Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to advertise in the HAMB Classifieds (almost a RANT!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Time, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

On the flipside, if you're a buyer, be sure to follow thru. If you PM or post that you'll take it, you better be ready to take it now. Don't string the seller along. If you can't afford it or can't make it to the post office/ bank to get a M/O within a day or 2, tell the seller. And be sure to let the seller know when the payment is sent. Remember the golden rule.

2. pastlane

pastlane

Excellent points T-Time. And really, how hard is it for people to add a photo to their ad? I'm a computer dinosaur & I figured out how to upload photos to the HAMB.

99% of the ads without photos, I don't bother to look at.

3. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I feel your pain... I hat when people don't use the letters "S" or "C". example--
    "bad azz kuztum merkury for zale, no pikz, price in ad".
    I dont know why it bothers me, it doesn't hut no one, and I usually can tell what they're trying to say, but I skip thoze adzzz...

4. And you went to college for this? We learned this in High School...

5. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Well said. Exactly the point. Even a 5th Grader should be able to get the basics right. Even a caveman can do it!

[As to college, these are the very basics. How to hide the Coke ads between the scenes in the movie without the movie goer knowing they are there is what you learn college. ;) Actually, I went to college for engineering. Advertising was my secondary major.]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  6. Squablow

Squablow

If you really want to sell your point here, this would be much easier to read with some spacing between paragraphs and capitalization at the beginning of each sentence. (sarcasm)

And while I can understand the situation you have outlined, I doubt the first-timer old guy who isn't familiar with forums knows how to put "btt" under his ad 15 times even though no one has shown any interest. I tend to see that a lot with poorly written ads.

7. Muttley

Muttley

Pictures and spelling are key issues for me, it drvies mee knuts wen I'me tryng two reed ane add adn evrythin iss mispled.

8. I like the 3 legged stool rule. Lots of other good points so far in this thread too.

Something we have to keep in mind - in forums such as this we're dealing with all kinds of folks, mechs, techs, young, old, etc. Some may be great mechanics but might not be so good with the grammer and spelling, vice versa. I think most of us can tell when somebody mizpellz on porpoise, or when they simply don't know write from wrong - kinda sucky eh? Spell check works. But there isn't a "grammer check" key that I know of. Write it serious, do your best. No cutesy wootsy stuff. I'm guilty sometimes, I try not to be in ads.

When posting ads we should give it the KISS. I don't want to read 2 paragraphs of campfire song, touchy feely crap about a rusty old POS if that's what it is.

Although I've not posted ads on HAMB I did at that OTHER place for nearly 10 years. I've always tried the honesty is best policy approach; unfortunately the Morality Police have a hard time enforcing this rule on everyone.

And please, short with the disclaimers in the ad. Keep them for a PM if possible. If the description, pictures and price appeals to a buyer he/she can contact the seller for more details.

Great topic!

9. I think it boils down to the fact that it should not be a job for a buyer to try and get info about what they want to buy. If you want to sell it is your job to make it happen.

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Now that a ton of negative comments have been posted:rolleyes: I am putting in my 2 cents.I have put adds on other sites and questions get asked and then no response,so far fellow HAMBers have been GREAT to deal with! good communication,prompt payment and pm's thanking me when the item is recieved,to all of my buyers,A BIG thanks!:D:D

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I had never considered this.

12. I've spent the last eleven or so years trying to either get a job, or get work with "photos".

I can tell you that good imagery is the key to selling anything online. If you do your best to put the person "there", so they can decide for themselves. Don't expect someone to buy something that they can't evaluate like they would if it was in front of them- it's just common courtesy.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  13. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I understand what everyone is saying and I agree with most .

BUT the 2 things that piss me off the most is'
    1--CAN'T GET AN ANSWER FOR DAYS
    2--THEN AFTER MANY DAYS OF SEEING THE SAME POST , I GET THE REPLY " I SOLD IT THE FIRST DAY !!!!

Close the ad when you sell it PLEASE !

14. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Thanks good post.