Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chevy 261 vs Buick Nailhead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Jan 29, 2009.

1. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

But there is a difference between a basic re-ring/freshen up and a full blown hi-po build. CC'ng combustion chambers, line boring, etc. That can double the price easily...[/quote]

Yes, but that would apply to all engines.
    Besides, who degrees a cam on a stock rebuild but doesn't mic it and check clearances.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not me, if that's what you're implying. But lot's of the guys that do engines around here will do wacky stuff like that, they want to degree the cam because there is power to be had there, not realizing that properly clearanced bearings are just as important. It tickles me to no end. It's pretty much the 5.0 and SBC crowd. They'll throw in new bearings, put in a cam and tell me it's a 400hp motor. :rolleyes: That's why I asked a couple times for what he was looking for. It's like the guy that wants a paint job, there are a lot of variables. I kind of feel like you were coming after me for some reason. I was just trying to find out what he was after from the rebuild, then I could of given a better answer. Hell you can spend $5k building a SBC. Nailheads aren't really that expensive if you look at the parts prices. It's the Labor that'll kill you. It's about the attention to detail.

3. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Didn't mean to attack you. just a misunderstanding of words.
    Sorry for killing the thread. Will take it to pm now...
    making a peace offering....

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  4. When you two talk Nailheads, I listen................................................The question at hand is "six or Nailhead?" I'm a Nailhead freak, but that car begs for a 'liner..........

5. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I love the Nailheads as much as anyone-even the Zman. But in this case, I think the car really wants an inliner, especially all dressed up and sounding sweet. The nailhead will last a little while in the garage awaiting another project. Trust me, I have bought projects just to put the motors in. RIght now I have two longterm projects waiting for 322s and one for a 401.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I apologize, I think we were after the same thing, but coming from two different angles.

Either inline or Nailhead if you do a thorough job on the engine it'll last for a long time. If you take short cuts it'll definitely cut it's life expectancy.

7. Hellfish

Hellfish

It didn't sound like you were being attacked or anything. Legitimate questions, followed by good answers. I can see a nailhead costing more due to parts and perhaps the machine shop's unfamiliarity with them, but it seems like in general, an OHV v8 rebuild is an OHV v8 rebuild. But what do I know? Nothing. :D

8. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I think we are past that now.
    Now back to the question-who wants to keep it inline, who wants to see Nailhead?

9. Foe me, this one is pretty simple, you want a custom... go with the dressed 6. I'm biased though...

[​IMG]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3YEFYTtS_QU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3YEFYTtS_QU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This one is much like the one you did in your wife's car I think.. stock internals, mcgurk 2x1, carter W-1s, and fentons through straight 1.75" pipes. The 261 should be more than enough to move that car nicely, even in a milder state than you envisioned.

10. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

pay attention to cosmo 49 comments about the final gear. any 235/261 worth its salt will pull a 2.73-2.50 gear and love it. these are torque engines and should not be treated like a sbc.

11. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I have a 261 in my 39 2dr and just gettin it going. I love them stovebolts but if i was gonna put in a V8, I wouldn,t mind a Buick, it is all torq, and looks cool and ya dont havto build it up. just put in switchpitch turbo 400 and tall gear and cruise. i have a 330 Desoto that is asking me to be installed, it would be wall to wall motor in mine.

12. panic

panic

race 261's with 283 pistons
    That's 1/8" over, but the compression height is about .200" too short: no compression, no quench.

The Cadillac stroker piston in question is the 3.800" 368 V8 (down-sized 425/472), which is .050" over on the 261. The problem is that with the shorter 292 rod, the zero-deck compression height needed for a 4-1/8" stroker is about 2.053". The Cadillac piston is too short at 1.779" @ zero deck (and probably slightly shorter), and would need either the head, the block, or both to be milled considerably (like .100" each) to get the quench distance back.

13. James Curl

James Curl

Are all 261 blocks side mount, or some front mount like the early 235s. I have been told that the side mounts can cause problems with the Fenton headers and the stock steering box. I have a friend who installed a 261 in a 54 Chevy and he used Fenton cast iron headers but it was a close fit. I think the side mounts caused him some problems, I can not remember what they were. All of the 235s that I have owned have had front mounts so I would not know about side mounting a six.

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The Nailhead will be WAY more fun when you push the GO pedal... :D

15. panic

panic

I agree - a stovebolt sounds more interesting, but no matter what you do to it the Buick will have more power.

16. teddyp

teddyp

a lot of guy,s are doing the inline thing and that,s great but if you what to be a leader not a follower go NAILHEAD a good looking motor( lots of cool factor) lots of power and not in every old chevy if i was to do my 50 over it would have a 401 nail head in itand i,ve had the 235 -6 327 sbc,400-sbc, and a 350 in the last 27yrs in it but next would be a nailhead just my 2 cents

17. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Depends on how you look at it. To those of us who have been running nailheads for years, it seems like people who are just getting them in their cars are late comers...
    Don't really matter what you put in it so long as you get it motoring down the road.

18. MScott

MScott
    from Ontario

Those 261's are not bad from a power outlook. In Canada, Pontiac used them in 1957/8 and I remember that my dad had a 58 that would spin the speedo past 120. Used to surprise Buick and Olds drivers and would flat out blow the doors of the 283 versions of the same car. Also it was as reliable as a train.