Register now to get rid of these ads!

draw thru turbo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speedhammer, Jan 15, 2009.

1. sergisbadass

sergisbadass
    from Dallas TX

wow i read mostly every post on this thread and found some very usefull information thanks everybody for school'in me

2. Steve is my Guru, manlove to the red haired Polack!

3. foaktree

foaktree

I have a 1980 Turbo TA 301 with the draw through set-up. I think that RacerRick is correct in saying that a bypass valve would be of some benefit.....since every time my car makes a WOT shift the engine pings due to build up of pressure in the intake (caused by engine RPM drop). The waste gate control does not quick enough to handle the spike.

I would like to see some photos of the bypass valve setup that he has to see if this could be done on our cars.

4. ramaro

ramaro

that would be cool! i had a turbo 194 cu in chevy in my wagon. i just used the stock manifolds, an integral wastgate, and a stock 1-barrel carb. i was pretty surprised with how much it helped performance. you could seriously set it up in a weekend if you had a welder and some 2'' pipe.

5. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

A draw through is fairly easy to set up.
    Here is a pic of my son's set up on a 225 slant six with a draw thru turbo. Notice at the bottom is the waste gate.

Attached Files:

6. customnova

customnova
    from nashville

7. quadrazer

quadrazer

Well, I'm gonna pull this 7 year old thread off the shelf and dust it off, cause I need some information.
    In a draw thru turbo system, since the carb is always in vacuum, what changes need to be made with jetting?
    On the flip side, if you box in your carb to use it as a blow thru setup, what carb mods are required?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

8. I believe that in a draw-though, all you need to do is size the carb and jetting big enough for the target power level. In a blow-though with a carb box, you need to use solid floats (foam plastic) as the pressure can collapse brass floats.

Generally speaking, a blow-though system will have better throttle response.

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The carb bowl vent needs to be sealed from the boost.
    And a fuel pressure regulator that can rise the pressure above boost pressure.