolleyes: Rick

Attached Files:

10. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Wow, that' beautiful. I just love photoshop.

11. tripleduece

tripleduece
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HELL YEAH! who wouldn't?!?!?!

12. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

again HELL YEA!, look at it its got all the stock goodies, good grille, fender lights, fenders, looks like the body is fixable, looks like a chevy body. They have a lotta wood as all GM cars before 36, but it can be replaced with new wood and steel. It looks restorable to me, which means you will have all the stock body, parts. Get a dropped axle from MAS, put discs on the front, camero rear end, and those springs are ok to use or they can be rebuilt. Just about any engine can be installed, but a later 292 chevy 6 banger with a 350 turbo trans and a pontiac valve cover [same basic engine design] You will have a great cruiser that you wont find at the local cruise night.

13. PoPo

PoPo

i'd ROD any of these, but they all look great even if left stock and redone. must be nice to have these just "sitting" around

14. Hey RR, I know we have had this conversation before, but as you can see, I'm still undecided...........Maybe if I had a second one, Say ....a 31' , then I could restore one and rod the other??..............dic

15. 389/421 4 speed. hell yeah, rod it

16. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Resto- ROD!!! :eek:That little Indian would be the berries as a bux-up style restoration that had few signs of the 455 lurking under the hood. Trips, of course.

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks man. I am still unsure about a few things and my expectations are pretty high so my nerves are on end right now.

18. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Kinda how I was thinking on this deal also, as solid as this car looks it would be much easier to have an extra parts car to hotrod.

If that were the case than a dual quad 370 or early 389 with a 55 dual range hydro and 57 Pontiac rear.

19. Is that a proposition?:rolleyes:

Hey I know a fella who started this thread that probably has a pretty nice '31 he would be willin' to get rid of.

But, hey, if it's botherin' you that much just bring that '30 down to me and you'll be sleepin' better in no time!

20. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

yea its a delimma on some of these cars, 'to rod or not to rod' but the early restorations arent highway friendly for these days. In order to have a rod, and a ride, a dependable ride, you havto modify it some. I have the the same problem with my 39 chevy as its pretty stock, with straight 6 and I used 4speed, 55 rear end , disc front brakes, 12 V, halogen bulbs, stock straight axle, the rest is stock. just want a dependable cruiser, but in an old car, that can go anywhere. If I wanted a fast car I would build a real racer from the ground up. Ya gotta go with what YOU really want.

21. I'd sure be interested in building a '31 Pontiac coupe if I had one, especially one as solid as yours looks. It's got nice lines, and it's a little roomier inside than the same year Ford coupes. Straight ladder frame looks like it would lend itself well to whatever drivetrain and suspension you want to hang on it. Don't have any experience with old Pontiacs, but my guess is that General Motors made a lot of stuff interchangeable across various GM makes when they could in order to cut costs, so I'd check to see what interchanges between Pontiac and Chevy on suspension stuff, spindles, etc. I know you can get a disc brake kit for older Chevy/GMC pickup straight axle spindles, would check to see if those Pontiac spindles are the same as Chevy/GMC pickup. Chassis Engineering makes mounts to put just about any engine and trans in almost any chassis, along with disc brake conversions, suspensions, etc. You'll probably have the only '31 Pontiac at the local cruise in. Ford man that I am, I like to see less common vehicles rodded.

22. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

My buddy Terry brought the car home and here new photos I took today. The car did not disappoint as it was removed from the barn. Very solid body. The rear window still rolls down. Some of the wood is coming apart but is mostly there. The visor is inside the car. Needs some new tires. I really like it.<center>
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    </center>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  23. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

more <center>
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    </center>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  24. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I forgot to take photos of the engine but it is complete and is seized up from sitting many years. Weird flathead 6 with 2 heads.

25. Very nice looking 31! It still is amazing to me that these early Pontiacs keep turning up in that solid condition. Seems mostly complete but I will tell you so you'll have the info-the headlights and taillights are not the correct ones. That and other than the bumpers are missing. Rear is actually bumperettes on each side so that there was an opening to clear the spare on the rear. But, still a fine car to start on if that's what you decide. Enjoy!

Rick

26. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

We do have the correct headlights and headlight bar and they are in good condition. Do not have the bumpers. Thanks for the compliment.

27. cretin

cretin

28. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Cool car, my vote is for lowered leave the fenders, hood, no sides, mild chop, poncho v8 power, 4 gear, pontiac rear and cheaters.
    Mat

29. Looks like someone started to rod it years ago and gave up. Now it's your turn to finish it. You got a good start, dig into it and make yourself proud.

30. dirybyrd

dirybyrd

please keep this post goin' with more pics as you go........can't wait to see what ya'll do with it.........