Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help id Holley Carb 6r-720 bakelite

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tenman76, Feb 7, 2009.

1. tenman76

tenman76

i have a holley 1 barrel carb with the only id numbers being 6r-720 and it has a white bakeliete bowl. im guessing its a model 1920 but not sure. Would love some help. i have pics but dont know how to post them here yet. I bought a lot of cool vintage stuff including this carb and some really cool wizzard horn i know nothing about. Thanks and happy hot rodding. Need to sell to finance the 28 coupe!

Attached Files:

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

yep..that's the rare 6r-720...but i don't think it will sell for enough to finance a 28 coupe.

3. tenman76

tenman76

lol i know its rare but that doesnt mean desirable or valuable. Just curious as to what it goes too. Almost done with the 28. Just picked up a 35? chevy grill and still need brake lines, fuel lines, fuel tank, headers, wiring, and floor sheetmetal. Getting close but no job doesnt help. Selling and sold everything but my baby!!! Tons of old stuff on Egay now. I cant believe what A doors bring now!!!!

4. GTS225

GTS225

That looks to me like it might be a 1904 rather than a 1920. Second pic, left side of the fuel bowl. Flat spot on the forward-facing surface next to the fuel inlet fitting, there should be a list number. It might be stamped a little on the light side, so be carefull how you clean that surface off.

Post the list number and I'll consult my OEM Holley manual.

Roger

5. tenman76

tenman76

Thanks Roger i dont see any numbers at all anywher other than the 6r-720 and they are cast not stamped.

6. GTS225

GTS225

Hate to give you bad news, but that "6r-720" number is typical for a Holley component part number. As far as I know, Holley used a list number as a referance for applications, and the guide I have is printed for that. Without a list number, I know of no way to tell you what it was oiginally installed on.
    I can tell you that most 1904's were put on mid-late 50's Ford sixes, but were also on some late 50's- very early 60's I.H. fours and AMC/Rambler sixes to a lesser extent.

What's your plans for the carb? I might be interested in it, if only for the bowl as a conversation piece.

Roger

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  7. tenman76

tenman76

im thinkin it may be a 54 ford since the guy i bought this stuff from had one. Kind of cool with the white bakelite bowl. Ill probably sell or trade it. What do you have?

8. GTS225

GTS225

That would be about right. '53 or '54 was the first year they started using them, from what info I can dig up.
    I really don't have much of anything for trading stock. Most of what I round up is for specific projects, and I'm rather partial to the slant six Mopar engine, so really don't have anything along the lines of vintage Ford parts.
    I do have some cash, though.

Roger

9. tenman76

tenman76

make me an offer

10. carbking

carbking

The bowl should be perfectly clear.

As Roger stated in his first post, the "list" number should be on the "boss" for the fuel inlet.

Assemble a pencil eraser, a strong light, a magnifying glass, and most importantly and no offense, a pair of "young eyes".

Turn the carb so it matches the second picture (you will be able to read the word "Holley" on the bowl.

Now look at the side you can see of the "boss" for the fuel inlet. Use the pencil eraser if necessary. The "young eyes", using the magnifying glass, should see the numbers.

If Ford, you will see something like:

B7A-9510-A
    List R-876-AAS

If I.H.C. the format will be something like:

123456R91
    List R-123-1A

You can see that with so many numbers on such a small boss, they will be TINY.

Good luck.

Jon.

11. GTS225

GTS225

Carbking.....he claims it's a bakelite bowl, not the glass "Vis-A-Bowl", so it shouldn't be clear. I had my doubts, too, but a look at the front-on pic shows something different going on. I have no idea what that little wing-nut type thing is on the bowl, but......

Tenman.....I don't usually do a make offer thing, but I'll offer you $40 and shipping for the carb, as long as you do an good job of packaging. I had UPS break a vis-a-bowl on it's way to me, once.

Roger

12. R Pope

R Pope

That wingnut thingie could be a fuel supply bung for a South Winds heater.
    Lots of old Fords had 'em dealer installed up here on the tundra.

13. GTS225

GTS225

Tenman......did you miss my offer?

Roger

14. 13holland13

13holland13

I believe I own this holley with the bakelite bowl. I look foward to rebuilding it. I just finished rebuilding a regular 1904 and it works perfectly. After this one I will be looking for a 1904 with the glass bowl and an offy 3-carb intake for my 223 where I will place all 3 of my holley 1bbls. Wish me luck guys!