Register now to get rid of these ads!

model a troubles 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sinisterrodz, Jan 27, 2009.

1. sinisterrodz

sinisterrodz
    from Sacramento

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I take it that the problem is that you forgot to have the steering in place when you built the headers? OOPS.

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Yeah the problem is that you cant run side steer cause they're in the way of the pitman/draglink, and you cant run cross steer cause they're in the way of the steering shaft. Unless you go all street roddy with the steering joints you've got some adjusting to do to the headers...

4. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

looks like you may have jumped the gun. Get the frame rolling and steering before the headers

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Dont admit to anything and definitely dont put it in writing, but the pic's are dead give away.
    You can probably fix it, at least it is only one side.
    Take a step back and think it thru and work out which way works for you.

6. That frame unboxed and barely welded motor mounts are what got my attention. Just saw some scary methods of grinding in his pictures also (close eyes method).-Weeks

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Well this all can be un-done at this point.
    as mentioned before i would pull the engine , ditch those headers, box that frame, and re-think your steering before you build your exhaust.

you havent gone too far for it to be a complete pain in the ass to un-do.

8. gashog

gashog

You can get by without boxing the frame for a mild flathead build, but you are going to have to get the steering right before you worry about the headers.

9. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

It looks like you have the waterpump mounted directly to the motor mount without any rubber pad..................this will raise the motor up.

If you were planning on using a Vega style box, I think it could be made to work, but you will need to box where the box mounts. It can be dropped down a little to clear. If you weren't going to use a Vega box..............then take the headers off (I assume they were one of your first attempts at building tube headers), put the steering in and then build your headers.

Just my 4 cents worth, but I would box the forward portion of the frame at a minimum as
    stock Model A frames are like "wet noodles", they move around a lot.........................

IMHO

10. yeah everyhing looks just tacked
    just break a few welds put in the steering box and redo
    i think i would make the engine mount a littl differently if it were my car but thats just me
    tk

11. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

i thought this thread was started because the shoddy engine mounts.
    but yea what everybody else said headers should always be the last thing you do.

12. measure twice , cut once

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Hey man, thats kinda how they are around here. But it's cause we ALL want to see your car done and runnin- Everyone gives everyone a hard time you're not the first. Anyway, Criticism helps us get it done RIGHT. Some of these guys ARE the best car builders around. I am not one of them. Peace.

14. goonz55

goonz55
    from Yuba City

To those who were criticizing him for not boxing the frame YET. When I build my frames I build MOST of my mounts, and MOST of my cross members, weld them in and then box the frame into and around your cross members and mounts. To me it seems to make your mounts a whole lot stronger, But then what do I know I'm only a top certified frame technician. Don't let these guys ruin your motivation, keep on keepin on!

15. Check his pics on his profile. He is a kid it appears and needs some guidance. I am not close enough. But you are so PM him. I am guessing you guys might have met already anyway since your both from Yuba City. I and others only pointed out what we see in the pics. I agree with you about having everything solid but how do you change things up on the chassis if you make all the mounts boxed within the frame? A lot of guys change things up. The only thing I can think of is once you decide after welding your mounts inside the frame and boxing them in solid is to box over what you have later on if you change it up as in forward or back on the rails. Then you have your mounts outside the boxed rails just like everyone else.-Weeks

16. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

break em off, and start over. BOX THE FRAME!!! They twist, and are flimsy. You dont even wanna know how many times iv had my car down the the frame after mounting the body to re-do things i thought were "ok"

Its really not that big of a deal, just more work. When its done though, you'll have a feeling of completion, knowing that its done right, and ya dont hafta worry about it any more.

17. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

I am guessing this is the first car you have built?:cool:

If you post things here you will get opinions, get at thicker skin and read the good advice that is also there.:)

We don't all know everything. There are people out there that are helping you even if they critisize you they also offer GOOD advice:D

18. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

You need all the advice you can get, and you need to listen to that advice. Motor mounts are going to bend and snap off with those booger welds, your doors are going to pop open due to flex in the chassis, your headers are in the way and you got no way to steer.

Off to a good start!

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

Cowl steering?

20. Yep, the look is much more important than the engineering. ;)

21. PollockzRodz

PollockzRodz

Are you BlueBear from Boyd Codingtons American Hot Rod TV Show?? haha This just seemed like the same problems. I say listen to the others on this site man Just because they say to do something doesnt mean you have to do it but when everyone says the same thing like boxing the frame and motor mounts It usually means you should look into these things. Hell Im only a kid and build rods but when it comes to safety that is top of the list. Ohh and I say Cowl steering! You cant go wrong with a nice cowl pitman arm setup! -Jon

22. HotRod33

HotRod33

I am building a 31 sedan and during the mockup of it I have had to change alot of things...how many other cars have you completly built...? Sometime we all need advice and you do need advice on your motor mounts and unboxed frame.....

23. Mr Sinisterrodz...You may take all this as criticism but in reality,they are just saving your life...be thankful!!!!

24. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

"I've been doing this my whole life".
    That says it all. Take the heat, listen to your elders, put in the motor mount rubbers when doing the mockup, and get it right.
    If your poor welding dropped YOUR flathead on YOUR steering and sent YOUR car into MY yard and ran over MY dog, cat, child, wife, YOU would be sorry, wouldn't YOU?
    I thought not, it would be MY fault for having pets and getting married and living there so YOU would be exposed to MY dangerous living situation, right? I thought so.

25. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

well they say you get smarter with age and experience. so if you have been doing this your whole life , and you are putting bubble gummy welds on a semi pointless, weak motor mount?? :eek::eek: i would hate to see the shit you were doing when you were learning, you expert :rolleyes:

26. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

If you would like some help I'm sure I could come down sometime when I'm in Sacramento or headed that way..............with that said, here are some pictures during the build of my Model A frame. I used a Vega quick ratio box partially for the handling, but really like the look of cowl steering on the Model A body. I have been building headers since my early drag racing days.............it just takes practice and patience.
    Let me know how I can help.

Attached Files:

27. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I think that you guys pissed him off.

Here is some info about him:

28. Thought I would put this up since he wants to talk and delete what he said. Safety is of the upmost concern bud, thats what we all are talking about here. As far as your F off attitude find somewhere else for that.-Weeks
    [​IMG]

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

No safety glasses, no gloves, no pants..well shorts ..and hes grinding?..wonder when hes going to post some ignorant injury..Dude you serously need some safety training..let alone how to build.
    now dont go getting your panties all in a bunch..these guys as well as I are only trying to help you and bring you into the fold of building things safely and the right way..grow some skin and read and watch before you open your mouth..
    amazing what you can learn from a picture. if this is how unsafe he works..an unsafe car is probably the outcome..I dont want myself or anyone I love anywhere near this car when it gets out on the road

in his words "fuck off"..ok tuff guy...lol

Pasadenahotrod probably has his responsiblity montra nailed!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009