Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wicked idea! Need help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NintendoKD, Jan 25, 2009.

1. NintendoKD

NintendoKD

I am the proud owner of a 1954 Plymouth Savoy and I had this crazy Idea "yeah, thats me in a nutshell" After reading and researching on engine swaps, upgrades and other crap I decided that "like all us MOfanatics" that I didn't want to take the highroad and wanted to do something truly unique. I wanted power, "don't we all" and loads of it but I soon realized with such a limited setup power would be near impossible to create. I needed overhead cam power. The search was on, I searched far and wide finally discovering that pontiac made an inline six with overhead cam "something to base my design off of" I also needed the crank from the 59 coronet six, to match the 230 specs for bore and stroke on the plymouth overhead cam sprint. Ok, to break this down four valves per cylinder and high compression due to the sprint head and I of course would have to swap the valves, cams, pistons "HEMI?" How does this sound? couple that with a set of triple weber sidedraughts and a custom intake. The idea is to keep the stock block and get a master machinist "old timer variety" to use the head as a template to create the one that I want. This is where the HAMB comes into play, I need help, BIG TIME I have the dream, the desire, the determination, and the imagination. I really want to make this happen, I do mean it. I really don't want to hear criticism "constructive only please" and scepticism. I am tired of everyone telling me that this is impossible or that no one will do it or why don't you just SWAP THE ENGINE...... DAMN IT! I SAID IT BEFORE I DON'T WANT TO SWAP THE ENGINE!!!!!! I want to keep it MOPAR if our ancestors had that kind of attitude we simply wouldn't be where we are today.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide,

Cpl Kevin A. Davies USMC

www.myspace.com/okinawalife
    invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

2. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin

I am with you in spirit-but there is quite a bit to machining a head from a hunk of aluminium. The chambers are real easy, could almost do them by hand. The intake and exhaust ports/runners, not too bad. the head bolts-easy, the valve guides/passages not too bad. External oiling system for the rockers/cam-ok.Even the cam supports, not horrible. But how do you get the water passages in there? you would need to make it in an upper and lower half. It COULD be done, but the time to draw it up, do the blueprinting, and then finding a machinist willing to do it... I think at $10/hr, you will run out of money fast. And let's face it, NO ONE will do something like that for $10/hr.

It could be done, but you would need to be able to do most of the work yourself to make it close to affordable.

3. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

So I guess the next logical question is how much of it can you do yourself?

Sounds like a rad idea. I had guys tell me that I couldnt supercharge a volvo motor, I proved them wrong. I say do it if you can afford it...

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The Pontiac head was a single cam with two valves arranged the same as the 250 Chevy six that it was derived from. Don't see how it is goung to help. Now you could look at Toyota who I believe had a DOHC 4 valve head inline six. It's aluminum and could maybe be cut up and welded to work. Or since your going to that much work maybe use two heads from a V6 of which there are many with DOHC 4 valve configuration. Best yet, since your block is aranged with cylinders 1&2-3&4 and 5&6 having the same bore spacing but 2&3- and 4&5 having another bore spaceing, why not get 3 Subaru heads and make something from that. It has been done before. Just bring lots and lots of money.

5. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

In Europe GM had 4-valve twincam straight six's in Vauxhall/Opel Senators up until the 90s...

On the other hand, ask the Aussie's on here about thier factory Webber-fed straight-6 HEMI E-49 Valiant Chargers!!! :cool:

[​IMG]

6. I understand your "mopar" only quest...being a mopar man and all...but of the suggestions so far I like the thought of importing a Aussie Hemi Six and putting that in your car!!:D

7. GlenC

GlenC

The Aussie 'hemi' 6 isn't really a hemi-head engine, it had combustion chambers vaguely similar to a hemispherical shape, but don't let the truth get in the way of a good advertising gimmick, OK? That said they are a strong, hard working inline 6, available in 215, 235 and 265 ci capacities, but don't sven consider trying to find a genuine E49, they're rarer than the proverbial rocking horse poo, and even more expensive.

Back in the 60's I knew a bloke who wanted to put a 12 port head on an old Holden 6, which had siamese ports. he found a longer inline 6 head that had the ports he wanted, and he sliced it up into 12 individual, single cylinder 'head' pieces, trimmed them to fit over the bores, and welded the whole lot back together. He then redrilled all the bolt holes and water jacket holes, then ran a tube from the top of the radiator along the top of the head with individual inlet holes drilled and tapped into the top of the head. Everything worked fine and the car ran like stink.

Maybe you could do the same with your block, using aluminium heads would at least be easier to cut than the cast iron one used in the 60's!

Cheers, Glen.

8. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

putting a blower on a volvo is simple compared to what this guy wants to do.

as far as this guy is concerned you can do anything you want as long as you have the money, time and skills. if your only doing it because people say you cant or shouldn't you are falling into to this trap these dumbass kids get into today thinking they are going to do something never done or never thought of never realizing nobody really gives a s*#t. build your own stuff for yourself. nobody else really cares. while your playing around with this junk (dont mean the car) the rest of the folks are having fun with they're rods. no offense...just reality. vaya con Dios

9. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

The 265 "Hemi" was rated @ 302HP and ran a 14.4 1/4 mile straight off the showroom floor in 1972.

10. Sorry to correct you glen as i'm sure it was just a typo but it's 245 not 235

nintendokid; had you ever considered a 230 ci kaiser Ohc hemi 6 from a willys pickup or m715. these motors are called a tornado and were later used in Argentina the engine name changed to torino and then became a 7 main bearing. as kaiser became Amc and Amc became chrysler it kinda keeps it mopar. these motors were 140 hp from the factory but are capable of much more power. just a thought and it takes a bit of reaserch to find the info but maybe it's what your lookin for. Just an idea, moon.dog

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
    Scramboleer likes this.
  11. how 'bout putting a straight 6 from an early '60s Jaguar XK-E ? It's not a mopar, but it's a pretty cool looking engine.

12. Squablow

Squablow

Also, square tires!

Really though, do some research on companies like Ardun and Frontenac, they were making OHV heads for flatheads as far back as the 20's. Personally if I was going to do it I would cut up some form of stock head, piece it together and then use it to make a one piece or two piece (upper and lower) casting.

13. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

You are in 29 Psalms,CA? Come in out of the sun. Mother Mopar put the L-6 to sleep in 1959 and came out with the slant 6. That was 50 years ago. The Pontiac OHC 6 had 7 main bearings like the chevy, tough bottom end, the L-6 botton end is known for being weak.
    Do What Chrysler did in 1955 to go fast, remove the radiator cap from your 54 Savoy and drive a 1955 C300 under it, later replace the cap.
    They told us in the Air Force, You can always tell a Marine, you just can't tell him much.
    Don't get angry at this, point, laff & go on. Laugh loud!

Lucky667

14. 46binder

46binder
    from Kenosha,Wi

Try to search out Earl Edgerton, he hops up dodge 230's, makes finned aluminum heads for them. I know thats not what you want, but he helped one of his friends with an old Dodge truck and made it fuel injected and had a sort of Jeep like f head overhead valve type, really wild stuff.

15. BMW (or Mercedes) heads may be a good starting point. They made plenty of twin cam multi valve six cylinder motors, and with alloy heads, so easier to modify.

16. This is a pic of the tornado engine i was talking about in my previous post.
    I have some more pics of these motors if you like but this was the best looking
    Here is a link with more info
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Tornado_engine

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  17. SLAMED 59

SLAMED 59

i did that to my 55 f100 used 72 xj6 4.3 every time someone looked they were like wtf:D

18. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

Nice!! :cool:

The ol' Jag I-6 is a little more trad than ya might think! :cool:

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THdUMMM2cZ0

Even late model 4.0 Jag motors are plenty tough cause the block was designed for a diesel version that didn't happen..
    No lucas curse either!

Hey Nintendo! What about a Jeep 4.0? Very strong little donkey! :cool:</EMBED>

19. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I would go with the XJ Jag six. This is the traditional upright Jag six with dual overhead cams, hemispherical heads, and the prettiest look of any six ever, period. The last of them came in at 4.2 liters and you can easily find running (or runnable) late-80s XJ6 sedans for the cost of hauling them away.

The later slant 6 Jag engine - the AJ6 engine IIRC - is a nice unit but not as pretty but it is 4 valves per cylinder. IMHO slant 6 engines look lame.

The AJ6 head uses the same bore spacing and head bolt pattern as the Jag V12. So in theory you can cobble a four valve V12 if you were motivated enough. One head would have to be cut and welded to get the cam drive at the right end.....

When I was 16 I wanted to install an XK engine and four-speed into my 50 Plymouth. But at the time you could not find Jaguars in Brooklyn junkyards. So I ended us installing a 283 out of a Checker Marathon (not a taxicab, though).

If you were real creative maybe you could install the Jag XJ head onto your flathead short block. I don't understand why you would ever want to do that, though. The MoPar flathead six lower end is not that strong. The rods are like chicken bones. You are missing a couple of main bearings. The lubrication system sucks.

It is hard enought keeping these things alive with the stock 97 HP. With your plan, the top end of the engine would be WAY ahead of the lower end.

So, perchance you are better off replacing the entire thing with some other cool 6 cylinder. The Jag engine certainly is cool.

Just my .02.

20. check out a place called "Uncommon Engineering"

what you want is right up their alley

bring a HUGE wad of money

21. Oldsmopile

Oldsmopile

If I was that enthusiastic about it, I would go get a degree in mechanical engineering. Then in your spare time, go get as many books on sand casting as you can. Then start experimenting. Cast your own head and have somebody machine it.

22. Frank L. hughes

Frank L. hughes

Check with ALLPAR, last time I looked they had Mopar Hemi-6 listed. :cool:

23. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I'd go with a 225 Slant Six. Clifford performance has go fast goodies for it and it's all Mopar. In essence, what you're wanting to do is turn your straight six into a slant that doesn't slant. Bone stock, the slant had 225 HP and 12.5:1 compression. You'll save yourself a gazillion dollars by swapping. I know you don't want to, but the reality is that no one this side of Bill Gates can afford to do all the stuff you want to do to your boat anchor of an engine and get any kind of performance out of it. Sorry.

BTW...Semper Fi. Gotta love 29 Stumps! (ya poor devil)

24. JDL

JDL

Hello.. since you have a 54 Savoy you should see this 54 "Sniper" check the picture linkbelow.. jdl

http://www.calcruising.com/1954PlymouthBelvedereHotRodBestOfShow.html

25. Wildfire

Wildfire

I've seen a head for a Ford flat fours milled from two pieces and then bolted back together. It's one alternative to casting in the water jacket.

26. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

Here's a few pics of Edgerton's one-off "F"head Mopar six...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't know if he'd make another, but I doubt it...

A simple hop up of your flathead six will put a huge smile on your face, along with everyone who peeks under the hood...

[​IMG]

And you'll have it on the road in a fraction of the time.

Pete

27. NintendoKD

NintendoKD

the same edgy that grinds cams? :cool:how do I get a hold of this guy?

28. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Thought you had the slant six head all doped out. <TABLE id=contactInfo _no_widget="true"><TBODY><TR><TD class=iData>[email protected] </TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY><TR><TD class=line_sepa></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Good luck. I doubt he will be making another head.

29. I didn't know that the fed paid that much.

Its more than doable because I know that about anything can be done. I personally would like to see it happen just becsue I'm a little twisted.

I'm going to assume that your biggest obstacle is going to be money. And what will you have when your done? Just playing devils advocate here. If your set on doing it then find yourself a foundery that is willing to cast a one off and get after it.

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

On your end of the state you might try to look up Pete Adema. Maybe spelled wrong. He is always making OHC heads for what ever he feels like. Lataly he put two Suburu twin cam heads on a Ford B and that thing is fast. Three might be a good idea for your Ply. If you were up here a friend is cleaning out his shop and threw out a pile of aluminum ricer heads. Said I could have what I wanted. Aluminum is good for cutting and welding and relocating bolt holes and such