Register now to get rid of these ads!

WINTER PROJECT: The Merc that everyone told me to throw away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CadillacKid, Feb 4, 2009.

1. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

keep it up brotha, bring another one back to life

2. Great job! Man I love those `55 Chev front fender openings on there. Adds a little character to those front fenders, very classy. Thanks for posting up the pics and showing that it's not how bad the rust is, but how bad you want something that matters.

3. Great work. Anything can be fixed if you want it bad enough. I'm real curious about the 55 chevy wheel openings, can't wait to see it in one color. Looks real good so far.

4. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Cool deal fixing another one of the "too far gone" cars! I like progress keep it up. You see what some guys start w/and soon you realize just about anything can be fixed.

I'm working one one of the "too far gone" cars myself only diffrence I take out big hunks at a time!

[​IMG]

Remember its only metal, just cut out the bad stuff and weld to the rest.

5. Squablow, user kenglish has a 4 dr '49 he's parted out near Kankakee IL, I've seen the parts, I bought the hood and trunk lid from it.

Back to the OP, good job, you either pay big bux for a clean one or get a deal and break out the welder. Once you have that Merc in primer you will be very happy.

6. Fiddy... I was one of the guys that told him that...!

And you'll have to stand in line behind "Titus, Bobbleed and others" at my trash with cash...! Hahaha!

That's one of the reasons I told him to sell the Merc... but he was able to work it out so he could get the Willys without having to sell the Merc!

It's amazing how his metalworking skills have improved by working on that "Potatoe Chip" of a Merc!

He'll be an Expert by the time he gets to the Willys...!!!

7. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Looks great man, keep at it!

8. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

you do some damn fine work , that car was a bone when you started congratulations on a great rebuild ,

9. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together................

10. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

DAMN! That's all, just... DAMN!

11. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Thanks for all of the props fellas, it means alot when the thumbs ups come from guys on here...you guys realize the amount of work it took to get this thing back into any kind of shape...
    I failed to mention that in this build I also have replaced the front floors, rear floors, trunk floor, inner rockers, outer rockers, and boxed the inner and outer rockers together. I tried to duplicate as exactly as possible the original factory sheet metal where I wasn't going to modify the car (i.e. chop the roof, nose the hood, etc) and I've been butt welding everything together and grinding it smooth when done, so it looks like an original part.
    I made some more progress last night on her, and I took some pics, however my fiance has the USB port insert for the memory card in my phone, so I'm gonna have to wait to put up some pics...I can at least tell what I did...The bottom of the passenger door skin was swiss cheese for the entire length, so I replaced it 5 1/2" inches from the bottom up...also made the passenger side front fender outer and welded it on...tonight I'm hoping to get the front bumper on ('56 Ford front bumper) and start fabricating the new grill pan...

12. Excellent progress. Nice thing about fixing one this bad up is the quality of your work improves tremendously and you won't be afraid to tackle anything after this. Keep up the great work. Pat.

13. oz40

oz40

keep up the great work
    oz40(Tom)

14. hunter_lake

hunter_lake

Looks Good, I'm interested to see the end result!

15. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Looking good CadillacKid! I echo the previous comments from other HAMBers. I'm glad you took the right-road (your Road) and not your friend's road with this Merc. It's people like you and countless others on the HAMB with that No Fear-Can Do attitude that's got me addicted to the forum. When you talk "Traditional" in a sense you're say pushing the envelope, going where you've never gone before. In my opinion that's why Hot Rodding/Dry lakes and HAMB exists - for those whom have DARED! ""Keep on Keepin' On (Joe Dirt circa 2000 somethin'??) and keep the progress pics flowing.

16. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

That's an incredible job you are doing. Nothing is impossible if you have the skills, and you sir have them!
    Enjoyed the pics.

17. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Thanks fellas...I'll try and get some more pics up in the next day or so....the merc's got a front bumper now....gonna make the grille pan tonight for the '52 Desoto grille....off to the shop!

18. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

you've done a lot of good work to bring that car back. Thanks for sharing the build, and I'll look forward to the rest of the story!

19. ken1939

ken1939

"Your Ghetto Hand in fab is strong"

Anything can be fixed :)

Super job keep us up to date on progress!

20. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Just entered!!!! And keeping fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. When you get it done, you should drive it over to visit the old hermit farmer you bought it from...:D

22. Looking good...hope to see it and you this summer...

23. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Okay, so here's some updated pics....The front end is almost done!
    Front bumper is on after making new brackets for it (it is lowered about 4 inches from stock and brought forward about 6 inches), and I custom fabbed the new grille pan.

Attached Files:

24. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Here's the super secret rear quarters....I got thinking about the chop that I want to do on the car - I really like the chop on Dave Paras's car - Glassguy on the Hamb - so I'm gonna try to duplicate it - but his car is a '51 with the extended factory rear quarters, and the chop looks great on his car, but it would make the rear of my '50 look too short in my opinion. So I dug into the secret stash and now have it about 70% done....'56 Packard Clipper quarters! Here's the progress pics...First the original quarters, then the big hole that I had to cut (that one seems to make everybody nervous :) ) and then the quarters as the have gotten so far. I'm gonna use the '56 packard bumper on the back too if possible....more updates to come!

Attached Files:

25. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

I just wanted to say thanks again for all of the props on this fellas...it definitely means alot!

26. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Absolutely awesome!! What great ideas and workmanship. Thanks for the progress pics, and keep 'em coming.

27. Holy cow Steve! You are really moving along on this project!!! Can't wait to see what you pull out of your bag of tricks next!!! Keep it coming!

Max

28. great work man

but am i the only dude on this planet that think the packard quaters look doofie on a merc

29. He has vision I dont have...Ill bet he pulls it all together in the end. Great job so far.

30. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Damn, I like your style! Great save too.

Nick.