Register now to get rid of these ads!

History V8-60 History...Give it up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Jul 25, 2008.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

There has been some talk on other threads concerning V8-60 Wheels and axles and I was wondering if we can compile a list of things that set these cars apart from the rest of the models during those years. If you have pics please throw them up if it's going to help me or anybody else.

What were the years that it was offered?
    What was the Difference in the engine?
    Weight?
    Wheels?
    Horse Power?

Please school me on these elusive beasts!:D

[​IMG]

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thread Overboard!!!! Back to the top!

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'm going out on a limb and guess the factory HP rating at 60

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Odd stuff: Introduced in '35-6 via Ford England, thousands sold in all parts of Europe before 1937 intro here. There was a British Model 62 Ford, later produced by Matford, that was slightly down sized from USA Fords to make a better package for 60's.
    Earliest engines had completely different block with FOUR mains, poaitions of intake and exhaust valves reversed! VERY short run before the familiar model 52 "tinside" replaced it. I've actually seen one of thes early blocks, and V8 club published a bit of info.
    V860 carbs were sold in Ford parts counters a year BEFORE the 60 was released here, marketed as an econo carb for 85HP delivery vans...

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn it! Why the hell did I put that in there. Silly me.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Bruce, I am beginning to realize that you may be the smartest man on the HAMB. You always have so much insight to any question that we may have on here.

If only there was that was directly linked to your brain so that I can become an alliance member there too!:D

The Econocarb fact is a pretty cool tid bit. I wonder if those carbs were marked differently then the ones that followed after it's release in 1937.

Any idea why a Tube axle was chosen for the V8-60 platform as opposed to the I beam? That particular Axle is a desired part huh?

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The V8-60 axle has always been called that by rodders...I have a book with some info on its production included, and there's no evidence of use on 60's! So far, not total research, though. There is completely clear eividence of use on 85's, but only 60 use was leftover axles foing on the '40 60's which were made to use up leftover '38 engines...
    Some model 62 Fords got a different tube axle in England.
    Carb was the familiar common Stromberg 81, already used in Europe.
    I saw a bare early block in a French junkyard around 1970...it was startling. Absolutely clearly a Ford 60, but with everything wrong! I almost doubted my eyes. It was 30 years before I found any info on the thing.

8. 8flat

8flat

Bruce is like the wikipedia for hot rodding.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Keep it coming folks. I've had about 5 of these little critters follow me home and I'm collecting parts and information to put at least one of them to use.................most likely a one man modified.

Frank

10. Or, Bruceipedia.

11. Crestliner

Crestliner

I believe the French engine was in a Simca. I have what is suppose to be a 59 Simca engine and 4 speed columm shift trans.. A few parts will probably interchange, like heads and maybe exhaust manifolds. Believe the manifolds would let it breath better. Thinking about* trying them on my AV8-60 roadster.

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I remember seeing a Simca V8-60 style engine at a local swap meet. The exhaust manifolds were both rear exit and looked like Fenton cast headers would if they'd made them for V8-60s, and it had a conventional distributor in an 8BA type position.

13. Crestliner

Crestliner

Along with one water pump, bottom of bolt is different and uses the 8ba type bellhousing. Someone here on the HAMB stated they used the rotating assembly to make a stroker kit for the 60.

14. glmke

glmke

will i run a v8-60 with a stromberg 81 and have no idea what im doing.Just dumb luck that i bought the truck and thats what was in it.
    madeline 493.jpg

madeline 494.JPG

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

16. Zerk

Zerk

Talk about an international engine: The V8-60 went through a couple of transformations when it was produced by Simca in Brazil. It ended up with factory OHV Ardun-like heads in the 1960s or '70s.

17. Gemini EFI

Gemini EFI

Maybe not history, but crtainly the present. Recently finished for Don Konecny's Anglia convertible.
    Gemini EFI

Attached Files:

18. glmke

glmke

that is cool

19. glmke

glmke

I started a v8-60 social group if you guyes are interested.listed under :v8-60
    thought it would be a way to share info and ideas thanks

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The Simca (Simca bought out the remnants of Ford France/Matford) was based on the normal V8-60, with lots of development but I think little change to block casting. The 4-main 60 was early, end of 1935 and 1936, and I suspect had a very low run, maybe a few hundred, before the version we know as the 1937 replaced it. People on various forums have posted manifolds and gaskets...I've never seen a complete one. I was tempted to grab the one I saw, but it was an entirely bare block and could not possibly have been finished without finding a complete better one anyway. I suspect this model was probably recalled and replaced with later motors, as British catalogs show no parts for it. It came with electric fuel pump, by the way!

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

V8-60 research...there is very little out on this engine. Even 1930's Ford bulletins barely acknowledge its existence...
    What there is to find, beyond the obvious parts books:
    There is a new 60 manual recently published by a Ford barner
    the 1938-39 Ford resto book from the V8 club is a fountain of knowledge, even outside the stated years
    V8 times index will get you some useful stuff
    distrust all info...many books give you the 85 torque specs...which happen to coincide with about the stretch failure point of 60 rod bolts!

22. Crestliner

Crestliner

glmke, I'm to dumb to poat photos on you social. So here is my extras. Don't know if they will come out in right order.
    1- setting on floor, was told it was used on a carnival ride. Should run, want to try it this winter.
    2-this one setting on pallet rack is stuck, know nothing about it.
    3-60 and Simca witha 60 trans setting between. You can see alot of differences, mainly one water pump. dizzy location, and look at front of block and pan.
    4-Simca left front side, generator sits on side of engine.
    5- Note, exhaust manifolds, I would like to try them on mine. Look as if they would let the little engine breath easier. If you can see the bellhousing, its like a 8ba. The simca had a 4 speed columm shift.

I'll get a new one of my roadster later.

Attached Files:

23. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Rebuilt V8 60 soon to be back in....

Attached Files:

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

My first build was a 4-door 37 with a V8-60. It had an I-beam front axle. It was SO SLOW, that I think that's why it wasn't popular and phased out. Too bad I sold the engine to a street rodder and didn't save it for a midget racer. Note: At least the first owner properly used TWO front fog lights! Later, Gary

Attached Files:

25. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

V8 Sixties were an engine of choice for midget racers, ( and hydro racers) since the thirties, and were a great alternative to the way more expensive Offy. Because of that there was alot of racing equipment available, and there is still a pretty sizable group of guys with tons of sixty knowledge around in antique racing circles. If you take the time to network with them ,lots or real trick stuff is out there. In our area midget racers could run almost every night before TV, and there was a pretty good bunch of inovators around, guys like Harry Hull were famous for twin fire cranks, and manufactured their own speed equipment, lots of which is still around. (Have a couple of Mr. Hulls manifolds, and they are pretty neat, and totally different from one another.) These folks are pretty much unknown because all of the ink was on the west coast, but the info and stuff is out there for anyone who is interested.

26. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Wasn't the V860 used in the European Ford Vedette (Mercury lookalike) in the 50's?

27. I had a 1938 ford sedan that had the 60 with offey aluminum intake and toploader tranny. Loved the car it ran great. Did have to change leaky head gasket once.

28. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There are YouTube videos of the ARDUN-like Brazilian Simca Emi-Sul hemi-head V8-60 based engines.

29. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Here's a photo of the Harry Hull display motor, that's his motor mount too, done way before cnc was around...

Attached Files:

30. Spooky

Spooky

Okay, I am jumping in here.
    Is there anyone here with casting info? How does one determine the year of these engines?