Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moon Tach problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t6ford, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Hey All , I have a moon tach installed in my '53 F100 (runs 400 ford with elec ignition).
    Tach is approx 6 months old, Wired correctly etc and has decided that now
    it dosent want to work.

I have double checked wiring/earth etc and still it is no good. I guess next step
    is I remove tach and have a look see inside it ...

Has anyone else had similar probs with one of these?

2. Was it made in Mexico ?

3. I can't be sure where it was made, A friend bought it in the USA and I got it from him when he returned to NZ ,

4. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Its not the same moon quality from years ago, enough said.

5. I went through two moon tachs in 4 months the first lasted about 3 of those four months and the second lasted about a month. They were both the 120 Deg. swing 8000 rpm version. I paid for both of them as the first was "out of warranty" and in the end I threw both of them in the trash and haven't bought a Moon product since. I don't know about their other products but their tachs aren't worth the price of a pack of smokes.

Jaysin

6. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

i have one of those for my car, it wasnt cheap to get it in australia, a mate recently bougt one and the needle fell of before he used it.
    now i am wondering if i should drill holes to fit it, or are they disposable.

7. Muttley

Muttley

Unfortunately the only thing Mooneyes shares with the old Moon Equipment Co. is the logo/location. The stuff they offer in their catalog (with a few exceptions) is either cheap crap or lame bolt on do-dads. If you ever get a chance to look through an old Moon catalog you wouldnt believe all the cool stuff they used to manufacture/sell. Dean Moon is probably spinning in his grave knowing whats become of that company.

8. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

moon stands behind everything they sell. send it back they WILL make it right.

9. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

10. hhmmm, general concensus here is what I was wondering (the tach is junk!)
    I figure I have nothing to loose by opening it up and having a look.
    Will post the results!

11. I bought one a year ago.Just recently got around to putting it in. It is brand new and doesn't work.Checked the wiring.Must be true,they are junk!

12. Well I spent almost an hour this morning trying to get the worthless pile of crap open, Lets just say that if the internals performed as well as the "glue" that holds it together it would probably function well. I had no luck with getting it open so offered it to my 8 year old son to screw on his go-kart. His reply , " nah, its just junk!"

pecker head likes this.
  13. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Smart kid. You could learn a thing or two from him.:D

pecker head likes this.
  14. Adam D.

Adam D.

Had a moon tach in my car, and everytime my hand nudged the tach, it decided to not work for the rest of the day, then the next morning, it would be gine..... ps..... the housing was also scratched up when I pulled it from the box :confused:

15. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Mine is junk too. After 2 years, the needle jumped all over the place when motor was reved over 5 grand. I got an Auto Meter to replace it. Although it is not nostalgic looking , at least it works fine....

16. anyone have a newer moon tach that works? i dig the retro look and am kinda still thinking about getting one. are there any other options? don't really want to throw down $ for a vintage tach.

17. OCTANE ORPHAN

OCTANE ORPHAN
    from Ohio

You said your tach is wired correctly so this may not apply but..... I had a new one in my roadster and it worked fine through about a dozen good burnouts then one night I peged it and it stoped working. After reading the install instructions (for the first time!) I found out that I needed a tach box. I just wired mine to the coil. Other than that, it worked fine untill i cooked it! Hammer Hank

18. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The one in my truck has been workin' fine since 2005, and I haven't been too gentle to it. It's been in three different vehicles including my truck.

19. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I bought a couple tachs from Chico about 5 yrs ago and they still work fine
    no box required

20. metalman

metalman

I've never had a problem with them but then I'm still using my stash of Moon gauges made by Classic 13/14 years ago. Bought up a bunch when I heard Moon was going to start having VDO build them, always had bad luck with VDO. Somewhere I heard Moon was going back to Classic, maybe they were having quality issues with VDO?

21. gasshole

gasshole
    from new jersey

Mine read about 700 rpms low and moved so slow it counldnt keep up with my combo in 1st or 2nd. JUNK!!!

Scott

22. man, i had a couple beers the other night and hit buy it now for a moon tach. it arrived today hope it works ok. it's gonna be rpm'n my 170 so it should be able to keep up.