Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects To the person who said,"There's more to life than a 350/350 setup."...Thankyou!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatblackstude, Jan 31, 2009.

1. RodStRace

RodStRace

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Oh, and AMEN!

2. David Chandler

David Chandler

That flat six with twin carbs is the cats ass in my book. Good Choice.
    As for the charging system. God only knows how many cars were built with generators. They worked then, and they still will. I've had a few and never had trouble with them.
    Good Luck!

3. MERC 55

MERC 55

Good choice, I once had a 54 plymouth flathead, 3 aces and split exhaust. Lots of fun. 3/4 race cam from sears.

4. Beautiful! Glad to see not everyone has to go the scrub route. Take a little time and effort, be differant!

5. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Another great quote :D

6. ct

ct
    from minnesota

Your Stude motor looks great. I left the generator on my '55 Stude motor. I like the way it looks and seems to work fine.
    The great part about all this is the expression on peoples faces when you tell them you didn't put in a 350. Good on you!

7. Wolfie

Wolfie

Love your choice of engine!!!!! Looks GREAT!!! I put a 1 wire alternator on my '50 Olds fastback with the STOCK(almost) 303 and it works Super!
    Wolfie

8. I recall a company somewhere that turned your stock generator into an alternator.

9. I switched my '55 to an alternator (way back when) because the generator wouldn't stay together, kept slinging the wires off of the armature, the guy that ran the parts house got tired of me exchanging them and gave me an alternator, never looked back. I doubt, however, that you will ever see the RPM's that my 327 with a solid lift cam was producing. Rebuilding the generator is a good idea.

As far as "one wire's", I've heard people say that you have to rev the motor a bit just to get them started, anyone?

Also, the alternators with internal regulators only require two wires to work, One is 12 volts to the battery (charges the battery), one is 12 volts from the switch(to energize the field), the third wire is for an idiot light(may not be needed). The ignition switch probably has to be a newer switch, because it has to have two terminals marked "ignition", this way when the switch is off those two terminals are not connected to each other, if they were the motor would continue to run because it would be getting a back feed from the field.

10. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

If you think twins on a flat six is the cats ass, you should see the triple set-up on BloodyKnuckles flat six Plymouth. I love when an old Hot Rod doesn't have to have 350/350 to be cool.

11. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

I'm glad to see that most guys are recommending the three wire alternator. It's no harder to wire than anything else. Read your directions (painless wiring details very well how to wire the different types of three wire alternators). The three wire design is best, and allows your alternator to make the appropriate amount of power for what the systems in the car need at the time. Your battery will last longer, the alternator will last longer, and everyone will be happier.

Kevin

12. flatblackstude

flatblackstude
    from carver, ma

The ignition switch probably has to be a newer switch, because it has to have two terminals marked "ignition", this way when the switch is off those two terminals are not connected to each other, if they were the motor would continue to run because it would be getting a back feed from the field.[/quote]

I heard a story of this happening to someone that converted. I'l ned to look into this and see what I need to do. I'd like to be able to shut my car off when I park :)

13. I heard a story of this happening to someone that converted. I'l ned to look into this and see what I need to do. I'd like to be able to shut my car off when I park :)[/quote]
    You can isolate the circuts and keep your stock switch by adding a $2.oo relay......Dont be afraid of wires, Unless there the cloth covered ones that your car origionaly came with.....:eek:

14. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

That manifold set up is pissa. Duel intake duel exhaust.on a flat head 6 so real. You are good.

15. agreed. that is a hot rod engine you got there.

16. 46stude

46stude

Beautiful motor! Good call on leaving it in the car. SBC's are great, but they are not always the best answer.

I'm hanging onto the flathead six outta my Stude truck for a lakes style roadster build somewhere down the line. Seeing yours decked out lets me know I'm gonna love it.....

17. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

I love it!

Have you explored the possibility of milling the head? It may be a simple, inexpensive way to really wake it up. (Just a thought.

Not knocking your motor but what he said really how much can you really wake that motor up. And for that being a hot rod motor i don't see it.:eek:

18. psychobilly57

psychobilly57

Hey, I'm new to this, but I'm glad to see you took good sound advice. We are just finishing a 31 Model A pickup with a 1960 Caddy 390 in it . Another buddy is putting a 1950 Lincoln 337 flathead in a 28 Pontiac. Both of these motors were FREE for the taking. I'm putting a Ford FE 390 in my 54 Ford Gasser. Not free but $50 for the truck block and heads. Also scored a complete 390 for a set of Keystone wheels. The parts aren't as cheap or plentiful as sbc stuff but then it's not like looking at a copy af everyone else's mill. Be original and have fun with something different. Crow

19. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

20. A three wire is far superior to a 1 wire. Not to say that 1 wires don't work, the 3 wire is just better. Read MAD Electrical's explanation as suggested in one of the early posts. As far as not shutting off all you need is a simple diode from Radio Shack or any electronic supply store and problem solved.

21. flatblackstude

flatblackstude
    from carver, ma

22. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

A Mopar alternator is a dependable piece, available everywhere, and has a bit
    of an "antiquated, industrial" look to it.............Would be externally regulated, I believe, like the G M 3 wire....................

23. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

Terrific to see another flat six put back on the road... Nice work.

I used a Mopar chrome alternator on my Plymouth flathead six. It's not "period correct", but I like the way it looks. It is a three wire, and eternally regulated. Very easy to setup, and as mentioned above, a three wire system adjusts for voltage drop at the fuse block.

Pete

Attached Files:

24. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

that engine setup looks awesome.

25. JC_32

JC_32

nice clean up on the motor. I just pulled a 400 out of my 53 and replaced it with a 230 l6. I have a thread on here showing it.
    I kept the stock exhaust man and built a 1 into 2 out to the lakes...
    but the headers would have been sweet too....

26. damn! i was lookin forward to seeing another 350/350 combo! NOT!!
    excellent decision on your part man! lookin good over there..

27. moparcory617

moparcory617
    from tuttle ok

you put all your parts you had laying around together and it actually made a working motor. lol i would end up with a weird looking piece of metal. glad you didnt go 350 350. i am tryin 318 into my chevy but friends are saying no. lol

28. solid

solid

I love 350/350 combos. Run good, and easy to find parts for.

29. if your on a budget then go with a 3 wire, you can get them at a local parts store and their cheaper. personally i don't like the 1 wire because i can't use a warning light only a volt gauge.