Register now to get rid of these ads!

For ALL You FNG's...How'd You Find The HAMB?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krooser, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Trust me, I had a 235 when I joined-there's all kinds of threads on inlines, various speedparts (or lack thereof) for inlines, and 'how much hp can I get out of an inline?" threads, a few of which were started by me. Of course, I went to the darkside and dropped a 350 in my car later. Can't say I regret it.

As for 'oldtimers' posting, I get all riled up by the newness of most things and eventually my interest just tapers off and I do my thing on my time and dime.

working a deskjob also helps:D

2. krooser

krooser

My first post was a classified ad... you can imagine how much crap I took from the locals... man what a bad way to start over here.... but I learned FAST!.

3. 43gman

43gman
    from NC

I’ve actually been around, off and on, since 1998. I, too, get turned off by all the ego stuff, and usually drop away after some self proclaimed group of experts and/or “old timers” look down their snoot at some poor slob, like me, that often just doesn’t have a clue. I joined a couple of years ago, and was trying to tough it out to the magical point beyond “FNG”. It was during this time that I got flamed so badly on a couple of relatively naive posts that I quit, again. I am not a young man. I am sixty five years old. I graduated from high school in 1961. I mention this because I have quite a bit of 1950’s and 1960’s car knowledge, most of which came, because I “was there”, so to speak. But I’m also inexperienced in many areas of car building, and learn something new every day, (or try to.) There is plenty of good information, here. Unfortunately, we have to wade through the snotty attitudes to find it.

<p>And yeah, all the labels, “FNG”, “Newbie”, “Member”, etc. are prone to more “mine is bigger than yours” thinking. Classic case, a member states he doesn’t like being labeled “F--in’ New Guy”, and someone in the group has to tell him how to “quit whining. . . blah, blah.”. Or some guy asks how to become a certain level of poster, and instead some other “expert” suggests he should REALLY be asking how to become and “Alliance Member”, as if we don’t all know how to do that. Interestingly enough, though Ryan and Company insist in the “Sticky” that profanity is frowned upon, they sort of give a “wink and a nod” and use “F” as in “FNG”, and tolerate all grades of profane pictures, avatars, and language.

<p>I was also in the military, but about ninety percent of that “annoying s***” was just plain dumb. The guys that I respected, learned from, and grew to love, were the ones that could put their egos aside, reach out a helping hand, and give an encouraging word.

<p>I’m with the guys that accept their current status as “FNG”, knowing its just a name. I’ll probably stay around for another while, mostly lurking, as that is where I find myself most comfortable. I'll close with an interesting thought, though: imagine how much knowledge, information, and how many ideas are going by the wayside because somebody is intimidated, embarrassed, or just plain angry at being badly treated?

<p>Thanks for asking for my views.

4. RAG66

RAG66
    from WASHINGTON

Said it once & I'll say it till they understand. Hot rod is an activity having to do with ingenuity, performance , & the love of most old cars. Well the cool ones at least. Some would say only the pre war & to late fiftys. But what about sprints, drags etc. ? I'm a hamber w/ ot 66 impala and I just can't quit. :(

5. modeltford

modeltford

Found the HAMB & Garage Journal about the same time thru a couple posts on Shoeboxford.com - really enjoy the traditional look and the amazing abilities of some of the members - learned a lot just lurking, try to post if I think I can help someone.

Rich

6. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

When looking for info when I was building my old '29 A pickup, the HAMB was always there on the search engines. Gave good advice, so I joined a while after I finished it. All the FNG stuff doesn't bother me. It's only words after all. I do take time to read the posts I'm interested in, and 99% of the time, what I would say has already been said, so I keep quiet and avoid the flames. I've never been a 'me too' poster just to get my count up.

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Fords-and-fatboys....ha ha ha ha ha....what an avatar....ha ha ha ha!!!!

8. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Community service requirement...

9. superglide

superglide

my dad told me about the hamb. he has been in the early idlers car club forever, and a member of the pontiac oakland club. he ahs a 40 pontiac he built a long time ago and working on a 34 pontiac now. im still racing them ol fender cars in circles and helping him when i can. this place is great. lots of info, cool cars and some cool cats

10. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

one word GOOGLE. in my search for a model A 5window coupe one day i came across the hamb while doing a google search. i still dont have a model A but iv got this board and i wont be going anywhere sense theres plenty to learn and plenty of people here to learn from.

11. VonDust

VonDust

How did I get signed onto the HAMB?
    Well, I've known about it for about 5 or 6 years since my dad (Mercdeuceman) signed on, then my mom (RunaroundSue). I swore I would never sign up because... well I'd rather not say. There is ALOT of usefull info on here, and there is also some bullshit.
    I was looking for a '49 Chevy bumper-et to go on the rear bumper of my '55 Desoto. I ran into BobK at a car thing. Him and my family were having some lunch when he told me he had like three of these bumper-ets. He said he would hook me up with one only if I were to sign up on here. So I did, and I got my bumper... damn you BobK :rolleyes::D

12. Well I bought a car on eBay, came with this funny looking engine that sounded bad ass! Google told me it was a "flathead". Every time I did a Google search for more information HAMB posts would have all the answers. I don't know anyone up here that can help me so I rely on the HAMB 100%!

13. RodE

RodE
    from Houston

I found this place some years back while looking for traditional rides. any who I signed up to lurk, use the tech info available, and watch the art show every Friday. I'm not an all day'er like some. Some of the guys must have great jobs or work from home. I don't have the luxury of posting all day with out getting fired. but I look and listen as much as possible. I learn more that way. so what exactly is FNG? like I said they don't let me out very often. any who I'll be around as long as the sites running.I love it here. Seems to be good people with lots of skill and knowledge.

14. PK

PK
    from Ohio

I had been googling vintage sprinters when I came across this site. Just like a lot of previous posters I lurked about for a bit... I found the vintage sprint car thread and have been posting when I have something of value to add. The H.A.M.B. chapel is a plus.
    PK

15. Deuce76063

Deuce76063

I have known about HAMB for 5 years or so. Don't remember how I found it. Just signed up a few days ago though. Stupid me didn't really read it much before and realize how many members there were back in DFW, Austin, etc. Missed out on a lot of fun out there. Now I'm in central Florida and don't know anyone out here. The good news is that there is Old Town a few miles away, Plant City has some good gatherings, I hear, too. I get to go to Billetproof, Big Daddy's, and the Ferrari show in Naples next month. The best part is that it isn't freaking cold here!. Glad to be a member and look forward to getting out and meeting some of the locals.
    Bob

16. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

FNG = fargin' new guy. I'm still a newbie, so don't feel bad!
    I really like the Friday Art Show and all the old stories & photos everyone digs up. Found this place through TJJ.

17. Geez, tough-up! No one has the right not to be offended.

18. jrod60

jrod60
    from Katy, TX

The Hot Rod article about the BFD got me to look here. Mostly I lurk, oogle pictures, and think, "man I wish I could fab like that!" Not having a suitably aged vehicle anymore keeps me from spending all day on here.

J

19. I heard about it from a friend from Austin (Steve Wertheimer or Schuyler Funlton, I can't remeber). We've been on the scene for about 9 or 10 years now and it all started with Marti Brom, Los Straitjackets and Devil Doll with some help from Tom Imgram and Obie Hughes.
    My wife and I have been working our ass' off on our careers and rasing 2 kids and we lost track of where we were really wanted to go.
    Now that our is out of college and getting ready to go into the Navy and daughter getting ready for college we're starting to thinking of just us now. We are starting to get back to the things we love, Music, Cars, Motorcycles, Beer, Jack and Cigars.
    So I reckon that we'll be here for a while. You may see more activity here during working hours than on the weekends. We're probably out riding, cruzin or just out in the garage.
    Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  20. snelson57

snelson57

Called an ad off of CL for a highboy truck project and he told me that he had also listed it on the HAMB. The what?

21. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

This chick I knew had it tattooed on her butt....seriously!

22. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Re: For ALL You FNG's...How'd You Find The HAMB?

flashlight!

23. Philbilly

Philbilly

I found the hamb throught the jockey journal. I joined there and then joined the hamb. I plan on staying here for awhile. I don't have a hot rod right now, but am currently looking.

24. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Internet search for technical info kept bringing me to HAMB over and over....

Was a little obscure and OT on my last build which was my son's 1966 Mustang, since I have started back on my 39, I have done a little more than just lurking and gleaning information.

I wish Al Gore had invented the internet earlier, I could have used the HAMB 25 or 30 years ago when I first started "building" my 39...

Might have saved me some grief, and it would have been nice to know that it actually is possible to weld sheet metal apart from oxy-acetylene... of which I managed to warp the hell out of everything I touched...

25. crashbox

crashbox

Was looking for information on the Revolution. Rex Rods had a hot button to the JJ-HAMB.

26. 64gal

64gal

I heard about it on the FE Ford forum.Since I became a member I bought a 31 model A frame,a 51 8ba,stock front axle and spring,stock rear spring and a 35 ? rear axle.I dont say much,but I enjoy learning from people who do more with less.Thank you all,regards,Tom

27. NAES

NAES

Found the next car I wanted to build and started googling images. Found this unbelievable bit of craftsmanship and started lurking.

[​IMG]
    Joined a little bit ago because I needed to start finding answers to questions that wern't asked yet.

NAES
    still without the 49-51 chevy but getting there.

28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I just slide in ................. steve

29. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

No longer an FNG but I found a link on the Hot Rod Church for sinners Website, wish we had a chapel around here.

30. idle hands

idle hands
    from sarasota

i heard of it on a different forum,they said there were a bunch of crotchety old guys here. they were right. but i love it, so much great info. im going to stay but i don't think im going to post much or do a build thread. just going to research and learn