Register now to get rid of these ads!

Attn: Welders...What takes away flash burn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sacredsteel1, Feb 2, 2009.

1. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

Besides time... 10 Hours stick welding in a confined space today. Every time i switched positions or changed rods the damn stinger would arc on something! Ive heard a few home remedies but unfortunatley cant remember any right now.....

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I've heard rub milk on your eyes, but I haven't tried it nor do I plan to.

Usually I keep my eyes closed and cry like a little girl until it stops hurting.

If you can type on the computer, its not that bad.

3. groove

groove
    from kelowna BC

a helmet.:D

Seriously though, I think spending some time in a dark room is best.

4. Squablow

Squablow

Welders flash, like on your eyes? A guy from the bodyshop I worked at swore up and down that if you cut a potato in half and put each half over your eyes (like if you were laying down) and let the juice drip into your eyes, apparently that was supposed to work wonders.

I've never actually tried it though. I've also heard about using milk, never tried that either.

5. Been there and done that too many times to count....I now have to wear glasses to see anything up close because of it. Buy an auto darkening helmet before its too late.

6. hotrod30a

hotrod30a

I've heard potato slices on the eyes, but never tried it. And also take a bath in tomato juice, oh wait thats for gettin the skunk out. lol

7. Deuce76063

Deuce76063

I welded for 15 years and burnt my eye (blind in one) several times. Best thing I found out of all the remedies is a cold wash cloth folded and laid over your eye, or eyes if you happen to have 2 of them that work.

Bob

8. havi

havi

Potatoes: as the weld-shop supervisor recommended, however, I didn't have any potatoes at home....so I used the wet rag myself. And about 18 beers. By morning all was good.

9. Yup, Tylenol, cold wet rag over your eyes and rest.

Your eyes heal amazingly fast. If it's minor enough you should be good to go my tomorrow morning.

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

A trip to the ER at three in the morning, wife driving, me with my head in my hands over my eyes, seemed to work best for me.

11. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

thanks alot. I thought the potatoe thing sounded familiar, but I live with a beautician, so i was afraid i got that mixed up with a wrinkle remedy:D

12. usac1960

usac1960

the potato slices deal works sort of.there used to be a product called butin eye drops that worked great,probably to good.now it is no longer available.good luck tonight.

13. my buddy was over the other nite with real bad flash burn. my sister-in-law who works at an eye clinic recommended a product called Naphcon-A eye drops. they're available OTC. i think they're around 11 bucks or so.

14. I have to agree with Ratmotor, man, your eyes are way more important than you can imagin, I got flash burn last year so bad I had to go to the hospital. The doctor there put some gel stuff in my eyes to numb the pain but it left me completely blind for 3 days, i had to have my wife lead me around like a freakin show pony, yeah it hurt like a mother F%$ker and as soon as I could see well enough to drive again I went to the welding shop and bought the best helment they had. Take no chances when it comes to your eyes.

15. soberTOOLman

soberTOOLman

+1 invest in the helmet its the best thing you could possibly do for yourself!

16. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

time dude...

all the 'taters and cold rags do is sooth the pain and allow your eyes to heal. time is the only thing that fixes arc flash

17. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

lots of pain meds and a ice cold rag worked best for me....ive tried the tater but i ended up eating it.........

18. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Quick fix at home is take a wet wash rag and chill in the freezer and put on your eyes. Keep one rotating. You want to take the heat out of your eyes. The trick used to be called Ponacain. You had to go home once you used it because you could drive a nail in it once applied and you would never know it. I don't think it's even on the market now. It was prescription and worked. Your eyes will be super dry tomorrow so keep them lubricated. really anything to draw the heat out. TP

19. I forgot to add something, like someone before mentioned, I too have to wear glasses now to see anything up close, It really sucks cause I never wore them before.

20. MercManMario

MercManMario

Are you really welding without a helmet? With all due respect, you deserve flashburn if you don't wear one. I got a cheapy auto darkening helmet for $50. No burns here!

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Forget that stupid fucking potato bullshit, your eyeballs are burned, not your eyelids (well they might be burned, but that ain't your problem) The docs got stuff to deaden your eyeballs, or just wait it out.

22. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

Opticaine is by far the best ever!! But, you need to know someone who knows someone. Everytime I get it the docs have recomended a lubricating eyedrop. I have tried everything in the world. Here is my remedy. Ice cold wet rag+wiskey+wiskey+beer+wiskey+Advil or simular. Thats about all you can do. And yes I have a auto lense. Get into some pretty shitty spots. Pipe about an inch off the wall under another pipe. I've also had some of the old timers tell me a little Ora-gel goes a long way.

23. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

Why it burns! Sure its a sun burn, but it is the air making contact with your eyes that intensifies the pain, when i get it i make two fist and lay down face 1st one fist in each eye keeping pressure on them to keep the air form contacting the eyes. Good luck ~S

24. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

I bought the best auto adjusting helmet I could. If thats not clear you should not be welding. Really be careful out there. Slim

25. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

ER. Doc will prescribe some ointment with narcotic in it. Works good, don't suffer.

26. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

Potatoes work great.
    but if dont have any potatoes onions or vinegar will do.

27. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

I'm told that your eyeballs get blisters on them and that is what feels like sand. I don't think there is a home cure for it.
    Also, there's no cure for stupidity.

28. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

Just to set the record straight, I WAS wearing a helmet albeit a fixed shade, I got flashed while switching rods and positions in a VERY tight area. I would NEVER weld without a mask, although I have been guilty of such practice in my youth.(just a few quick tacks ya know?) You not only risk hurting your eyes you pretty much garauntee a radiation burn to the face!

29. James427

James427
    BANNED

Been there, done that. You are in for a restless night my friend. Also, a tylenol PM or other sleep enhancer, It won't hurt if you are sleeping.

30. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

Potatoe juice dripped into my eyes gave me a great deal of relief when I burned my eyes. That was long ago, 1966.
    Now, I always use a Miller Auto darkening helmet, it's expensive & worth it.
    Get rest & Good Luck.

Lucky667