Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 chevy truck + 70 camaro stock car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patgizz, Jan 21, 2009.

1. patgizz

patgizz
    from cleveland

finally started working on my 40 chevy. i took it off the S10 chassis that originally i had planned because i found a very retired 1970 camaro stock car behind a barn and dragged it home. the guy i got it from bought it a long time ago from a guy that used to run at one of the local ovals, he saw it sitting out in a field and bought it. the body was awful but all the old race stuff is in good usable or rebuildable condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the racing class must have required an OEM front and rear lower control arm, because the fronts are mustang 2 and rears are B body GM.

the front sway bar is a huge splined unit with greasable bearings in the frame, the front spindles and hubs are from speedway motors as is the steering setup. the rear suspension is a 3 link w/ panhard bar. the axle was a tacked in 12 bolt chevy truck unit which is worthless for my use, i'll be using a 8.5" 10 bolt 9C1 caprice posi/disc brake axle, bonus is the 5x5 bolt pattern matches the front hubs.

it is set up with coil springs all around, not coil overs. as an added bonus to cheaper shocks, it has weight/height jacks at all 4 corners. front brakes are 12" with off the shelf GM D52 calipers.

the running boards will cover the outside rails of the frame. the front suspension is jacked all the way up just to make it easier to work on

the wheelbase is short of the original by about 6" which will help turning. plan there is to just run the rear fenders that much farther forward on the bedsides.

HAMB friendly? old school stock car from behind a barn + old truck stuff pulled from a farmer's field?

2. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

You going to narrow the frame to fit the truck? Brrrrrrr was that snow I saw???? In the high 70 here in AZ...

3. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

looks like a ford based frame with the lower strut and a arm style. upper control arm are not must11. probably stock products or something like them.

4. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Looks like if you cut the side rails out and reconnected the subframes in a straight line you'd have a real nice match for the truck's width. Prolly save a whole bunch of monkeying around with the steps.
    Good luck

5. patgizz

patgizz
    from cleveland

in the end i am going that way, because this one is going to be fenderless and running board-less. i bought a solid 46 to make a pretty truck, i started making this one out of stuff i had laying around. today i got the new rails started. drivers side is almost done, passenger side is just tacked in and the old rail is still there. the drivers side front rail up to the spring perch is offset 1 1/2" for steering box to engine clearance so the passenger rail is running butted straight off the front rail and the drivers side is running off the inside of the front rail and i'm boxing everything up and using plates to make it strong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]