Register now to get rid of these ads!

duels on a shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yblock292, Jan 27, 2009.

1. yblock292

yblock292

Whats the trick, got my 50 on the lift looks like the spare tire well and gas tank are in the way for a nice set of duels , but i looking at the shoebox threads see alot of them and they look like they are evenly spaced ????If the right hand runs in the stock location between the tire well and the tank , what about the left hand , can you run it under the tank?

2. yblock292

yblock292

BTT hey wheres all the shoebox guys?

3. Pistols or sabres?

4. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

5. I've had lot's of exhaust done that prior when looking I thought No Way. A quality Custom exhaust shop will do you a good job. I have a 51 Vicky now and know what you mean. They half to get pretty creative sometimes. I think the trick is to have the Car low enough you can't see beyond the Tips at how they get them even. I'm lucky to have a local Guy that's real talented.
    The Wizzard

6. Buz

Buz

The drivers side will fit between the spring and the gas tank. I had 1 3/4" exhaust run on my 50 with pencil tip chrome ends evenly spaced at the bumper. They can be tucked up out of sight with no problem. They have been on the car for about 8 years.

7. Yeah.I thought there was a fight comin' up:D

8. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Wrap around the gas tank to the right, turn and tuck out the back. Thats how my Mercs were with duals, one of my shoeboxes had it dump infront of the rear wheels, that is probably why!

9. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I have heard that a 6 cyl exhast runs on the other side and you can use the 6 cyl pipe to put duals on a V8 shoebox.
    Never looked into it though.

Shoebox guy in Newton, KS

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  10. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Well that was a crock.
    I went to the Evil bay and looked at 6 cyl cars and the tail pipe is on the same side as a V8
    I'll put that old timer on the full of shit list.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  11. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Two fixes you may not like. Smash the spare tire well with a sledge for clearance(worked for me), remove it all together, or best yet remove the stock tank and replace with a 66-70 mustang unit, which eliminates the spare well too. My duals are fine.

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

This works on '52 up Ford 6 - '41-'51 6 exhaust system is on the same side as V8.

13. Oldsmopile

Oldsmopile

I have twice pipes on mine with a stock gas tank and spare tire well. I'll take some pics tomorrow. I think you may just need a good exhaust man:)

14. yblock292

yblock292

Great thanks for all the help , got a good exhaust guy here in wichita i'll take it to.

15. Steve M

Steve M

I confess that I have not been under there to determine the routing but the dual exhaust on my '50 exits right where the rear bumper guards are on the stock bumper. I still have a spare tire well so nothing has been smashed in that area. I'd be happy to swing by your place with it this weekend if you'd like to study the routing.

16. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

I cut up a couple of U-bends from speedway and ran the right on around the tank and out directly under where the bumper guards were

17. Oldsmopile

Oldsmopile

[​IMG]
    Left side
    [​IMG]
    Right side
    [​IMG]

18. Oldsmopile

Oldsmopile

It's tight, but nothing touches anywhere.

19. Oldsmopile

Oldsmopile

Oh, here is what the tips look like.
    [​IMG]

20. That looks very nice Oldsy, I'm very proud of you. I hate to be the one to tell you, but you put your leaf springs on upside down.

21. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

only 3 leafs and 3 or 4" blocks? That must be looooow but what a rough ride. are those springs just sagging and old or upside down or ?

22. draginsteel

draginsteel

Thanks for the help, when I bought my junkyard 49 shoebox it had duals on it. Because the car was not lowered, there didn't seemed to be a clearance problem. There is a factory cut hole in one of the crossmembers of the frame on the passenger side. I have cut a matching hole on the other side so the tubes will fit higher into the frame and up over the rear end, from there as shown in the previous pictures run the pipes right near the rear springs.

I was planning on running straight pipes from the headers with no glass packs out past the bumpers . Anybody think I'll have any problems?

Attached Files:

23. yblock292

yblock292

look last night , thanks for all the info and pix ready to go.

24. Oldsmopile

Oldsmopile

Those are Jamco de-arched springs for a 52-54 ford merc with 3" blocks. It rides awesome. Just like a stock one, doesn't bottom out or nothing!

25. De-arched, upside down, same shit. No wait, de-arched sounds more expensive. Ha Ha, and you can't tell me that rattle trap doesn't ride a little bit like ass.

26. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

thats how mine were ran and they were run underneath the rearend

just follow the springs in the back and yer fine

27. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

[​IMG]

Heres mine. Sorry no underside pics. My exhaust guy told me to bend one brake line out of the way. It was right on the pipe.