Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cheap Alternative to Lowering Springs for '53 Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Feb 6, 2009.

1. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Are there springs from a different car that would lower the front end of a '53 Chevy Bel Air? Like something I can get at the local parts house that would be cheaper than lowering springs?

I used 3" blocks in the rear and am looking to lower the front about the same. I'd rather not cut the stock springs.

Thanks in advance for any and all help and/or suggestions. And thanks for this great forum.:)

2. cretin

cretin

i don't know about any springs you could change out, but if you are a good welder you could step your control arms.

3. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

4. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

5. That is funny funny stuff there...............whew!...........LOL.............still funny!

6. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

7. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I have an extra set of springs you could have, for cutting... just pay the shipping and they're yours

8. TERPU

TERPU

If you cut a coil and a half out it'll go down 3". Mine still rides and handles great, I'm thinkin' about going down more.

Tim

9. atomickustom

atomickustom

There really is a kit to lower the front of '49-54 Chevy cars. The spring plate is riveted to the bottom of the lower A-arms. You drill out the rivets, install a piece of square tubing (1" tubing gets you about 3" drop) between the plate and the A-arm, and bolt it all back together with grade-8 bolts and nylock nuts.

I can't find it on their website (no search function), but I bought just such a kit for my car 12 or so years ago from Night Prowlers (http://www.thenightprowlers.com/). Give them a call. It's cheap and it works well.

You get basically the same drop as cutting your springs, but the shocks remain at their normal position and the springs don't get stiffer (from being cut shorter) AND best of all you can always change your mind, take out the spacers, and bolt the spring mounts right back into their original position.

10. Taff

Taff

surely you could do that yourself? just need four lengths of tube? or am i missing something

11. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I'll look into this. Thanks everybody for the tips. Oilslinger, I appreciate the offer but if I was going to cut, I'd just cut mine. But thanks anyway for sure. I'm still curious if there's a substitue set of springs if anyone else knows.:cool:

12. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

13. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

14. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

What? The kit I showed you wasn't good enough? You don't cut springs, it is cheap, guarenteed to work, what else do you want? :D

15. Stink63

Stink63
    from coumbus,Oh

torch and a 6x6 wood block. Set block under front bumper, heat springs till bumper touches wood. Done.

16. atomickustom

atomickustom

And the best part is, your car will keep getting lower! In a year you'll be dragging the front bumper, unless the coils all stack up and lock up the travel before it gets that low.
    Cheap, easy? Yes. The best way to go? No.

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If you go to your local auto parts store and ask to see their new spring catalog you will find, in the back, the spring rates and designs of all the listed springs in charts. If you have the wire diameter and free height of your springs with you you may find a set with the same spring rate but shorter, and away you go. NEW springs run between $85 and $125 a pair. The catalog also lists new rear springs for those who have coils front and rear.

18. cretin

cretin

please DO NOT do this!