Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. rustyrail

rustyrail

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Excellent, thanks for the Info Bill. Both cars are Beautiful!

JD

3. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I see. I was talking to a local old timer yesterday. He was just telling me he remembered seeing his first F.I. car in the late 50's at a track in P.A. when he was in the service and everyone was running carbs. He said that after everybody realized what this guy was running that they wanted to pretty much kill this guy calling him a cheat, amongst other things...(things have'nt changed much when an outsider goes to a local yocal track, I guess). And ran him off after the first heat throwing his entry at him and teling him to never come back, sounds like some back woods tracks down in KY , and Alabama I've been to. Was just curious as to it's roots, I love hearing/reading stories about trial and error beginings of stuff that has become the norm now adays.. And the true pioneers that brought on such things..This old timer had a ton of stories, a true wealth of info on the early days of racing/hot-rodding. He considers OHV engines the end of hot rodding (not really just loves early engines), he runs bangers in everything he owns, T speedsters are his thing. I've lived in my nieghborhood for 10 years and never knew he existed till I saw a 47 Ford for sale in his driveway.. He showed me around his place and I was blown away by his collection. No pic's as of yet he would'nt let me "till he has more doin's with me" (his words).. So to all us younger guys (ok I'm 39, but still a young pup considering the age of this lifestyle/hobby) with a passion for knowledge and true know how. Keep a keen eye and ear open you may never know what just happens beyond turn 1....

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Well, f.i. has never been a low budget deal, on the local level it was probably still considered quite exotic back in the late 50s. Chet Wilsons "Offy Killer" started out, in that time frame, as a 3 duce setup. I imagine the F.I. Offy guys got their panties in a bunch, when he whipped up on them though. :)

5. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I'm sure, as any grass roots kinda guys would be..

6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Here's the lineup for a AAA heat race at Dayton in 1954. On the pole is Mike Nazaruk in Mutt Anderson's No. 3, with Don Freeland on the outside in No. 4. Second row is Gene Force in No. 74 and Eddie Sachs in the Cheeseman No. 25. In the third row, Pat O'Connor in No. 1 and Larry Crockett at the wheel of Charlie Engle's No. 31. Photo by Ray Peterson, from the Skip Peterson Collection...

[​IMG]

7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

9. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

10. Some interesting photos, Rags to Richs:

First time I've seen a photo labeled from the Hillsboro, OR track.

The second photo is a guy named Johnny Adams after a tough looking spill at Aurora Stadium (Playland), in Seattle. I think I'm right in remembering that his real name was Wayne Gaffney.

Third photo is Frenchy Dubois at Aurora, circa 1946.

Fourth photo is the fatal accident of Val Hoyt, from Portland, at Aurora in 1946. Val's midget was the no. 45. Bud Green was the no. 64.

11. Having some trouble with a few of the photos in the second batch. I'll delete the ones I don't know and ask Mel Anthony. But, on the ones I have an idea on:

The no. 21 big car is Pike Green at Portland Speedway.

I believe the second shot is of Val Hoyt, from Portland, who lost his life at Seattle in 1946.

The third looks like Bob Gregg, from Vancouver, WA, circa 1946. "Barefoot Bob", "Bullet Bob", he raced for decades in the northwest in all forms of cars.

I've seen the no. 17 photo before with a question mark on it. It's from Portland Speedway. Behind is the no. 2 Del Fanning Ford. I believe the no. 12 is a Victoria, BC, car of Dave Cooper.

That no. 5 might be Stocky Stockwell. Definitely looks like Aurora Stadium, Seattle.

12. I saw this car last week. It is in a private collection in Calif.
    HG

Attached Files:

hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  13. Here are some of it's pardners.
    HG

Attached Files:

14. Here was my pick of the litter. This car is soooo cool. One of very few.
    HG

Attached Files:

15. Two identifications from Mel Anthony, racer, author and all round good guy:

Leo Wahal (spl?) (Wahl, I believe) who was from Portland, and was also on my pit crew when we raced the Lathrop Offy in Oregon.

The # 15 big car is Zeke Zigler in my old Cragar, in 1948 after I had sold it to Dick Barber. It here has the Rudy Moller engine that I sold Dick with the car. The Cragar came with those God- ugly exhaust headers!!

16. Mel Anthony also reports that his son Dennis, also a racer from the near past, has acquired a restored Shilala Offy. Dennis, with assistance from Mel will be racing it with the Golden Wheels crew.

The car is going from Jerry Day's shop (that's Jerry in the last photo) to Dennis' shop even as I type this.

Attached Files:

17. The story I got was this, as of course I remember it.

Travers and Coon were'nt the only ones to have messed with FI up to those days, they just happened to make it work on a race car. Training for FI came from working on WWII airplanes during the war. There's a whole lot to this story but it is an interesting one for sure.

18. sideways27

sideways27

LONG SHOT, Anyone know of or have information regarding any 1937 Hillegass Midget's. I have one and am seeking any information or where I can find info. I have done research on the internet but have met with limited results. This could be a great project, just not sure what I have gotten myself into here.

19. tex44 has a '39 , you'll find him here--
    http://www.ssmamidgets.com/texas/index.php?act=idx

20. racer5c

racer5c

Check here
    http://www.emmr.org/
    Lynn Paxton who runs the museum knows a LOT about Hiram Hilligas

21. jimg12

jimg12

Mac,
    At Dayton one year they had three 33 lappers. Half of the first 33 and half of the second 33 made up the final 33. Sonny Ates won the first and third for a clean sweep. I think that is the day he set a new world's record and he got 1000 Sliver dollars. That was one of the best drives I have ever seen. Nobody was even close to beating him that day in the Iddings car. Once when he was lapping a car he was so high he took the lapped car by surprise and the lapped car turned left so hard he almost lost it and the two touched as Sonny was going by[Sonny never lifted]. You were probably there that day.
    Sonny is having some bad health problems now and Judy will read any emails to him.
    [email protected]
    Jim Graybeal

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

In the begining Travers was Hilborns partner in the F.I. biz. They split up, but remained friends and Travers went on to first use Hilborn injection on Kecks 1949 entry, but only to qualify and then switched to carbs for the race.

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Jimmy, I was there that day and remember it well. Sonny was on his game. Here's a photo I found on the daytonspeedwaylives.com site from that day. Earl Baltes looks pretty happy for a guy who just lost a $1,000 bet.

[​IMG]

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

That's a good looking machine, the exhaust looks like a y-block but the 4 bolt valve covers are different. Something special?

Attached Files:

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Indy Indoor Open wheel Swap was pretty good this morning. I got a few thing on my list and it was well attended.

Saw a few familiar faces, and some goofy surfer fag's buddy. (Thanks for the picture!) :D

JD

------------------------------

Hey all, Tomorrow on Spike TV, "Hot Rod TV" Has the "Walker Spl." Shaw built Sprint Car on it's episode with Courtney Hanson.

Check it out if you get a chance. Thanks!

(It was on today around 10:00 a.m. as well, but I chose to go chase old parts instead):D

26. Rotta14

Rotta14

Anybody have any pictures of drivers who may have raced for West Coast
    Midget owner, Don Kischell ? 1950s-thru 70s ?
    Hope you can help.

27. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Yes they ARE something special: They're Dixons. Originally designed/built for a lumber company in the Pacific N.W. that wanted more power for their Ford trucks. A familiar theme--that's why the ARDUNS were designed.

28. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Hey Josh, Caught the show today and the car looks great!-Tom Bliss

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thanks Dale, thats very interesting. I'm no Ford historian, by any means, but can't say I've ever heard of them. Did they make them for other engines or just Fords?

30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Dean Thompson

Attached Files: