Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any way to get lacquer paint anymore?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950ChevySuburban, Feb 3, 2009.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I did a search for "lacquer", came up empty. I'd like to someday paint my '29 sedan in lacquer. Why? Nothing looks like hand rubbed lacquer on an old car. Is it illegal all over the USA? I can't find it here in Arizona. What about elsewhere - Australia, UK,....

If I do find some, what about shelf life if stored indoors?

Thanks!

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

b and h paint

1420 SW 3rd St
    Oklahoma City, OK 73108
    (405) 235-7347

3. Just about anything now is an acrylic lacquer, ask at a local auto body supply shop and they should be able to tell you what they have to offer.

Bob

4. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Auto Zone and other parts houses carry the Dupli-Color System paint that is lacquer.

5. Yes, but the problem with the paint they sell is it is already diluted with thinner.You don't get the full strength paint you can mix to your liking.It ends up costing a lot buying it like that.

6. Our PPG guys have it.

7. shock

shock

8. dbradley

dbradley

When I lived in AZ, I got lacquer at SpaceAge in Mesa. 480 835-0971

9. Jdee

Jdee

I used it on Pianos years ago, nitrocellulose lacquer
    Used to get it in 5 gal. pails .
    Search for [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Guitar Lacquer
    Or other types. Its still out there just not in the car paint supplies
    places, search for instrument lacquer.
    Jdee

[/FONT]

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Bill Hirsch, Newark NJ, has all the old car colors in Nitrocellulose.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

There are still a few people on ebay who specialize in the old colors, not reduced.

12. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

i grew up with laquer paints but todays paints when done right can't be beat.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  13. low50s

low50s

no i dont think lacquer is illigal in AZ but some places wont sell it to you because of the VOC laws, but yes you cant beat some newer style paints (solvent based, or now even waterbased) paints but i guess it just depends on the look your going for, but if you ever decide to go to a newer style paint you will have to remove the old lacquer 100% just something to keep in mind

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I always thought it was the other way around - never paint lacquer over enamels. Maybe I'm wrong?
    I don't want a traditional car with a modern paint job and no chips, I want something that will weather nicely (correctly) like it was built years ago. Not faux patina, but my own road stories written in the wear and tear of daily driving.

I really like the modern paints, and have had great success with them, but this isn't my '97 Saturn here :)

15. Oldsmopile

Oldsmopile

Any place that sells PPG should be able to get it for you. They still make all there lacquer toners. The parts store down the street from me still has a full lacquer mixing bank. The shelf life is about the same as a twinkie. The stuff lasts forever. I've had a can that was completely dried up hard and I just put a little thinner in the can and the next day it was just like new. Once you spray it on a car it doesn't last very long. It will look good for about 5 years. Then it starts breaking down, especially if its in the sun a lot. But some people like that aged look and you don't have to wait long with lacquer:)

16. COLOR-ITE IN CT. SHOULD HAVE THE LACQUER PAINT YOU WANT. THIS GUY IS THE REAL DEAL AND HIS PAINT IS GREAT. IT'S BEEN AWHILE SINCE I HAVE DELT WITH HIM BUT I THINK HE STILL CAN SUPPLY WHAT YOU NEED.

http://www.color-ite.com/our_history.htm

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. SanfordAndWife

SanfordAndWife
    from Michigan

You can still get laquer. Any place that sells PPG should have it. HOWEVER, my husband's professional opinion is... HE HATES LAQUER. He used to paint a lot of cars years ago with it, and would get mad because there is nothing to protect it from rubbing through. It always stays dull, and you have to keep it polished, until they came out with a clear to put over it. Best thing to use is PPG or Dupont base-coat clear-coat. But again, the paints now-a-days are expensive to have the special paint guns to break it up right, etc. So if you have the old guns, cheaper to stay with laquer. I did buy a pint of laquer not too long ago and spotted in a front fender on a 1953 Corvette.

P.S. If you have a problem getting the laquer, I'd be happy to try and get it for you her in Michigan and send it. Let me know if you can't find a dealer, and I'll give you the phone number in Benton Harbor, Michigan, and maybe they'll order it and send it to you.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

What type of primers can you put under Nitrocellulose? Can you use normal catalysed primers? Or do you have to use a laquer base primer? What about body filler will the laquer lift regular bodo?

19. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The best type of primer under a lacquer job is a lacquer based primer.
    Mixing poly or some of the late model urethane primers is askin' for trouble.
    Lacquer will "melt" blend and become as one with lacquer, not so, with a urethane or poly primer. Never shoot lacquer over anything but a lacquer based product. Even the sealers they use to sell claiming you could shoot over an enamel job were nothing but trouble!
    Lacquer shot over a properly mixed and primed plastic filler, should offer no problems. This was "industry standard" from the 50s-70s, until the advent of all the "gee-wizz" primers and finishes, some of them very good.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " It's time for another Tea Party !"

20. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

I swear that the new base coats(just the base) are the old lacquer paints of the past. They look the same...:confused: Just my thoughts.

21. just paint it with whatever and move to arizona where its around 115 degrees in the summer,live in the desert on a dirt road and a not so good road leading 20 miles thru the mountians to the city on piss poor roads and you will have it in no time..................oh wait you and I already do!:D:D

22. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

23. Sweet50Jay

Sweet50Jay

Attached Files:

24. I can tell you not buy that cheap ass lacquer paint from tcpglobal, it sprays nice but will not shine as well as the good old lacquer and it will not stand up to any gas spills, not even a little.

loudbang likes this.
  25. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Didn't PaintGuru, here on the hamb, say he can get/mix/concoct it?
    Sounded like his stuff was better quality for the price, too.
    Marcus...

loudbang likes this.
  26. Gman0046

Gman0046

Bought some not to long ago in Kentucky. Had the color mixed in local paint supply shop.

loudbang likes this.
  27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Don't think the original poster needs it anymore.....

Beanscoot and loudbang like this.
  28. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Oooohhh... ;( . Gotta read dates closer. Still, now that the Q has been raised from the long-dead, what is the status on lacquer? Curiosity n all that...
    Marcus...

46international and loudbang like this.
  29. Binkman

Binkman

What colors were you thinking about ?
    I have quite a bit of Dupont Lacquer left over.
    I have some tans, beige, red, and a few other colors. Mostly quarts and pints. Probably 10 gallons total.
    I used to do woodgraining and painting of Coke items, gas pumps.
    It's all left over.

loudbang likes this.