Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 150 4dr Utility Sedan Checking in!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57BUDDii, Jan 9, 2009.

1. 57BUDDii

57BUDDii
    from Colorado

I just had to show my sense of humor on the title of this post.

I hear fab32 LOUD & CLEAR!!!! I too have been exposed to the purist extremists groups that know more than the folks that engineered and/or designed the cars. Not trying to discuss the level of detail like windshield washer to water ratio or the viscosity of grease applied to the pilot bearing in the crank. No one should have to endure such punishment :)

I couldn't poke a hot rodder in the eye, because I would have to poke myself first! I have had my share of hot rods: 340 Duster, 340 Cuda, 440 Road Runner, 455 65 Chevy step-side and currently own a 68 Charger. The 57 MYSTERY 4dr is a conversation piece. May not be yours, but I'm interested.

So, if you enjoy a different read...... and can overlook the 4drs, inline 6 and poor choice of colors...... come on back! Never know, I could make this a 4dr black widow and drop a crate motor in it!

BUDDii

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

no it's you that don't get it.if you want to cut ,chop ,slam,put a rat motor in it,air ride the pig, make it a 2 door,we're all in,,,but to drone on and on about the purpose the builder intended,we don't give a rats butt. it's wasting hamb bandwidth. and boring as hell.i told you on your intro.it's a friggin 4 door sedan and that's it.if you think it has a golden spoon built in somewhere ,take it to barret jackson's. we do traditional hotrodding here...we don't care what that fabric on the wheel well was intended for..period.

3. henry29

henry29

Well, I was enjoying this thread.

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I didn't know this place had a "badwidth police" I thought it was like TV, it has knobs you can turn it on, turn it off or turn the channel or not open a thread that does not interest you. Maybe we should tax bandwith abusers...............

5. Tony

Tony

OR, you could just not read his post's if you don't care for what he has, and maybe let the guy enjoy his car a bit..

6. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

Hey I have an idea, why don't you go away if you are not interested. This guy is just trying to find out why his car was built different than the others, he does not think that his car "has a golden spoon built in it somewhere". He is merely a curious person looking for answers. Did you ever think that maybe its you that "don't get it"???

7. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

maybe you as well need to read the rules as to what the hamb is..traditional hotrodding...not comparing correctly place trivets over and over..and yes it's about bandwidth.why do you think there is no posting on adds?

8. Tony

Tony

So that other people's add's don't keep getting bumped 5 pages back.

9. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i ran his vin twice..it's not different,it's a 4 door sedan that someone removed the rear seats...period. he's been told this and totally ignores it.

sometimes you just need to admit.....it is what it is and all the asking in the world is not going to make that car a 4 door utility...they never made one.

10. 57BUDDii

57BUDDii
    from Colorado

Heny 29 and those reading/enjoying the thread.....Thanks/Welcome.

Not too sure what we can say to Kraig, (AKA hotrod-Linkin)......
    He says the site seeks nothing but: "cut ,chop ,slam,put a rat motor in it,air rid...." and "we do traditional hotrodding here.." but looking at the 19 posts he has started, I fail to see that he is really doing any of what he claims the site is about. I personally know that he has 4 negative pots on me alone! Of the 491 posts, how many of them are negative. He has only recieved 110 replies in his pots. My two posts have 25+ replies.

So, Kraig, please help us all out and start adding value to the site.

Show us your HOT ROD, your project, and let me know when the last time you screwed a slick to a steel wheel?

BUDDii, with 40+ years of hotrodding and a 3rd generation hotrodder!

11. 57BUDDii

57BUDDii
    from Colorado

Kraig, AKA hotrod-Linkin,

Thanks for running my VIN. The VIN on a 57 Chevy only tells you a limited amount about the car... AK57 is broad and wide; the cowl tag gives us better description.

So,it is the COWL tag data that is important.

BUDDii

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  12. T-Roy

T-Roy

It's a cool car / conversation piece and I'm interested in this thread as well. And maybe learn something along the way. If you don't like this thread, there are plenty of others to keep you busy.

So Budii, on with the thread...

13. 57BUDDii

57BUDDii
    from Colorado

Troy,

Thanks for the support.
    I checked out your photos the other day.... partial to the 65 Impala you had. I had one that I actually was able to take the motor out (what not a stock discussion) and put a 327 in it. I would have posted that, but back in 1977, we didn't have the internet to do such a thing. I would have posted that I replaced the 2sp power slide every 3 -4 months. They were $25 and I didn't care that I rapped them up by shifting out of first at 85 mph. Those were the days. And yes, we had the "Bottle" back then....and had a gas! Now I just ramble on about inline 6 chevies to the girls! :)

Take care... BUDDii

14. It's fun as hell seeing an old '57 get discussed like this. The fact that you are researching this car like you are isn't a case of anal-retentive Corvette types - it's an effort to find out something of the history of the car! Plain and simple - like any enthusiast would do, whether you were doing a ground-up resto, or sticking in a crate engine, cage, and a four-link and going racing with it!

I love hearing about this, personally!

15. 57BUDDii

57BUDDii
    from Colorado

Pat Trick 66....

Do you still have the 56 Plymouth Suburban 2dr wagon?
    If so, what are your plans?
    I see that you scored a '58 Chevy Yeoman wagon in TX.
    Any pics of it coming soon?

Sweet 37 Terraplane.

[​IMG]

Note: the 37 is compliance with the members agreement! :) "The Atomic Industry forums are for the discussion of vintage cars, motorcycles, garages and the related."

16. The '56 is in the body shop as we speak. It's going to get a '69 440 engine in the Spring, once it's back home from the bodyman.

The deal on the '58 didn't happen, but that's OK.

The Terraplane will get a split manifold and dual exhausts with Smithy mufflers sometime in the very near future!

Thanks for the words!

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Can the Colorado DMV do a title/owner search to see if maybe a company of some kind originally owned it? That may give some sort of history to start with. Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

can someone post what the rear of a 57 utility looks like and give some details. I know there was a flat floor but was it wood, steel or ? with a vinyl cover or was it carpet ?? and were the side panels factory panels (like on a normal car)

19. 57BUDDii

57BUDDii
    from Colorado

Butch,

Great idea/suggestion....
    I have done CO DMV title searches in the past, but not an exhaustive one. I did it to find last owner in order to apply for bond title. I will look into the options in CO. The may only be able to trace back their records.

But, I picked this car up in Kansas..... the seller was selling with no title or with title. I questioned it and then asked him what is the difference. He said he could go to the state capital and pick up a title....the little but was $100. So, knowing it would be easier for him to do it than me to drag it back to CO and do it, I said sure. It was a no brainer.

So I will start with Kansas and see what they can do. Sure hope I can do it via mail.

Again, thanks for the support and ideas.

BUDDii

20. 57BUDDii

57BUDDii
    from Colorado

Here is the 55 build and instructions for the 2dr Sedan Deliver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you would like a better hi res copy, send me a PM with your email address you want me to send them too.

These documents are great for comparing what folks have out there......

BUDDii

21. 57BUDDii

57BUDDii
    from Colorado

For those who don't know what the "Black Widow" baseline back seat look like, here are two versions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Thanks, I asked as I may install a rollbar in mine and would remove the rearseat if I did and install a tonneau cover, but under i would like something like you posted for when I did road trips, (like to bonneville)

are the mats and panels available as Repops

23. 57BUDDii

57BUDDii
    from Colorado

Boones, I havn't looked into the panels on the sides....sides, but the pattern could be used from stock interior panels. If not, they sell the press board to make your own interiors. I guess one could paint them black. I would buy the press board and cut them out.

I have been looking for the rear mat myself.

Good luck on the road trips and your next bonneville!!! :D :D)
    BUDDii

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  24. 57BUDDii

57BUDDii
    from Colorado

......Speaking of Barret Jackson! :eek:

Here is what sold for $165,000 on Friday!
    I have to laugh, it is a plain jane 150 with a six cyl. :D

[​IMG]

BUDDii

25. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Yep!

26. Not really a joke. I think this is the one with serial # 2. The second one ever built. If you want bragging rights, this would be it, six banger or not.

27. 57BUDDii

57BUDDii
    from Colorado

mr57,

Not laughing at the car...... but rather my car. It was recommended that I take it to Barret Jackson! My car won't even pull 10% of the price this one took in. We all have our skills and pocket books; mine aren't that deep to even attend the auction. I have watched the auction at times and enjoy the cars. Friends of mine like watching it like others watch the NFL. Can't turn a wrench or throw a ball; but they can give some GREAT advice!.

I ended up getting this car with two 6 cyl motors; to make my life time total of 3 six bangers. So, I may tuck the stock engine stuff away and have fun with the 2nd 6 cyl. I can run with the trick 6 until I get to old....... NEVER! What was I thinking! :)

So, any suggestions out there for this? FI, multiple carbs......

BUDDii

28. I have a 150 wagon, not much other than a bare body and frame. What's there is decent, but the car was robbed of its' powertrain in 1974 for a hardtop build. It's a shame since the car was a 283 pp, 3 spd o/d, 4.11 posi car. I have since picked up 2 rebuilt 6's - a 235 with a glide for free, and a 0 miles 261 for $200. I also snagged another 150, a four door sedan with near mint sheetmetal for $100. I plan to put this together sometime for a beater wagon with cut coils in the front and blocks in the back. Stock wheels with spider caps or factory 150 hubcaps. Maybe a 5 speed if I use the 261. Nothing fancy, but decent fuel mileage. 150's don't need much to be real cool.

29. 57BUDDii

57BUDDii
    from Colorado

You said it, there are some mean looking 150 wagons out there and it doesn't take much..... They are the best sleepers out there for the trifives. I read a cool article on HAMB were a guy is building his own custom FI for his straight 6; I wish I remembered the link. It has me thinking about doing a custom setup. Not only to be out of the box, but to get me to really, I mean really understand FI. Even thinking about building custom covers like the newer cars to cover up the engine and air intake system. I have some time yet on the powerplant...still in a holding pattern on the tear down. I don't like the cold too much anymore.

BUDDii