Register now to get rid of these ads!

BAKERSFIELD!!!!Considering a move. Help!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SLAMIT, Feb 1, 2009.

1. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Sorry fella's a little off topic but my wife and our 3 kids are considering a move. We are coming down this weekend to scope the place and any tips and advice would be great. Schools neighborhoods etc. hotrod stuff skate parks

Thanks for the help guys

Eric

2. tommy v

tommy v

stay in santa cruz

3. Not as bad as Malibu to Watts, but close

4. zombie

zombie

we have something like the 2nd worse air in the country, along with its many other downfalls. this is the asshole of the planet. it wasnt so bad in the 70s though. as soon as i get my 3 kids grown, im moving north.

z

5. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Santa Cruz is bitchen.
    Bako is lame.

6. John Denich

John Denich

The only reason to go to Bakersfield is for the Drags!!!! three times a years!!

7. Hell no go to oildale!!

8. Muttley

Muttley

People in Fresno make fun of Bakersfield, that should tell you all you need to know.

9. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

We can swap housing...:D

10. dirt

dirt

that is some funny shit. true but funny.

11. Shoprag

Shoprag

Whatever bad things they say about us doesn't matter, we have, March Meets, Now Dragfest and Hot Rod Reunion, plus u only have about a 2hr cruise to most of the shows.

12. Same can be said for Fresno being made fun of in Bako Muttley. I would stay in Santa Cruz if you have that option. Bako has some decent things which are the amount of old iron still affordable if you look for it, Famoso is 15 minutes from my house, Rod and Kulture Magazine is based here, we have one of the oldest dirt tracks in Cali, and thats all I can think of right at the moment. I second what Zombie said about moving North but I was thinking along the lines of out of California completely. Bakersfield has changed drastically in the last 10 years. Its doubled in size pretty much and has lost its appeal it had for me in my youth. Industry is based on oil prices here. So guess what? Good luck on finding a decent job unless you already have connections that are not already tapped out. PM me if you want to know more.-Weeks

13. 51stockshock

51stockshock
    from limbo

I work in the area occasionally....it is the butthole of the central valley.......and it may have been cool in the 70's but it has a very bad gang/drug/crime issue now, seems worse than other places....unfortunately it seems to be coming from L.A.

14. Yeah, Its cheaper and closer to all the goodfellas on lockdown in the prisons nearby.

15. 51stockshock

51stockshock
    from limbo

The prisons are huge....but it seems there are always cript or blood gang raids... there are good areas........just from what I've seen it seems the bad out weighs the good there

16. Actually there is only one group of bloods in the whole town and they are off of 34th st. near the hospital. Crips oh yeah, Mexican Mafia, Nuesta Familia, Black Gorilla Family, Peckerwoods, NLR, AB, Triads, we have it all just like L.A.. Honestly what city doesn't now? I have worked with em' all in the oilfields and it all boils down to the Respect issue. Some are good, some are bad. We're all human.

Some of our pens aren't that big here.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  17. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

yeah I am aware of the buttholeness of the area but on the other hand 2grand a month for an apartment sucks balls. if you can get into a house at around 2200 to 2800 a month then you deal with the assholes that say no projects no extra cars no noise blah blah. and to buy an 1100 sf home with no yard for 500,000 to 700,000 is way out of my league all together. I love SC but hate it all at the same time. I like the Idea of being close to a lot of so cal events and cool places to visit.?????? nothing is set in stone and we are just browsing our options at the moment so any other input would be great thanks for the replys.

Eric

18. sharkfin

sharkfin

Dude - Just move to Watsonville. I bought a nice foreclosed home for 325,000. There are some nice places under 300K and you don't have to leave SC County.

19. Try the antelope valley a lot better than bako and only an hour south-east of there, good prices on houses and plenty of rentals, close to all fwys, 14, 5, 15, and so on.lots of car culture out here also.

20. Move to Santa Maria. Regarding Palmdale, Victorville, Lancaster, aren't the gangs a problem
    there too?
    If you look in the L.A. area, get near Glendale or Burbank. If you look in the
    Antelope valley, try Saugus, Valencia (Santa Clarita,) parts of Canyon Country and
    Newhall.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  21. jnds53

jnds53

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh bakersfield, the land of buck owens and pick up trucks

22. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

just don't move to Oildale. Lots better options than Bako, also what do you do for a living? Bako screams recession potential.

23. Just Jones

Just Jones

24. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Oh how I would love to go to Austin. I do love the place Gregg and I couldnt beat the friendship there that is for sure. Just getting that far away makes Julie a little Nervous so..... Here we are again not knowing what to do??????????????

Eric

25. 61TBird

61TBird

You're already in Santa Cruz...what about Ben Lomond,Boulder Creek or Felton.
    It's not too far from where you are already.

27. TraderJack

TraderJack

Left bakersfield 40 years ago, but loved it then.
    Looking at it now the air is bad, but houses are cheap and prices still dropping.
    good schools for the most part as oil pays for lots of education.

Old story, if you have good neighbors now, you will probably have good neighsbor there.

Might be better off in Stockton, or Sacramento, less smog , houses dropping prices like mad, and it all depends upon if you can find work!

traderjack

28. SteadyT

SteadyT

Move to East Bakersfield hahahahaha :D. Made me hard but its not the best place on the planet to raise a family. 9 out of 10 of my buds that I grew up with down there have the most fucked up lives, no shitting. Not one has a good job, unless your a corrections officer, then you got a job for life at Corchran.

My dad does well, same with my stepmom, and I love to visit, but I can't wait to come home. Especially 110 degrees in mid-August. FUCK THAT.

I love the racing history behind that town, and you can still find killer old machinists that did work for Prudhomme, Big Daddy, Shirley Muldowny, etc. They don't advertise anymore, but they're there.

29. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

i think California is all taking a shit.

30. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

BAKERSFIELD!!! noway go to WASCO!