Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hammed by Ice Storms in W KY/OK/AR/MO

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustahaulic, Jan 29, 2009.

1. I just wanted to put up a thread for those of us HAMBers HAMMERED by ice and snow in the Winter storm Tues and Wed that rolled through OK, AR, S. MO, relentlessly for the last 48 hrs...
    If I'm outta touch for the next couple days with those of you I talk to frequently or with the people I'm doing business with classified wise, I'll be back in Paducah Monday hopefully, IF they have the power restored, there are currently about a million people w/o power and countless 10's of thousands displaced due to this ice storm, including myself, I evacuated after a 36 hour ordeal of trying to find gasoline, dodging falling iced covered trees and closed streets and a plethora of clueless to winter driving individuals who had no choice but also no business driving(scary)...
    I got out of town and hit the road aa little after dark in my (leaking waterpump) truck, with my K9, a bag of clothes and a load of parts for the Stoned River Swapmeet Sunday in Nashville and came on down to Guitar town and am staying with friends till then...
    I wish everybody caught in this mess good luck....I am thankful for getting out and having good people to help me in my time of need...<God Bless>

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

best wishes to all affected. remember, we no longer refer to it as "global warming", it is now officially called "climate change" . And we are getting COLDER!

3. My mom over in Dexter,Mo. just got their power back on today around 2 pm. She lost several trees which of course fell on the new shed she just had put up. She was stubburn and stayed in the house refusing to go to a shelter.
    Good luck everyone

4. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Ironic you should post this as I've just figured out why the guy I'm dealing with in KY for a 8" rear has not gotten back with me yet. Be careful I've heard ice is tricky stuff to deal with.

5. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

i was out of power/ heat for 2 weeks 2 years ago wit that ice storm. this one wasn't as bad here but a lot worse just over the border in ark. they def have my sympathy.

6. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I live in Eastern Kentucky, and about 11:30 Tuesday night we lost our electricity from the Ice Storm, trees fell over left and right. Flooded Wednesday day, then came a blizzard after all the salt was washed off the roads while everyone was out buying all the D-batteries, candles, and bread (Myself included). Governor declared a State of Emergency.

Had no power in the garage, and half of it has an inch of water in it (Didn't get into anything luckily)

Electricity came back on today around 3 or 4. Some people still don't have power, and most internet and long distance is screwed up.

7. We had a couple of ice storms in 07 here in SW MO - were without power for a week
    or more each time. Trees down all over the place, etc. Had to stay elsewhere
    in town....some areas never lost power....with a friend one time, at a relative's
    house the next. We're heading for Nashville in the morning (Fri) to visit my
    mother in law....plan to attend the swap meet on Sun. Wonder if anyone
    down there has any 47 Plymouth parts......not always easy to find around here.
    I hope they get the electric restored soon in the storm areas....best of
    luck to everyone in those locations.

8. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

Monday we are supposed to get a mild snow and ice storm in lower TN so it looks like the jet stream is only going to keep coming south, making it worse and worse above TN. Hope you guys get out of it soon.

9. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

I live 20 miles north of louisville, power went out tuesday night, got it back friday about 4pm. Lived here 50 years, worst ice storm on record. Lots of people they are saying might be 2 weeks with no power. Trees down everywhere, the ones standing are covered in ice.

10. brandon

brandon

there was a guy up here yseterday buying firewood....drove up here to get a generator because none being avalible down there....pretty crazy deal.....even crazier deal , our local bank has been off line for 2 days because their server or whatever it is , is located in paducah ....withut power..... brandon :D

11. We lost power Tuesday evening. Burning wood in the fireplace and powering a few essentials, like our computers, off generator power. The city of Jonesboro has restored power to most homes and businesses. But we are on the electric cooperative and it could be tomorrow for us or late next week. Fortunately, we have friends with power nearby and we can take showers and do laundry. No car building right now. Spending most of my time running for generator gas or splitting firewood. We are lucky. Much worse a few miles North of us.

12. ktscustom

ktscustom

we lost power for a few hours, but lost alot of trees.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

13. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

Walnut tree came down across the driveway. Missed my nonhamb friendly car by about 18 inches. The whole thing fell over, ripped out at the roots. The kids were out of school everyday this week. The power stayed on here.:rolleyes:

14. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

haha...yeah......name change aint gettin my propane bill any lower!!!!

15. brandon

brandon

you got that right.....amazing how propane at the house cost more than oil at the shop.....:rolleyes:

16. I live just west of Springfield, MO and went through the ice storm thing 2 years ago. Until you have lived it you can not even imagine all the stuff that is happening. When our deal took place it was at night and you could hear the trees cracking and popping all around your house and laying there wondering if they were falling on your house or other things in your yard. Our little dog was going nuts going from one end of the house to the other. We were very fortunate, our van had a tree fall on it and we had a little damage to the house and lost all but one of our trees. we were without power for 4 days but we stayed in our house and I am here to tell you it was cold.
    I feel for all the people that are going through it now and wish them all the best. It for sure is an ordeal that they will never forget.
    Good luck! Later,
    Dick

17. oneredryderone

oneredryderone

been trying to phone friends in cadiz/ trigg county,ky since wed morning...figger they're in a 'shelter' or w/ wood burning neighbors, keeping warm til power is restored. [last spoke w/ them tues evening, at-that-time they had 1/2 of ice. trees, and limbs littering the yard, and they were still hearing more limbs 'dropping'.]
    red ryder

18. primed34

primed34

Missed us by 15 miles. It's amazing what a couple degrees difference can make. The stores and gas stations are covered up with people from across the state line. They flat got hammered.

19. 53floored

53floored
    from kansas

Just over 3 years ago hear we had a big ice storm and yeah the sound of trees snapping sounding like gun shots is a lil freaky I guess I dont understand why they dont bury pwerlines in some places so stuff like this isnt so wide spread.

20. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

We just got power back this morning. It's a bitch trying to load up a wife, kid and 3 dogs in the dark. Oh well, I'm just thankful it's back on. (It is UFC fight night)

21. Thanks all for the thoughts and the empathy, I just got a phone call from my next door neighbor that my shop lights are back on...guess my juice is back on running up my bill while I'm not there...perfect!lol...but he said it's been in and out...still lots of people (not me) in a REAL BAD WAY!...However the K9 and are are FINE, we've been busy in Nashville and got set up for the Stonesriver Swapmeet today...if your in attendence tomorrow...stop by and say hello...(I'm in the 3 spots between the bathrooms and the ATM...

22. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

It missed me by 15 miles also and I really feel for everyone effected by the ice. I have been in a couple of ice storms where the power has been off for over a week and its no fun at all. Glad to hear that things are starting to move forward again.

23. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I work for the local newspaper company. We're currently sitting on several un-confirmed stories of death and destruction that were caused by the storm. Lots of stories of "little old ladies" living in trailer homes in the sticks who froze to death. A couple stories of whole families wiped out. Hopefully they turn out to be false. Lines of communication are still down and lots of roads are im-passable, so we just dont know enough facts to put it into print...... Hopefully a lot of bologna and hype.

I do know that E-Town Ky still has 1/2 it's residents without power, and no water service in the whole city. Leitchfield Ky. was completely 100% shut down. No water, power, fuel, food....... Scarry. Hope everyones ok. :eek:

24. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny, but I haven't seen any stories about FEMA not showing up.

25. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

For FEMA to spring into action, the president has to declare an emergency.

For the prez to declare, the governor has to declare.

For the governor to declare, the mayors of individual cities/towns have to:
    #1, exhaust all local resources
    #2, exhaust all state resources [under their control]
    #3, exhaust all federal resources [within their juristiction that are approved by the governor]
    #4, once all the above criteria has been met, then the mayor declares.

For the most part, we have been holding our own. While some poeple out there consider us "country bumpkins", we are a rather resourcefull bunch. We look out for our own and actually care about our neighbors. Lots of us still have wood burning stoves and still can our own food.

If such a disaster were to strike Los Angeles or Atlanta, the death toll would probably be measured in the thousands... But we are tough... The ice will melt, the chain saws will come out, the roads will getr cleared... We will clean up the mess and get on with life.

I wont joke about it... It is really bad, but it's not like Katrina wiping out New Orleans.

26. SLAMED 59

SLAMED 59

27. brandon

brandon

didn't the governor already declare that ...?

28. caceo

caceo

Best of luck to all of you out there dealing with the storms.... our thoughts and prayers are with you~ stay safe!!

29. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Yes he did, but he didn't request FEMA assistance. He requested federal assistance as far as manpower and money only.

30. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

I'm in Elizabethtown, 45 miles south of Louisville. I live in the city limits and we only lost power for a few hours. Woke up the morning after and only one radio station in the county was on and the cell phones were very iffy. Whole county lost water pressure. Went to Cracker Barrel for lunch with friends who had been without power and wanted some hot food and they were serving on paper plates with plastic forks -- couldn't wash dishes because of low water.

Yesterday my wife's family from Sonora, 20 miles south, came up to get their first hot showers in days. Firewood and generators keep the body warm, but getting clean is a different matter! They still don't have power.

We got hit a the "sampler pack" of winter precepitation: sleet, freezing rain, then show. It was close enough to 1" total for me. Here's what was on top of my pickup:
    [​IMG]

This was a nice little maple tree at the end of my deck:
    [​IMG]

Some folks are saying we'll be out of school all week, but who knows. Met a guy who had brought in 25 powerline crews -- he was only one of a bunch of out-of-state contractors helping.

We helped at the Red Cross shelter last night. Nearly 400 people went through.

Yep, it's a mess.

Good news is most folks are holding up well, neighbors helping neighbors, and folks acting the way they should.