Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wisconsin Junk-Yard Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 27T, Jan 4, 2009.

1. 2-TONED

2-TONED

i looked at it awhile but never bought it. it was rolled end over end the dropped tube axle was snapped off. the rear of the body was pushed in pretty bad. front sheetmetal was gone. (i thought at first glance it was just a orange cab over ford big truck :eek:) he said it was friends of his that rolled it & it had a 440 mopar in it & went like hell.
    i figured someone would know of the car & chime in. i wonder what ever happened to it myself.
    oh hey somewhere i have a pic of that car ill have to look for it.

the chopped & channeled T coupe was a roller for $1,000.00 seemed pretty nice but i could still find the same thing around here at that time for that price.

2. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

awesome pics, thanks for posting!

There's a reason so many of those cars are so complete, and tha'ts the owner.

I've never been to a junkyard that was 'reasonably' priced except maybe pickapart on half price day.

3. 68wagon

68wagon

awsome pics thanks for sharing.
    you dont see stuff like that lying around here in australia

4. Thanks for sharing the pics.
    Some of those wrecked ones I wish I could hear the stories...or maybe not.:eek:

5. 1953blueflame

1953blueflame

Ive been here with my father , we spent almost all day there . Just when you thought youve seen all the cars you stumble on another section of land . This place is great !!!

6. econolow

econolow
    from Ladner BC

Yeah, thanks for sharing!
    Nothing like that around my area.

7. phat rat

phat rat

That's exactly the attitude that pisses the yard owners off. The idea that the yard owner is always overpricing can easily get you tossed out of a yard. So some advice. Keep your mouth shut when you figure the price is to high. The next thing might not be. There is no price guide on the older parts. Prices vary, sometimes even in the same day according to what the customer might be wearing or his attitude

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  8. Love those old Datsuns.

9. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

You guys just dont understand about this one.
    Theres a reason they make scary movies about what people have done in WI.

In the back woods of North WI the long winters get to people and they can get a little goofy.

Carl is a nice guy, he will chat all day long. But he is a buisness man that has some quirks.

Tell you what, go visit him and see what you guys think.

And, those pictures show about a 5th of whats altogeather there. We never went across the road!!!

10. Abomination

Abomination

I'll probably catch hell, but I don't give a shit... but you know, I kind of LIKE that poor little Civic!

~Jason

11. krooser

krooser

You're right... you WILL catch hell...

12. Abomination

Abomination

I've always kind of wanted one - especially the ones with the little air cooled 2-banger motors in 'em. I like the early Honda bikes - hell, I have a '63 Dream in my living room.

Check 'em out - they're more of a 4-wheeled motorcycle!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_N360

~Jason

13. looks like garbage to me. I know you guys are salvatating now, but once you get it into the shop and start work on it and the shit crumbles to dust... then what? Bondo and bailing wire? to heck with the ol koot!..

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i got plans on a spring crawl up there...

anyone from east-central/N.E.W. in for a trip?

15. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Fiddy, Some guys were over on Monday talking about going over there as soon as the snow melts. Ill keep you posted once they pick some dates...

ROB

16. 29AROD

29AROD

i am getting tired of the old timers who would rather see the car rot then give them a new lease on life.

17. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Word... lemme know dude!

PM me anyhow... found a couple yards i wanted to ask ya bout, or i can call ya

18. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Hey guys,
    I could find some more yards in the area if you wanted to see more than Carls yard. They wont be as big but should be easyer to get in.

19. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal
    from Wisconsin

A couple of us from over in Medford would be interested.

20. bobbyd08

bobbyd08
    from md

I'm leaning toward a Kaiser Frazer.....................Bobbyd

21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I have literally hauled truck loads of parts out of that yard.Carl is Carl.Deal with it.
    First time I went it was all day deal.Every time he said make an offer I would then he would double it.He was in Good Carl mode and by days end I ended up with just about every automotive related old sign he had.Went back the next day to get the rest.The more often I went,the better the deals were.It helped that I had enough cash so that it waqsnt one of those...'I gotta run home and get the money' deals either.Been there on a Bad Carl day a time or two as well and been told to get out and it's a 5 hour haul one way.Thats how it goes.The great thing is there are a number of great yards within a hour so I just go to one of the other ones.

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Know it's an older thread, but the question was left open. BobbyD was right. I think it was right about '40/'50, Henry K. had tied up a LOT of capital building 200,000 Kaisers for '49, half of which didn't sell! So, he gave a few a face-lift, turning them into sort of camping and picnic, multi-purpose FAMILY cars. If my memory serves, I think the Kaiser version was call Vagabond, and the Frazer was the Traveler, or something like that. REALLY SCARCE nowadays!!!

[​IMG]

23. I worked for a guy in a salvage yard in Mass many years ago that had a reputation for being one of those guys you just don't dicker with ever.. Had a guy come in one time for a door for a Chevy pickup. Boss told him to go find one he liked and he'd give him a price. Well the guy comes back carrying a door that's pretty decent and the boss tells him 75 bucks. Guy starts nitpicking stupid shit, little dent here, spot of rust there, and offers 50 bucks. The boss says "excuse me" and lays the door down on the ground without saying a word. Gets in the yard wrecker and drives over the door. Gets out and looks at the guy and says "THAT'S a $50 door.... Don't fuck with crusty old junkies who don't need the money. If you need it buy it. Next one you find will cost more. From what I see on this post the guy has alot of cool stuff that's taken many years to collect and judging from the pic of his wrecker he's made a few bucks along the way. I don't care if you think his price is too high on that hood he's got over there with the big dent in it. It's his hood and I can promise he's not gonna go bankrupt if you don't buy it.. Just some advice from a guy who's worked in the salvage yards for many years and managed a couple along the way.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

NHBandit is right. One of my best friends worked with his dad at his salvage yard. They worked hard. They had thick skins, because they were used to people coming and trying to get something for nothing. People seemed to think that it was all just "junk," anyway. And, somehow, they were supposed to to just hang onto everything, until somebody needed a piece of it. Well, they paid property and business taxes and had overhead costs, incluidng men on their payroll. How could they just give things away for a song? And, of course, anyone who felt they'd paid too much went away and could or would spread the word they were crooks or "gyps." Now, anybody would have attitude when approached, always, by people with preconceived ideas and attitudes of their own. If somebody has held onto a car or part you want, for literally decades -- instead of crushing it for fast dough -- then, he deserves a fair price for his trouble and all his storage costs. If you approach someone with insulting behavior, you are shooting yourself in the foot. And dickering a bit on price doesn't have to mean confrontation and hard feelings; try diplomacy. Instead of, "Hell, it's not worth that!" try, "You know, it's probably worth that, but all I can manage is $___ dollars." You catch more bees with honey that you do with vinegar.

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

The Kaiser and Frazer Traveler was based on the over-used four-door body
    to give dealers something new to get buyers into showrooms. The deluxe
    Vagabond version could be had for $200 more than the base-price Traveler.

[​IMG]

1949 Kaiser Traveler/Vagabond "hatchback." Photo courtesy of flickr from Yahoo!

[​IMG]
    Kaiser-Frazer promotional illustration courtesy of Allpar

26. 24riverview

24riverview

Couple more pics of it from that day, the grille said Kaiser.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

i think ive been there a few years back. overwelming for sure! i dont even remember how to get there anymore. lots of potential if hes selling?

28. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

nice 46 chevy truck and 46 gmc and 46 chevy coe

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  29. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

Cool pics, nice 66 dodge wagon ,thanks for posting, East Troy Junk yard is Tri Troy salvage and is similar in types of cars but not as big, on Hy 20 between Lagrange and East Troy, only open on sat. (sometimes) I thoughtthere used to be a stacked wall of chevy Impalas on the back property line worth the stroll thru.