Register now to get rid of these ads!

A very tuff decision

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60srailjob, Jan 29, 2009.

1. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Well I lost my major source of income the first week of January. I need the advice of my fellow HAMB'ers. I am going into the second month not paying shop rent. I have three project in the shop one is my son one is a old shop truck and the other is a car I found before my dad past away,and a lot of old items I collected over a period of ten years. Do I try to stay not doing any substantial business from there more personal or sell alot of things and move what I can in a one car garage? I'm kinda sick to my stomach. My wife thinks I should hold on a little longer as well as our son. I am trying to be positive but it's hard. So I would like your opinion.

2. tr12

tr12

sounds like alot of history floating around that shop.if youre like me,its very sedimental history,and i wouldnt let that go for anything.

3. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

Talk to the shop owner & tell him of your problem, maybe you two can work something out. Good Luck.

Lucky667

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It sounds like you have a great support group, your family, and that's a good thing. It also sounds like you have a lot of nice things. I'd at least stick it out for a while before I started getting rid of stuff.

I hope things get better for you. Just please be strong. The small business owner is the back bone of this country. If you guys fail, we all do.

5. gold5000000

gold5000000

How much does the shop truck mean to you, if its alot than never mind but if not i say sell it and keep the rest of the stuff in the shop off the money you get from the truck. Not even necessarily the truck but which ever one means the least to you. I know it wont be easy but when times are tough a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do to keep afloat
    Thats my opinion hope it helps

6. Was your major source of income another job? Is this a hobby shop, or your daily business?
    A friend and I got to talking about all the things we had stored in the garage, and hanging on the walls, etc.
    Alot of the stuff was cool as hell, some of it quite rare.
    As we talked, it came to be that neither of us really needed all this stuff, and it was just purchased for the "might need it one day" project.
    So it turned from stuff on the shelf to stacks of hundred dollar bills sitting on the shelf. Look at those valve covers..$100, carbs, $200, intake $200..etc.

We both have sold alot of this extra stuff. It puts cash in the hand for other things, and it did not affect either of our projects.

I would be hesitant to sell anything of true sentimental value, but it might be time to lighten the load. Especially if you have to move.
    If you are not using a large shop space to generate income, but just to store stuff, I'd consider downsizing.
    In your area, you may be able to buy a cargo container, or old truck box to put your stuff in on your property.
    Good luck in whatever it is you decide to do.