Register now to get rid of these ads!

henrob 2000 regulators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by muttafokker, Jan 31, 2009.

1. muttafokker

muttafokker
    from new york

just bought the henrob.anyone know the best place to get low pressure regulators for it? can you use regular tig rod with this torch?new to gas welding but I'm stoked to try this thing out.heard a lot of good stuff about it.

2. tdoty

tdoty

I use regular regulators with my Henrob. The video I got with mine shows how to adjust the regulators without needing two-stage regs.

Regular TIG rod works just fine.

Tim D.

3. muttafokker

muttafokker
    from new york

how do you like it? use it alot?

4. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

It's all I use and have done for years. You only need the ordinary regulators. Go to the metal meet site and look up Henrob on there. Henrob Jim has a few good hints on how to set the regulators working without hassle. I find the main advantqage is less gas use ,main disadvantage is the friggen heat! . man does that hand piece get hot when you are welding etc.

if you really want to use a low pressure reg just use a single stage bubble indicator reg for a mig welder. It can flow as little as a couple of PSI and gas places sell them for peanuts.

5. autocol

autocol

hey tim, i got a video with mine too, but unfortunately being in australia the US video doesn't work so i haven't managed to watch it.

i have set it up by trial and error but would like to know the "right" way to do it. any hints (or a link to youtube :) )

6. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Autocol,you should look on metal meet too,there are videos on cutting etc to download for free using the torch. Henrob was/is a Brisbane company and the torch was designed in OZ.
    Here you go..
    http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/

7. muttafokker

muttafokker
    from new york

i just have a set of victor single stages that i have only used for cutting and heating with the rosebud. be great if i dont have to spend 300 bucks on a set of two stage regs.that torch kit was expensive enough.

8. muttafokker

muttafokker
    from new york

i got a hookup for free tig rod.thats really all i need for sheet metal and aluminum right?obviously matching the rod to the metal.

9. Flea

Flea

I talked to some guys demonstrating the henrob at a car show, and they told me that the victor regulators I already have would work just fine. I haven't bought a henrob yet. I will someday but for now I am getting along just fine with my regular torch

10. tdoty

tdoty

I had some issues with the design of the Henrob......but I got over it. I use a Meco Jet Aviator and a Victor too. They are all nice, but the Henrob is definitely my fave.

The handpiece gets hot during welding? Never noticed that. I usually hold it up near the tip while I'm welding anyway, and just lay the body against my wrist.

You'll need flux for welding aluminum too. Gas welding aluminum is really easy.......but blowing holes in aluminum is even easier! It takes some practice.

Tim D.

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

How much should one of these henrob hand pieces cost?

12. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Tdoty

Have you got a good flux that is stable and doesn't turn to a watery paste in the jar over time?

I used ABC for years. They quit making the good stuff and told me it would be $25 a pound I used to buy a big dill pickel bottle size for 1/2 that!

Dirty nails...... HEAT? Mine doesn't get hot. Maybe use kevlar gloves or wrap the handle with header wrap but honest shouldn't get real hot.

13. tdoty

tdoty

Still looking myself! Anybody know of a good, stable band of aluminum flux? Mine always goes to crap before I use half the jar.

Tim D.

14. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Hi,Years ago i asked the local agent about the heat in the handpeice and he said to use the heat sheild . I tend to weld all sorts of stuff with it ,stuff I used to braze such as steel hydro fittings for steering etc.
    I'm too mean to buy gloves...:)

I have used it so much I need to buy another set of tips soon.
    re welding alloys, The alloy sheet sold today has a higher content of magnezium and glows really brightly when trying to gas weld it. Older alloy sheet that I find on 1950's cars has a lower mag content and is dead easy to gas weld. it's probably surplus aircraft panels:D
    Alloy flux needs to placed into a glass jar with tight fitting lid. Mason jar ?
    It's so friggen expensive I keep it hidden in a dark cupboard away from sunlight etc.

15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Maybe if we got together and asked Anti Borax Corp they's make a run and charge us all less. But as yet the rape you...... They are the only ones that made a really stable flux

Glass jars don't really help for long. I don't live in the deserts

Have you tried to weld prewarAlclad/Duraloy? It's sandwiched Mag in the middle!

It'll make a man-0-you :D

You can buy tips do a goggle.

16. As noted, nothing special about the regulators.

I have a Henrob/Dillon and simply put low pressure reading gauges on it.
    A range of zero to 30# works fine.

That way, you have a way to read somewhat higher pressures when cutting with a standard torch.

I usually weld with both regulators set to 4#

With a lower reading gauge a more accurate adjustment at the lower levels is easier.

Gauges don't cost too much, both of mine were under $20.